2022 NBA Summer League Open Thread

Than whom? Smith?

1 Like

3 Likes

Banchero is a way better playmaker than Franz, what? The fit is perfect.

Itā€™s really early on but unless neither can guard 3ā€™s the kind of player youā€™d can imagine Franz and Banchero will become seem to fit together really nicely. Franz takes the tough wing assignments, makes plays on D in help, runs the floor, scores off the catch and off cuts. Banchero is the one getting him the ball off advantages he creates, helps on D when Franz has to stick somebody 1v1. If Banchero can create enough, you end up with a lot of options everywhere else on the floor too.

1 Like

I donā€™t agree at all. Franz is an established young up-and-comer in the NBA and Banchero hasnā€™t played a game and shies away from contact. Ideally Banchero can become a better fit as a small-ball 5 who nails 3s, rather than lowering Franzā€™s usage.

Franz had league median usage and assist rate among qualified players and below league average TS%. Hardly a bad performance at age 20 but nothing about that says ā€œah yeah, that guy is a future offensive engine on a good teamā€. His scout coming out of college was jack of all trades, plays well next to everybody. Banchero was ā€œplausible future offensive engine on a good teamā€ and was the number 1 overall pick. We donā€™t know nothing about Paolo and what we learned from Franzā€™s first season was ā€œah yeah he might hit to the high side on the kind of player he was projected to beā€.

2 Likes

Yea itā€™d be stunning if Paolo has lower usage than Franz this year.

The Magic also badly need a consolidation trade they have so many cooks in the kitchenā€¦ Cole, Suggs, Hampton, Fultz, Franz, Paolo, Isaac, Chuma, not to mention Terrence Ross. They go like 13 deep of guys who expect minutes and touches. I guess Houstan Iggy and Moe below could be happy as bench-warmers?

Cole Suggs Franz Paolo Wendell
Fultz Harris Chuma Isaac Bamba
RJ Ross Houstan Iggy Moe

1 Like

Well, the ceiling for Franz is offensive engine, and heā€™s looking most likely to hit ceiling or near it than floor. On a good team? I donā€™t know. Maybe on a good team heā€™s a secondary playmaker. Seems right to me. But overall Iā€™d still trust Franz to make the right read more than I would Banchero, who likes to pass instead of finish through contact. IMO his ceiling is offensive engine on a bad team.

I donā€™t see a few of those guys as anything more than place holders. I think their future is

Guards :

Suggs
Anthony
Hampton
Some franz sprinkled at the 2.

3/4

Isaac
Franz
Banchero
Houston
Chuma

Bigs

Carter / Banchero

A 9 man rotation basically where they go big occasionally at the 2 and small ball at the 5 with Banchero

1 Like

Bamba is out if there imo. I do think heā€™s a break out candidate on a different team.

I donā€™t think youā€™ll find many folks who agree with you about either Franzā€™s reasonable ceiling or Paoloā€™s.

1 Like

Well I think we all agree on Franzā€™s; heā€™s had the chance to play in the league for a year. And thisā€™ll be an easier discussion to have in a year. But Bancheroā€™s the kind of prospect where people are so excited about what he can do that they donā€™t think too much about what he canā€™t or wonā€™t do. No one will be all that surprised when heā€™s clearly the latest version of the offense-only big, an NBA stock character.

Thereā€™s nothing stock about Bancheros skillet and size combo.

2 Likes

Very tantalizing. Enough to make you want to forget why heā€™ll be that stock character.

2 Likes

I pour stock into my skillet when I make a reduction

4 Likes

You can put DJ Wilson in the group with Burke and Stauskas as well.17th pick overall still in the NBA and got signed today but 5 years in he hasnā€™t distinguished himself beyond an 11th or 12th man.

I will just say that I donā€™t see Paolo and Franz remotely in competition for role.

He was the 3 in roughly 75% of his minutes last year, and was almost never the primary ball handler. Paolo is pretty much a 4/small 5 and will have the ball in his hands.

3 Likes

Quick take on Caleb Houston: Heā€™s still terrible. He canā€™t do anything except shoot wide open threes after getting his feet set. As soon as his defender knows that heā€™s doomed.

Thanks for that. Very insightful!

10 Likes

Keegan with a steal and three to send it to OT. 6 points in five seconds for the Kings.

3 Likes