2022 NBA Draft Discussion

Oh since it’s never been said here, I need to say that I’m the best NBA 2k player on UMHoops

2 Likes

3 Likes

Right on the border as has been the word. Only 58 picks in draft this year right? Gotta think move up into 40s or 30s with good workouts will make for easier decision to go

Tells me they will both probably receive invites to the combine

9 Likes

Should be fringe-y. 60 combine spots and who knows how SV’s board tracks with NBA votes.

1 Like

Neither appears on the new Givony/Schmitz mock for DX.

2 Likes

Does anyone have the ability to pull the invite list from the past two years and compare it to who actually got drafted? That would definitely be something I’m looking at if I am in their situation. I would also look to see if anyone played their way from the GL invite into the actual draft or whether rumors of someone lighting it up at the NBA camp actually moved someone into the draft.

I think there are a fair number of players who opt out and international players may not attend either.

2 Likes

Here…

Long story short - looks like only 1/2 the kids at the NBA combine got drafted. Assume 0 from the G League. There were a number of kids that ended up returning too (Agbaji, Terrence Shannon, etc…)

Players not invited to the combine who were drafted last year:

Balsa Koprivica (G League)
Aaron Wiggins (G League)
Dalano Banton (G League)

So you can make it from the G League combine theoretically.

1 Like

If you are going through the list… How many guys at the combine last year went back to school?

I count 9 of 69, but admit to just not knowing who some of them are, so could be as high as 11

3 Likes

Abmas
Agbaji
The St. Johns Champagnie twin
Juzang
Mayer
Isaiah Mobley
Terrence Shannon

maybe make it 7

Also, IIRC, Wiggins and Banton were called up to the NBA main camp after good performances at the G League camp. And then Balsa was the second to last pick and partially only drafted because the Pistons already had 3 picks and just wanted someone they could send over seas (since Balsa is a Euro). So a call-up would be a big difference here.

1 Like

So it seems like…

• If you’re not invited to either camp, go back to school.
  • If you’re invited to the G-League, you have a really long shot at getting drafted and should probably go back to school.
  • If you’re invited to the NBA camp you have a decent shot and most of the guys (~85%) are probably going to stay in the draft because they at least think they have a shot.

So as soon as we learn what list our guys were on we’ll have a decent idea. If they both made the NBA list it feels less likely we’ll get one back even if their odds of getting drafted still remain 50/50.

3 Likes

We might be watching the G League camp and rooting against Houstan in the scrimmages.

4 Likes

A tradition unlike any other

7 Likes

I mean, I do think that there are some guys who get a 53rd pick and want for whatever reason to push that up vs stay in (Franz last year, if he had entered). And guys mocked at 75 who are just done (see Devante). So I think it isn’t quite that straightforward. But as a rule of thumb, and i would speculate especially for freshmen who saw themselves preseason as OAD, I suspect that’s pretty accurate.

Hyunjung Lee moves like he has cement in his Nikes. He’s an Estonian league Duncan Robinson.

The guys in the combine number inflated a little because between G League Ignite and Europeans you had close to 10 guys who weren’t sacrificing anything to stay in the draft.

2 Likes

I know this isn’t the update people care as much about but DeVante did not receive an initial invite to either combine (NBA or G League). Got a G League Elite Camp invite last year.

4 Likes