2020-21 Roster Speculation

You’re entitled to your opinion, but this is just a bad take. We had no reason to think Wilson or Eli Brooks or a lot of other guys would suddenly become good players, but it happens. You also have to consider that until the Nebraska game, Castleton has basically been playing exclusively at the 4 since Livers went out. He is not even close to being a 4. Guys look bad when they play out of position.

7 Likes

I agree with Dylan’s take. However, given all the players coming to UM for next season, it would not surprise me if Colin chose to leave. If that is the case and UM still had an open scholarship, I would have no issue with Austin coming back next season.

However, given the choice, I would prefer Colin next year over Austin. His learining/improvement curve is on the rise while Austin’s is quite flat.

5 Likes

Ifffff we land JC I expect him to get significant playing time. I also expect Hunter and Zeb to get the same. I am hopeful on Todd but for some reason just have an odd feeling he may never end up coming to Michigan but hope I am wrong.

I see Williams and Howard as developing players that will take more time to see the floor.

1 Like

He’s had his moments. The Iowa State game this year and the Nebraska game last year were particularly encouraging. I’d add that Ibi Watson showed absolutely nothing and now has a 126 ORtg as the sixth man for a really good A10 team. These guys arent finished products.

3 Likes

Williams is college ready. Just don’t know if there will be a spot for him in the rotation right now. There are a lot of 4s on the team.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really use the term “near-lock” about anything roster related in college basketball.

3 Likes

While I agree that Castleton’s ceiling is higher, Davis has clearly improved this season. Has Castleton? I think you’re talking about a potential improvement curve, not the one we’re actually seeing.

1 Like

Virtually nothing in Brooks’ game says PG.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s entirely fair. If nothing in his game says PG, then nothing in anyone’s game on our team next year will say PG. He certainly wouldn’t be a PG that we’ve been used to for the last decade of MBB but could work depending on who he’s playing with.

3 Likes

What we are forced to do at the PG position next year doesn’t make Brooks a PG. He’s not. While I like Brooks more as an overall player, I reluctantly concede that DDJ has better PG instincts. Hopefully, one of the frosh will be able to take that role. In any event, the PG position will be much different than what we’ve witnessed the past few years. Walton’s freshman year would probably be the closest comparison.

1 Like

Ibi was solid in very limited minutes his 2nd year. It’s not like he stunk it up when he got out there.

can anyone confirm if bajema has any chance at a redshirt? i know he played against msu, but not sure if its a time of year + mins played thing or what trumps what.

thx in advance

No, he does not.

1 Like

More in his game says pg than anyone who will be here next year(returnees and current recruiting class). Maybe Jackson gets there as a frosh but I am doubtful about it.

2 Likes

I feel like Jackson has been practicing daily with the equivalent of a top 100 college team for awhile now. Am I wrong? His current team could beat half of D1 college teams. I see a long guard who can play point.

Anyway. I don’t know for sure. I just have high hopes for Zeb.

1 Like

I am hopeful he’ll eventually get there but theres a lot of scouts who feel in the short and long term Jackson is much more of scoring sg than a pg.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see. And I guess it is very reasonable to see Zeb as a question mark for a position that you never want as a question mark going into a season.

1 Like

Hyperbole alert! Ok, I’ll do you one better. Far more in his game says PG than DDJ.

1 Like

My problem with this is that he isn’t a good catch and shoot player. What is your ceiling as a “scoring SG” if you aren’t a good C&S player?

So what makes him a scoring SG and not a PG? That he doesn’t pass it that much? That’s he’s bigger?

I still think his best-case ceiling is as a big PG who can utilize his size.

4 Likes

Absolutely no hyperbole–possibly even under-statement. And please don’t confuse my post as an endorsement of DDJ. It’s not.