What’s the mistake?

Edit - mistake :disappointed_relieved:

Feels I’m living in a different reality :rofl:

Hope you guys realize this is in regards to the women’s team

6 Likes

Ohhh wow. It is different reality then. :grin:

1 Like

Again – what am I missing?

@kentsch has been writing a regular column on the women’s team all year.

2 Likes

Y’all gotta look a little more closely at that lead-in photo. :joy:

4 Likes

Yes, I saw mistake, opened the link, got confused. That’s what happens when multi tasking doing work and reading umhoops.

Anyways, moving on…

1 Like

I believe the original mistake comment was an edit. It used to say “3pm Saturday” and was edited to say “mistake” as an acknowledgement that he had made a mistake before later realizing it was talking about the women’s team.

1 Like

My original comment.

1 Like

Fifth article all season doesnt feel “regular”… can we at least get a different tag on these articles because it isnt super intuitive to change gears from everything being about the men’s program to a handful of articles on the womens

1 Like

It is tagged differently on the main site. We received a lot of requests to add WBB hoops this year.

Update: Added a new message board for it as well.

3 Likes

I am not against the women’s content. I particularly dont have much interest in it, but am fine with it being around. For me (and maybe I am alone on this) I dont go to the main site hardly ever anymore unless the forums link me there to an article bc the forums let me know when an article hits. Just asking for a different tag like below

2 Likes

Thanks for the breakdown Kent. Have you seen anything written about the relative likelihood of an upset in the Tournament based on seeding? I think of the women’s game as being pretty top heavy (just a perception, not sure if still true to the same extent), so I’d guess major upsets of like top 2-3-4 seeds are less common than in the men’s game. And is that more or less true for somewhat lower (5 or 6) seeds? Would be interested in seeing a breakdown if you’re aware of one.

1 Like

This article from FiveThirtyEight goes into it. There’s a graph about halfway down that’s quite aesthetically pleasing. Generally, the top seed wins more often in the women’s tournament than the men’s for every seed except 8. But it also shows that the 6-seed is as vulnerable as the 7-seed in the women’s game. I also went through the last five tournaments and (not counting 8-9 matchups) 7 of the 19 first-round upsets were 11-seeds beating 6-seeds. Nine were in 7-10 matchups and there were only three 5-12 upsets.

3 Likes

Incredible. Thank you Kent. This is exactly what I was interested in. Crazy that you’re looking at a ~10 point gap comparing the men’s and women’s game from seeds 3-7, except for a ~20 point gap for 5 seeds and a much smaller gap for 6’s. But seems like the lack of parity just means very little leftover for teams at the bottom than craziness up and down the bracket (outside of the top 3-4).

Yeah the women’s tournament is much more about the second and third weekends and the quality of basketball in those games than it is about the chaos, like the first men’s weekend is. But going through those recent tournaments the margin of victory is definitely going down for the top seeds, which bodes well for a shrinking talent gap.

3 Likes

Great job Kent and thanks. I’m 74 years old and I have no trouble deciphering the womens from the mens. Some of these posters make much-a-do about nothing. :wink:

4 Likes