All-Beilein Era Team: Point Guard

Thanks for the clarification, so running more stuff through the 3 is why the 4 is in position to make cuts on the baseline. So, mirrored on paper different in usage.

Hah. I was just wondering how you would generate content. Great idea.

I think you are hugely underrating Morris, both as an individual player and as a program maker. On the individual level, he was best, most indispensable player on the team his entire sophomore year. Walton (not hating!) achieved that for only half a season. Simpsonā€™s role is so unique it is hard to analyze his game. Iā€™m not sure he has ever been best player on a team, but without question he has been indispensable the last two years.

Re program impact, it may be impossible to overstate how important Morris was as a recruit and as a player. He was the answer to the Can Beilein Recruit thundercloud that circles the program. And those wins against Duke and UCLA were so massive. Like the tide had changed. So fundamental.

I would put Morris 3rd behind Simpson I think, but I would not argue if Morris was #2. Walton slips to 4. (what a great set of point guards!)

3 Likes

If you are going to ding Walton for being a flash in the pan so to speak, you probably have to ding Morris because that was really just one year. Morris meant a lot for the program when he committed and was in part of that initial rebuild phaseā€¦ Not trying to knock him at all. But Walton won a Big Ten, Big Ten Tourney, made NCAA tourney runs, etc. all as the starting PG.

Walton won a lot more bc he was surrounded by MUCH better teammates. To me, best way to rank is on how long were you best player on a team. You are right that it was one year for Morris. But 1 is greater than 1/2! Honestly, any order 2-3-4 is reasonably arguable, IMO.

1 Like

You left out one other item about Trey Burke - that was a clean block.

10 Likes

I was crossing my fingers to be able to read this

Spike Albrecht will always be remembered for scoring 17 points in the first half of the National Championship against vacated.

Maybe next time :wink:

4 Likes

My boy Trey Burke does work, never forget.

2 Likes