2020 Big Ten Tournament is canceled

Yep, my favorite time of the year without a doubt, regardless of Michigan’s involvement. It sucks so much.

5 Likes

Everyone watch the first minutes of Creighton/St. John’s. The last basketball game of the season. They’ll probably cancel it at the under-12 timeout.

2 Likes

The Big Ten commissioner is a joke…he keeps saying he prayed on it and what is the right thing to do for the student athletes…well call me a hypocrite but you let two games go down last night with ppl in the stands, that doesn’t seem like doing the right thing…

This is all about mitigating the chances of lawsuits, they don’t for a second care about the student athletes. If they did they would have done what the Ivy League did and cancel it ahead of time proactively not reactively.

4 Likes

The incubation period for this is 14 days. Players could easily play now and infect others without knowing they were doing so - Rudy Gobert basically just did this. Basketball is a close-contact sport with people’s sweating bare skin coming in contact. Asking the players to just assume that every rotation player in the conference is healthy isn’t fair.

Thats why they cancelled the tournament.

3 Likes

Yeah listening to this guy does not inspire much confidence.

2 Likes

I think what happened last night with the NBA, knowing that a player may have unknowingly played 9 games while contagious, could very well have made people see this in a different light.

I’m sure the conference doesn’t want to get sued, but I’d remind you that asking the players to play for your personal enjoyment while have no reasonable expectation of their own personal safety isn’t particularly noble either.

2 Likes

This seems like too fast moving a situation to blame them for not canceling the games yesterday.

1 Like

If these college hoops honchos really cared about the student athletes, they’d never allow them to play. Viral infections are always a risk. Cancel NCAA basketball permanently, and prove they care about the physical and mental health of these young men.

1 Like

Come on, man. Can we acknowledge that this isn’t your garden variety viral infection and grant that it can’t be handled as such?

14 Likes

Like it or not, this was absolutely the right decision. I understand how frustrating it is that they waited so long and in my opinion that’s the only flaw with how they’ve handled it. This should have been done much earlier, but it needed to be done.

The incubation period for the virus is two weeks and people can be infecting others the entire time before they exhibit symptoms. In order to be sure everyone was safe they would have had to test every player in every conference tournament in the country. That would make a huge dent in the supply of tests that there currently are in the country and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I’m disappointed, but I understand. I’d be very surprised if the NCAA tournament goes on as scheduled at this point. Again something that’s disappointing but I really think we should pivot from being disappointed to realizing how important it is that these things are done.

7 Likes

It’s not really “fast-moving” as much as just people weren’t pay attention until yesterday.

The trajectory for this has been clear for weeks if not months.

2 Likes

True, but I think there has been (a somewhat natural - people try not to acknowledge unpleasant realities all the time - look at the response to global warming) an effort from government to individuals to mind-wipe themselves into thinking this wasn’t going to be a problem.

1 Like

I mean that’s just factually wrong. Incubation period actually occurs 2-9 days post exposure with a median of 5 days. Rudy Golbert was…according to his own players reckless in the locker room touching and interacting with other players including rubbing all of the microphones in a press conference so of course you can’t fix stupid from spreading.

We ask players to assume risk every time they take the floor for our personal enjoyment. Kevin Ware assumed risk for our enjoyment when he shattered his leg in the tournament. Livers multiple times this year assumed risk for our enjoyment…risk is inherently part of life. My issue is not with canceling the games my issue is with the timing and then hiding behind saying it’s what’s best for the student athletes when it has nothing to do with that otherwise our students would have never left Ann Arbor.

I don’t think Kevin Ware or Livers play basketball for our enjoyment.

10 Likes

Yes. I’ve already said as much. My point is that to the particular demographic of college athletes, this is really not more dangerous than influenza, and they’ve worked hard all season to reach these next few weeks.

I don’t expect this virus to be gone by the fall. I think it will become another seasonal strain of coronavirus. I wonder if next season will be cancelled as well.

Best wishes to you all. I hope you and your loved ones will remain safe. I really haven’t been doing enough reading lately, so I think I’ll do that during the time I otherwise would’ve spent watching basketball. Literary Madness doesn’t have the same ring to it, but it will have to suffice.

Some time in the past week or so we’ve gone from “wash your hands, cover your face when you cough/sneeze and stay home when you’re sick” to any public gathering the entire population is at risk so we must cancel.

If that is the case the entire country should be put on a two to three week quarantine. (Not trying to get into a debate on actual merits or federalism).

If universities are going to cancel classes and college sports are going to cancel events, they should be instituting (or at least strongly recommending) quarantining to their student body and athletes. To my knowledge, none have.

You’re not going to convince me that you’re more likely to catch COVID-19 in an empty arena vs. any other normal day-to-day activity.

2 Likes

So are Minnesota and Indiana co-B1G Tournament Champs?!?!

10 Likes

Yes everyone assumes risk everyday, fine. If you can’t acknowledge this is different than “I might get injured” I’m not sure what to tell you. Especially since getting sick with this won’t only effect the player, but everyone else in their life as well.

It’s the responsibility of anyone in power to minimize the opportunities for this to spread. Cancelling the games, however slightly, accomplishes that.

2 Likes

I agree on this. I understand cancelling it. But at the same time there are videos on twitter of students storming bars or starting riots to celebrate cancelled classes.

All of these basketball players are going to go about their normal lives. Going to the grocery store, restaurants, bars, etc. and it’s making me wonder if we’re actually preventing anything. If they’re infected and not showing symptoms, then they’re going to pass the virus around one way or another.

Maybe this is just a small step to trigger some bigger changes. Idk.

2 Likes

i guess my take on it is that if you don’t reasonable knowledge that a player is infected, then playing these games isn’t significantly more dangerous than anything you’re going to do in your daily life (unless we plan on really intensely quarantining and not interacting with people or going into public spaces). Like I’ve mentioned before, me being at a workplace of 10k people right now is significantly more dangerous to society than playing any of these tournaments would have been.

3 Likes