2015 PF/C Elijah Thomas was at the Minnesota Game 1/2/14

According to his 247 page and some other sites around.

I realize he was likely there for the Gophers, but hopefully watching Horford have a good game might pique his interest in Michigan again. Anyone hear anything more recent about him that I’ve missed?

UM 2015 recruiting news has been sparse. Last I checked we were in on that 6’7’’ PF Evan Bodereaux from Illinois. Exactly what we need after McGary and Horford leave, more tweeners.

UM 2015 recruiting news has been sparse. Last I checked we were in on that 6'7'' PF Evan Bodereaux from Illinois. Exactly what we need after McGary and Horford leave, more tweeners.

We are just following Boudreaux at this point - as are a lot of schools. He has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Vandy and the like. Plan B and not being recruited as a 5 by Beilein.

First of all, Ricky Doyle is definitely not a tweener and will be going into his sophomore season. I’m sure Doyle will be up to around 6’9 250 at that point.

Second of all, Mark Donnal will be going into his 3rd year and most likely be around 6’9 245.

Second of all, in what world is a 6’7 220 pound 16 year old considered a tweener? Even if that was his playing height/weight in two years, that is not abnormally small for a PF. I would expect someone 6’7 220 as a 16 year to put on some weight and maybe even a little bit of height in two years.

Elijah Thomas wasn’t there.

First of all, Ricky Doyle is definitely not a tweener and will be going into his sophomore season. I'm sure Doyle will be up to around 6'9 250 at that point.

Second of all, Mark Donnal will be going into his 3rd year and most likely be around 6’9 245.

Second of all, in what world is a 6’7 220 pound 16 year old considered a tweener? Even if that was his playing height/weight in two years, that is not abnormally small for a PF. I would expect someone 6’7 220 as a 16 year to put on some weight and maybe even a little bit of height in two years.

I’m sorry, I rarely agree with MattD but if we don’t get a defensive anchor in the next recruiting class then we aren’t making the progress into a top tier national team. Donnal and Doyle aren’t anchoring any kind of defenses. A undersized PF who is known for shooting isn’t helping either.

Other thoughts…

1. I have heard there is mutual interest in Perry Dozier Jr. If this is true, you take him over Brunson in a heartbeat if given the choice.

2. Kosta Antetokounmpo, brother of Bucks’ rookie Giannis, is playing in Wisconsin with Diamond Stone. Class of 2016. Remember the name.

Are we still involved with Stone? Really need at least 1 maybe 2 big men from 2015 to contribute right away. Wish there was more news out there about the class

Also what are the odds we have 5 ships for 15? Mitch, Nik, Glenn then maybe Hatch and Max?

Elijah Thomas wasn't there.

https://twitter.com/EliCTMDThomas15/status/418892617376878592

Hah, well I apologize for passing along bad info.

The idea that you need a “defensive anchor” in the post is absurd. Let’s look at some top teams this year.

Oklahoma St.: Biggest two players in their rotation are 6’8 230 and 6’8 220.
Syracuse: Biggest two players are are 6’9 250 and 6’10 220. Combined they average less than 7 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game.
Duke: Biggest player is 6’9 210. They are forced to play Jabari Parker who should be playing SF/PF at the 5 sometimes.
UConn: Has three bigs that are 6’10 or bigger. One, the 7 foot 217lber, can block shots and that’s about it. The other two (6’10 230 and 6’10 212) are terrible. Combined, the three average 34 minutes, 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds.

Other top 25 teams without a “defensive anchor”:
North Carolina, San Diego St., Villanova, Oregon, Wichita St., Florida, Iowa St… and I could include others because their “defensive anchor” is average at best, but to be fair I’ll just stick with these ones.

Are Duke, Syracuse, UConn, North Carolina, and Florida not top tier programs? What is your definition of top tier, anyways? I mean, Butler isn’t a “top tier” program, but they made back to back National Championship games without a “defensive anchor”.

Players like Mitch McGary don’t grow on trees. A lot of teams have moved from having a true center a G-G-G-F-F or G-G-F-F-F lineup. Teams that do have Centers often deal with that Center being a liability on one end of the court. If it was so easy to find elite post players and “defensive anchors”, then teams like North Carolina and Duke would not be weak inside.

Lastly, you did it again. In WHAT WORLD is a 6’7 220 pound 16 year old PF considered undersized and a tweener? When is the last time Michigan had a 6’7 220 pound player at the 4?

For reference:
Glenn Robinson III? Came in at at 6’6 200. Now 6’6 202.
Zack Novak? Played PF at 6’5 210.
Blake McLimans? Came in at 6’10 210.
Evan Smotrycz? Came in at 6’9 210.
Jon Horford? Came in at 6’8 210.

The kids is 6’7 220 at 16 years old. He is already decent size for a PF and still has two summers of growth/development/adding strength before he steps foot on a college campus. How can you objectively call him a tweener?

