2022 NBA Summer League Open Thread

Yeah, if anything the Beilein guys were the opposite. They were great in college, got drafted high, and were just ok in the NBA. Under Juwan there just isn’t enough data yet…and one summer league game from Houstan where he outplayed every one of his college games isn’t worth that “take”.

Poole and Duncan out played their draft spots, but only after rebuilding their game in the GLeague. AND even Poole was a first rounder.

1 Like

Watching a replay of the Pistons game. Tried to stay up for it but fell asleep about 3 seconds after tip-off. Livers had a tough game shooting but I was impressed with his defense. Had a few fantastic blocks (and another negated by a teammate foul).

1 Like

I was fairly impressed by Ivey’s ability to make passing reads. Ball placement on those passes is a different story.

1 Like

It was Webberesque.

3 Likes

Poole, D. Robinson, Hardaway and LeVert somewhat offset Burke and Stauskas. Basically, the recent rule seems to be: take a Wolverine after pick 20 and you’re golden.

Ivey was a little Bambi on skates in the first half. Beilein is going to have to dust off the Charles Matthews drills.

5 Likes

First quarter, I was very impressed with his reads. I’m sure the better spacing helps a ton. Just needs to get more refined but I was very encouraged

DJ Wilson too was pick 17. He was kind of a predictable bust though.

You’re also forgetting McGary and DJ Wilson and Moe Wagner. Pretty wild to think that DJ is still playing summer league after being a mid first round pick several years ago

He tried to go hard at the beginning but he calmed down and was able to use his athleticism effectively. I’m encouraged by his performance and he’ll improve from there. I don’t see the concern with the shooting. It’s not as bad as the detractors made it out to be but it’s a workable shot. He shot 2 for 5(should’ve been 3 for 6) and went 6 for 6 in FTs. As long as he shoots 35-38% from 3 pt, it’s more than good enough to take advantage of his athleticism.

1 Like

Is Burke actually a bust? I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a pretty typical career for a 9th pick. Stauskas is the big one.

Bust is a strong word, but he’s barely been relevant in his career. I know the NBA draft is just a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets that rarely pay off, but I think you’d expect a top ten pick to be a solid rotation player at least.

1 Like

If anyone has a sports reference membership they can pull up the stats of all #9 picks and find the average Win Shares or something

There’s been some v good #9 picks recently. Poetl, Kemba, Heyward, Derozan, Noah. Amare Stoudemire and Igoudala if you’re going further back. Nowitzki, Marion and Mcgrady went #9 in back-to-back-to-back years which is wild. That has to be among the best 3 consecutive draft slots ever I’d have to think. Drummond even. But then Kevin Knox, DSJ, Kaminsky, Vonleh, some guy named Patrick O’Bryant.

I would guess Trey is around the median but maybe below the mean?

3 Likes

McGary’s a tough one. He showed some strong ability when he played. However, either his back, or his interest, didn’t match up.

Wagner’s probably even value for where he was picked. There were players who’ve turned out to be better who were taken after him, and players who have turned out worse who were taken before him. Right now, he seems to be a rotation piece, although barely.

I can’t defend DJ. He showed some flashes but hasn’t had any consistency. However, I did say “After pick 20.”

So, maybe “golden” wasn’t my best choice of words. Silver-ish? Bronze-bound?

Ah yes, the halcyon days of the Missouri Valley, when a true mid-major conference received three at-large bids, including a 13 seed for O’Bryant’s Bradley Braves. KenPom doesn’t have game logs for 2006 but IIRC, he was pretty dominant in wins over Kansas and vintage Pitt in advancing to the S16.

3 Likes

MVC used to be so baller. 6 Kenpom top 50 teams in 2006. 2 teams made the S16, one as a 7 seed and one as a 13.

3 Likes

MVC that year was as good as the PAC this year. Criminy!

1 Like

I’m convinced the Celtics drafted Patrick O’Bryant for the jersey sales.

6 Likes

The pistons are set up for years to come. Not sure why the Hornets didn’t take Duren themselves but who cares , Detroit had an A plus draft with Ivey and Duren.

That Cunningham , Ivey back court could end up being one of the best back courts in the nba for the next decade. Livers was a steal and is going to give them great tweener 3 and d minutes going forward.

I like bey a lot too. Duren and Stewart up front is tough too. Not gonna be many easy baskets or rebounds underneath. Stewart developing a 3 and face up game could make that combo work at the 5 with some double big minutes sprinkled in.

Duren was a steal at that pick imo.

The Blazers had some nice young guys too for down the road. They have def been stacking up on tweener forwards with big time athleticism.

Brown, Grant, Little. Johnson, simons, Walker. Then sharpe is a big time athlete at the 2.

Feels like the last few drafts were deep with intriguing upside well into the second round. Rockets- magic was fun too. All different style rebuilds too. Different values on certain attributes for sure. Banchero and Smith both ended up on the right teams when you consider who each roster had already. Great fits for both

1 Like

Quite possibly not that great a fit for Franz, unfortunately. Not convinced Banchero is the better playmaker.