2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Livers has been significantly better defensively this year, IMO.

9 Likes

He had some great possessions last night on the perimeter

I see Livers as a 3-and-wonā€™t-get-killed-on-D player.

7 Likes

Yeah he did, I still think he would have gotten drafted though. Even without workouts for NBA teams, I have a hard time seeing 30 teams passing on a guy who was just the MVP (West Regionals) of a team that made it all the way, who is as athletically gifted as he is.

Funny though because I just finished listening to that podcast mentioned in your link. The way Duncan described Charles consoling guys like Poole after the National Championship Game just made me reminisce about how great of a leader he was for us. I also remember that he challenged the team to believe that they could make it all the way despite barely being in the rankings, and eventually spoke it into existence.

Thereā€™s also a snippet in the podcast where Duncan mentions Livers as talented but not knowing where to be on offense that year, and Titus and Tate just start laughing at how clueless and untalented they think Livers is and pressure Duncan to admit it as well since heā€™s not on the team anymore. Itā€™s great to see how far Livers has come, and even more satisfying that he converted the dagger and-1 against Titusā€™ former team a week ago.

1 Like

The scouting reports need to be updated. Livers defense has been significantly better this season and showed that he can guard quick footed players. Youā€™re basing it on last yearā€™s report. Thereā€™s a reason why Livers stock has been on the rise

3 Likes

I think thatā€™s it - ā€œ3 and Dā€ guys rarely REALLY excel at both (itā€™s why Danny Green has made $70 million in the last 6 years, heā€™s one of the few that does) but more a sliding scale between Duncan Robinson (elite three point shooting, can survive defensively) and, like, Torrey Craig (will lock you down, shoots ok enough that you canā€™t just completely ignore him).

Yeah, itā€™d be weird to me if Livers didnā€™t get drafted at this point. If youā€™re 6ā€™8", can shoot 40% from 3, and are an adequate defender then you have a NBA role. Last year I think he was probably borderline because he really did get roasted at times on D, and I think heā€™s taken a big step forward on that end, while also being one of the best shooters in the country. Heā€™s taking and making catch and shoot threes with zero space. Youā€™re telling me that no one will talk themselves into him being their ā€œupgraded Duncan Robinsonā€?

3 Likes

Improved defense, glimmers of adequate playmaking, and just being healthy for an entire season should really guarantee heā€™s drafted. Maye heā€™s just too old to work his way into the first round at this point, but we see overlooked/undervalued upperclassmen carve out solid roles on NBA teams all the time now pretty quickly (see Xavier Tillman and Peyton Pritchard just last year) and Livers is starting to look like that kind of guy.

2 Likes

Donā€™t wanna veer too far off topic but I would even say Danny Green doesnā€™t excel at the ā€œ3ā€ part of 3 and D, at least not recently. Agree with the general sentiment though - Livers doesnā€™t need to be great at defense to survive - being ā€œ3-and-wonā€™t-get-killed-on-Dā€ should be enough.

career 40% from 3, shooting 39% on 6 3PA per game this year. Iā€™d call that excelling.

5 Likes

Career wise yes, but not the timeline given above of the past 6 years though, especially with the way the NBA is trending. 5.9 attempts per game isnā€™t really high volume nor is 38.5% elite efficiency. And thatā€™s with teams helping fairly aggressively off of Green when defending the Sixers. I think thereā€™s about 50 guys in the right now shooting 40%+ on 5+ attempts and I would guess that some of them can play defense as well. I would even say Lonzo Ball would be a better example of a 3 and D player who excels at both: 40% on 8 attempts per game and really solid defense.

My point was to really emphasize that Green is still getting paid despite one part of ā€œ3 and Dā€ not really being top notch anymore, and so Livers will definitely be able to survive in the league if he can keep up his shot.

Anddd Lonzo is about to make $20 million dollars a year because of that (deserved or not) after only showing flashes of shot making. Guys like Danny Green are needed on all 30 NBA rosters.

Lonzo really worked on his shot. They were playing the Pistons a couple days ago and on one play I mistook him for JJ Redick (who had just subbed out.) Gone is that ugly slingshot delivery.

Lonzo is shooting 38% on high volume shot from 3 pt so heā€™s emerging as a legitimate shooter after remaking his shot mechanics. He wonā€™t ever live up to his draft status but heā€™ll be a valuable role player as a 3 and D guy

1 Like

yeah the weird think about Lonzo is that everyone was in love with his passing, etcā€¦and heā€™s really not a PG. Like, he can run on the break with it fine, but he canā€™t beat anyone off the dribble in order to get the offense moving.

