2020-21 Roster Speculation

Agree. I see Bajema as someone who can play the 3 in a smaller lineup, but whose game is best suited to be a 2.

2 Likes

How Bajema was explicitly recruited doesn’t really mean anything when the guy who recruited him in that way isn’t here. Any way you slice it Michigan is going to need a ton of new perimeter players on the 2020-21 roster.

1 Like

I think Cole is more a 3 than a 2, but if he reaches his potential he can be closer to a 2

Weird that Westwood’s LM approach hasn’t caught on----in 30 years.

Yeah I agree it’ll be tough, but I stand by 18.5 as a reasonable expectation. Oturu went from 11 to 20 with Coffey and Murphy leaving and Simpson, DeJulius and Teske might be similar. Also we might have Wagner and 4 decent 3pt shooters around him who can’t really create much in Brooks-Johns-Livers-Dickinson if Dickinson can be a 32-34% 3pt shooter, which seems plausible unless I’m wrong on that one? That’s a lot of spacing but little creation. Wagner’s efficiency might not be great at high usage, but we really might need it to sneak our offense into the top 30-40 and make the tournament.

While Beilein wanted him as a combo, he did have the option to back out when he left, so he is a Howard recruit. Presumably, Howard told him something that left him favorably disposed to stay in the class.

My point is just that positionally anything that was said during his recruitment doesn’t mean much. Whether he’s a two or three will largely come down to his defense I would say. Hard to imagine him checking twos right now but we just haven’t seen enough.

2 Likes

My thoughts on all the speculative depth charts getting posted here:

• For all the talk about guard depth issues, the front court is looking pretty thin. I think we should all emotionally prepare for a squad without Livers.
  • I don’t like any lineup with extended minutes for Wagner/Livers at the 2/3 vs. the 3/4. Livers is no good at the 3 if he’s matched with a better athlete. Franz should only be a break in case of emergency guard. Who else can play/guard the 3?
  • If Smith/Jackson/Bajema aren’t ready and Franz has to slide down, I sincerely hope Williams, Nunez, and Jace can platoon some net-neutral wing minutes.
  • Dickinson & Davis combining for 30+ minutes at the 5 is terrifying defensively. I hope Hunter proves to be a solid defender, but he’s so damned slow. I’d rather see a small ball lineup get 15+ minutes a game with Johns, Livers, Wagner, Williams rotating.
  • Really worried about 3pt shooting. Hopefully Cole gains another 20 pounds and saves our ass.
1 Like

Hey @umhoops, how was Jace defensively in the EYBL. I never really paid much focus to him defensively but just wondering because of what Charles mentioned above having potentially weak depth at the 3 spot.

I mean if Livers isn’t around we have no depth anywhere because we again will have 11 scholarship players with a freshman that can not be expected to do anything.

If Livers leaves we will be fighting on the bubble. If he comes back we are probably right side of the bubble but would need a big leap from Wagner to be a top fifteen team. The DDJ departure hurts because we know have little roster flexibility at guard.

If Livers returns I am not that worried about forward because I think Williams is good enough to play a few minutes and I expect Livers, Wagner, and even Johns to play a lot.

Bajema and/or Jackson being able to hold their own at guard for 12 mpg would be ideal

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m saying if he stays, the frontcourt will be in trouble relying on two freshmen and Davis to eat minutes and play defense.

1 Like

Speculating Wagner will be leading scorer with or without Livers on the team. 18ppg. 1st team B1G

1 Like

Backcourt is going to be a little bit better than most are giving it credit for I think. Is it ideal or a strength? No, but we have two seniors now with a lot of experience even if one is from a different system.

I think smith offensively is going to provide much more than most are giving credit for. His d is my worry. I don’t see why smith doesn’t average at least 8 and 5. Smith has a lot of moves that will translate imo versus quicker/bigger athletes and he can clearly shoot. He’s very quick with the ball.

Between him and brooks I’d bet on the over for 20 ppg combined.

I also think bajema and zeb can handle the 15-20 minutes between them that they might be asked to play. If livers comes back we could probably even steal minutes with franz at the two with livers or Johns sliding down.

1 Like

Fellas it’s Westhead.

3 Likes

And Westhead’s approach hasn’t done any better. :wink:

1 Like

I was at the game. Never been to a game similar. I was not confident going into the game, M struggled with Illinois State in their first game, but as always I thought Michigan could pull it out. Some point in the second half I came to the realization a comeback was not in order lol.

Was sitting next to a group of USC football players there to support their guy Bo Kimble. One of them asked me if Michigan was going to slow things down. I correctly asserted that I didn’t think M was going to slow the tempo.

1 Like
8 Likes

That presumes Michigan wouldn’t add any other scholarship players.

If Livers stays in the Draft, I think it is all but guaranteed that Coach Howard and Staff will add another scholarship player. And, across the county, there will be more transfers entering the portal later this summer.

1 Like

Lunardi has Michigan as a #6 for next year in his latest bracketology. Probably fair.

1 Like