2023 NBA Playoffs Thread

They’re gonna have to pay up for Reaves

Oh for sure. $25 mil a year at least. There is some “Arenas Rule” relating to second rounders that I don’t understand but am told it makes the re-signing more complicated.

1 Like

I have a silly theory (that i’m pretty into, shock) about bigs in the NBA being more interesting and relatable to root for bc their height gets them a pass thru filters that other guys had to put in the work and discipline and insane devotion to get thru. So they sulk and or get bored or quit or whatever until they remember that, oh right, basketball is a thing i’m supposed to be good at.

Lebron has never REALLY been that guy, but I do think his genius and size has meant he’s been willing to indulge Not Winning more than some and it adds to what makes him interesting.

1 Like

I’m pretty fascinated by his comments last night honestly. He never actually said he was considering retirement (he said he had lots to think about regarding his basketball future, and while that could be retirement, it isn’t necessarily)

I still tend to think he’s going to stick it out until Bronny, but he could mean that he’s thinking about where to play/how to play his remaining time. It seems like a title team with on it is probably one where he’s mostly the third guy, but can rev it up to being the guy for the final minutes or so when called upon? I don’t think that’s the Lakers?

Do you think he’ll retire after next year or after Bronny’s first year?

But, yes to everything about he’s remarkably well-adjusted for someone who was anointed The King at such a young age. He had crazy hype and somehow lived up to it. I already feel bad for Wembanyama because I don’t think he can possibly live up to his hype.

Lakers could draft Kobe just for his namesake.

This is just a guy watching his TV here, so FWIW, but he seems to be in shock after loosing playoff series he was obviously going to lose. Not necessarily totally connected to reality. As they showed him bailing while all the other Lakers were shaking hands, I saw the same look on his face as after the Cavs lost to the Warriors the first time. Seemingly unable to process it. I don’t know what that means, but he’ll surely feel different about it tomorrow than yesterday.

2 Likes

Duncan has them spooked. Freeing up wide open cutters to the basket.

Celtics showing some heart and effort on D which turns into transition opportunities which turns into easy buckets? And they’re the younger team…

Lebron is a very unique character who happens to have played during the same time as another GOAT in Messi who is somewhat similar to him in career trajectory and a relatable identity as just some guy who is ridiculously good at ball. Messi recieved comparisons to Maradona from the age of 17 while Lebron was expected to be the best prospect ever.

FWIW- He did do a couple of quick handshakes/hugs before bolting.

3 Likes

There was that Brady guy too, though he took a much different path.

Big era for GOAT-like players.

2 Likes

Brady is not similar at all. He wasn’t anointed the GOAT at the age of 16.

1 Like

He’s also, unlike Lebron, a complete freak.

2 Likes

Thus the “much different path” part of my post.

I was pointing out that this era has produced some of the best their respective sports have ever seen.

uh oh…Boston winning big

I want as many games as possible, but it would be nice if more of them were competitive

don’t worry. Miami will win this game

2 Likes

no they won’t. they are getting smoked

How can you ever win a game without Gabe Vincent?

1 Like