It turns out that Lamelo is actually everything people thought Lonzo was.

1 Like

ā€œpoint guard in transition, spot-up wing in the half-courtā€ was how Zach Lowe described him in his article today

1 Like

Lol, I think I just regurgitated what I heard Zach say on his pod last week, so that makes sense.

It turns out I have few opinion that I donā€™t hear first from Lowe or Nate Duncan.

1 Like

I only skimmed this but for this upcoming draft only, NBA seniors have to opt in to the NBA Draft. I take this to mean if a player doesnā€™t explicitly say ā€œIā€™m leaving for the draftā€, they maintain their eligibility for the extra season all current seniors can have next year. So basically seniors for this year are now treated like all underclassmen where they have to declare for the draft, and probably going to end up following the same timelines and sets of rules with regards to agents.

This is going to make it slightly different to know which seniors are going to do what. Now instead of needing to hear a player say ā€œIā€™m coming backā€, the working assumption will be that theyā€™re coming back until we hear them say ā€œIā€™m declaringā€. Some seniors who have no chance at the draft may ignore this and go straight to Europe, transfer schools, or just choose to move on from basketball all together. But this is making me really giddy for the potential idea of Brad Davison having to declare for the NBA Draft.

Just did a deep dive on Lonzoā€™s shooting and I think I agree with youā€“as long as thatā€™s the expectation for Lonzo. Heā€™s a role player, 3 and D guy. Maybe best case third banana on a decent team.

I donā€™t think these numbers are completely up to date, but of his 221 3-point attempts this season, looks like about 71 percent are off the catch per Second Spectrum. Thatā€™s 31st among the 81 guards with at least 70 attempts on the year. That puts him in decent company among role playersā€“some plus shooters, some okay at best shootersā€“because heā€™s hitting both (catch and shoot and off the dribble threes) at an acceptable rate.

Itā€™s also a far cry from the more dynamic point guards in the league. But maybe nobody expects that from him at this point, and Iā€™m having an argument with a straw man (as subsequent comments show). Doing this also helped put into perspective how incredible guys like Steph, Lillard, Mitchell, etc. are, and my god is LaVine having a great season.

Table is for guards only, minimum 15 GP and 70 (C&S) attempts on the year (Top 10, surrounding Lonzo, and Bottom 8 for share of shots coming from C&S% are shown). Sorry if this is too big, I can pare it down if unacceptable Dylan.

PLAYER TEAM C&S 3PA C&S 3P% OTD 3PA OTD 3P% Share C&S (%) Share C&S (Rank)
Damian Lillard POR 71 47 250 35 22 1
Zach LaVine CHI 83 48 159 43 34 2
Jamal Murray DEN 80 40 121 40 40 3
Malcolm Brogdon IND 83 39 116 39 42 4
Mike Conley UTA 77 43 98 41 44 5
Stephen Curry GSW 165 42 210 41 44 5
Kyrie Irving BKN 73 38 84 39 46 7
Donovan Mitchell UTA 124 44 132 35 48 8
Victor Oladipo HOU 72 38 76 28 49 9
Bradley Beal WAS 100 40 100 27 50 10
Buddy Hield SAC 206 35 114 39 64 25
Wayne Ellington DET 90 40 49 41 65 26
JJ Redick NOP 87 39 44 30 66 27
Eric Gordon HOU 121 35 58 33 68 28
Donte DiVincenzo MIL 113 41 51 39 69 29
Kendrick Nunn MIA 93 40 41 32 69 30
Lonzo Ball NOP 156 41 65 37 71 31
Dillon Brooks MEM 106 34 43 30 71 32
Seth Curry PHI 79 52 32 34 71 33
Theo Maledon OKC 76 43 30 27 72 34
Malik Beasley MIN 205 42 74 41 73 35
Kevin Huerter ATL 133 39 48 35 73 36
Denzel Valentine CHI 93 37 33 33 74 37
Tim Hardaway Jr. DAL 174 41 59 36 75 38
Mychal Mulder GSW 74 41 7 57 91 74
Damion Lee GSW 110 40 10 30 92 75
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot BKN 126 38 11 27 92 76
Max Strus MIA 75 39 6 17 93 77
RJ Barrett NYK 101 33 7 29 94 78
Nicolas Batum LAC 126 46 7 14 95 79
Josh Hart NOP 125 36 4 25 97 80
Pat Connaughton MIL 98 41 3 0 97 81

if Jordan Nwora can be a solid 2nd round pick, so can Isaiah Livers. Similar size, but Livers with even better shooting and passing stats and probably similar as defenders.

1 Like