The point stands that if we go from Horford/McGary/Morgan to Wilson/Doyle/Donnal, we will be horrific in the interior. All the teams you try to compare us to don’t have problems defending on the perimeter or being an exceptional rebounding team. Not to mention they have more size than us by your standards. Why would we need a 6’7’’ tweener when we have Wilson/Chatman/Donnal?

Zach Novak is not the rule but an exception. The other guys you mentioned have all had their problems that have hurt us at times.

Unless Trey Burke comes walking through that door next year, we need a true bigman in our rotation because our offense isn’t going to be enough to get to FF consistently.

ALSO

I honestly don’t see the reason to freak out. Our front court will not be undersized. Less size than this year? Yes, nearly every team in the country has less size than our front court this year. We will have more size than our no-McGary team, though.

6’9 250lb Ricky Doyle, sophomore. (compared to 6’10 250lb Horford)
6’9 245lb Mark Donnal, RS sophomore. (compared to 6’8 250lb Morgan)
6’8 235lb D.J. Wilson, sophomore.
6’7 245lb Max Bielfeldt, RS sophomore. (compared to 6’7 245lb Bielfeldt)
6’7 220lb Kameron Chatman, sophomore. (compared to 6’6 220lb GRIII)

Going into 2015, our roster looks like:
PG: Walton (Jr.) / Albrecht (Sr.)
SG/SF: LeVert (Sr.), Stauskas (Sr.), Irvin (Jr.), Chatman (So.)
PF/C: Doyle (So.), Donnal (So.), Wilson (So.), Bielfeldt (Sr.), Chatman (So.)

Honestly, I think the biggest need for 2015 is Wing, followed by PG, followed by Post.
Stauskas and Irvin are both realistic candidates to go pro after next season. They both have NBA size and NBA skills. That would leave us with absolutely no depth in 2015. Missing out on Blackmon, Booker. Chatman’s versatility will mask that, but I really feel that we need to land an elite SG (Jalen Coleman or Luke Kennard) and another good SG/SF.

I don’t know how many elite PGs would like to come in and sit behind a Junior (Walton) and a Senior (Albrecht). I realize the talent difference, but having that much experience at PG is nice so Albrecht would still get his 8-12mpg. That is why I think Coleman is the best target, because he can play SG while Walton/Abrecht are here, and then transition to PG.

All of our Bigs are going to be low-ceiling, 4 year players. I’m fine with this as long we can keep re-stocking our back court with elite guards and wings.

You are confusing defensive anchor with size, just because you have size doesn’t necessarily mean you can alter shots and rebound. Donnal and Doyle look to be suspect as interior defenders because they lack lateral mobility and jumping. In other words, size/weight isn’t enough, athleticism is needed as well.

I think the small difference in defense between Doyle/Donnal is offset by the small difference in offense.

If Michigan can win a share of the Big Ten title with our 4 and 5s being Morgan, Horford, McLimans, Novak, and Smotrycz, then I don’t think the sky is falling with Doyle, Donnal, Wilson, Chatman and (insert recruit here).

Also, I listed a handful of top 25 teams without “defensive anchors”. What gives? I thought you need a defensive anchor to be good.

First off, what is a “top 25” other than an arbitrary number that coaches/media assess to teams based on where they think a team’s value is at a given time?

Basketball is unlike football in the sense that championships are actually determined on the court.

I will say this, 9 out of the past 13 NCAA champions have been ranked in the top 20 of defensive efficiency. So perhaps you don’t place the same value on defense that I do, but I’ll stick by my guns and say that a program can’t sustain success long term by out scoring teams, especially from the perimeter.

Quit taking things out of context and exaggerating, I never stated the sky is falling, but currently, we are not a legitimate threat for a national championship, so obviously we need to improve the current team and balance the roster in recruiting according to weaknesses. I think almost everyone would concur that our biggest deficiency as a team is defense. Seems to make perfect sense that we should focus our recruiting efforts on defensive oriented players, particularly defensive post players, but instead we should prioritize a wing?

You’re taking one year which was an anomaly and acting like it can be the standard to win. More often than not, a team isn’t winning with that talent in the front court. An outlier year does not change that. You can’t offense to death a team to a championship unless you have a Trey Burke. which is someone only bluebloods get commitments from year in and year out.

I think the small difference in defense between Doyle/Donnal is offset by the small difference in offense.

If Michigan can win a share of the Big Ten title with our 4 and 5s being Morgan, Horford, McLimans, Novak, and Smotrycz, then I don’t think the sky is falling with Doyle, Donnal, Wilson, Chatman and (insert recruit here).

Funny that you list Duke and UCONN and both lost. Syracuse was pushed and UNC has lost a ton already.

Don’t ever, and I mean ever, cite this year’s edition of Duke in support of your theory on defense. You lost some credibility with that. 2013 Duke is almost allergic to defense.

And Duke will still be a contender come March. You don’t need a defensive stopper to have a good team.