2020 Big Ten Tournament is canceled

The BTN studio show has no idea that the tournament is called off. Amazing.

5 Likes

How is playing in an empty gym with no fans more of a risk than doing anything else in public? I guess I don’t understand why canceling this tournament is necessary.

4 Likes

They do now.

I’m with you. This seems like an overreaction unless they have reason to know that a player or coach is infected. But what do I know?

2 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Exactly what I’d expect JB to say.

1 Like

Yeah, 100%. Me being at work right now is significantly more dangerous to society than holding a fan-less Big Ten Tournament.

1 Like

Playing without crowds was the right decision. I’m not sure about canceling it altogether. I assume the coaches and players don’t want the season to end like this. College athletes in the prime of life, are they at any greater risk from COVID-19 than they are from influenza? The data (age breakdown) would suggest not much, if any. As for the coaches, that’s a different story.

2 Likes

Right! I have plane tickets to Vegas for next Wednesday through Sunday. I’m still planning on going, I work in a busy ER I think I’ll take my chances on a empty plane compared to being close to sick patients for 12 hours a day!

If they’re cancelling cause they think they’ll stop the spread, that’s not the right reason. It comes down to if someone on a team ends up testing positive (which seems like the more likely outcome at this point) and the whole team has to self quarantine, then what? They forfeit and the other teams get to play? I don’t think they’ll make a decision until after selection but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Worst One Shining Moment ever.

2 Likes

I am irrationally mad that the Big East and ACC are still playing

If they wait until 5:59 on Selection Sunday to cancel the NCAA Tournament I will self-combust

6 Likes

I’d be very surprised if every conference does not follow suit very soon, if not already.

If I was in charge I would have banned Pikiell and Martelli due to age and played the game. Then later I would have banned Evan Boudreaux for the same reason.

23 Likes

They aren’t. They canceled as well.

The only religious holiday I celebrate, March Madness, is going to be ruined this year. It’s going to happen and I hate it.

9 Likes