2019 - Wing - Franz Wagner (Commit)

1 Like

Could help the case for playing at Michigan for a couple of years.

Next year is primed to be a big year for Euros though. Deni Avdija and Theo Maledon both look like top five to ten picks.

Feel like the NBA is right to draft less of them. Teams overadjusted to a market ineffeciency to the point where it was overrated.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah that kid Doumbouya that the Pistons drafted had a similar profile to Franz (not in terms of playing style but experience) - a kid who had gotten 10+ minutes a game in a first division French club playing against grown men. Obviously draft position is based on the individual not the experience profile, but he fell substantially farther than where most experts had him mocked.

Then of course you have the Spurs snatching a European who nobody expected to see drafted like 3 picks later. :man_shrugging:

Obviously it’s tough to draw conclusions off one draft because talent varies, etc. We had three players taken directly from European clubs in the first round this year, and two of the first five in the second. Three got taken last year including the second pick in the draft. Two the year prior. It seems to be on the wane.

That said, the influx of European players hasn’t really stopped - guys like both Bogdanovic’s, Bjelica, Satoransky, and Kleber, off the top of my head, all came over in their mid 20’s. I’d chalk it up to the NBA’s age-ism against 22 year old draft picks combined with the fact it’s hard for a teenager to get minutes in top division European basketball.

:honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

So if franz comes to um, is he the favorite for b1g frosh of the year?

Nah. I’d say Carton then Jackson-Davis then Franz

Franz would have a great shot at it, but I think Carton is the hands down favorite due to talent and potential for impact as a freshman. He’s gonna have the ball in his hands a ton at OSU right off the bat

2 Likes

Carton is a good guess but he didn’t play high level aau ball or high school ball while franz has played against pros for the last year. The adjustment to college basketball for Wagner could be much easier.

2 Likes

I just don’t see a guy in Franz’s style of play winning B10 freshman of the year. Carton will get heavy heavy usage and be the star for that OSU team on likely average effeciency. Franz will probably score a highly effecient 11-12 points a game.

The heavy usage guy is much more likely to get rewarded.

Not really about Franz, but doesn’t Carton have to beat out CJ Walker? Or at least share the backcourt with him.

3 Likes

Carton has a lot more competition for minutes where he’s at than say Franz if he went to Michigan.

1 Like

Beat me to it Re: C.J. Walker. Carton may not even start from day one.

Nothing really new here, but I’ll post it anyway:

OSU has five guards for two spots, and all five guards are at least competent. It’ll be an interesting year, but I think Carton’s talented enough to get at least 20-25 minutes per game in that back court. Does 10-15 behind Walker at point and 5-10 at the two seem accurate?

Also, related, but OSU will be: Walker, Muhammad, Andre, Young, and Kaleb, with Gaffney, Carton, and Washington, PLUS Jallow, Ahrens, and Liddell all on the bench as well. They are absolutely stacked. They’re also gonna lose Andre but add Sueing next year. Aside from MSU, and excluding Michigan, I think they’ll nip Purdue out for the second key power in the Big Ten the next five years or so.

When Chris Holtmann tells you you’re gonna be Big Ten Freshman of the year and win the conference as a freshman, he really means it

13 Likes

Could be. But I would be surprised if the focus of the offense next year wasn’t Simpson-Teske ball screens. Whereas I think Carton could run the show at OSU. I wasn’t impressed with Walker at FSU, so I think he’ll beat him out early in the season.

The focus of Michigan’s offense this year was Simpson/Teske ball screens and Iggy was the Big Ten Frosh of the Year.

That being said, I think it might be putting too much on Franz to already pencil him in there.

7 Likes

Agree, and too much pressure on Wagner might be counterproductive. But. . . while we’ve been contemplating the possibility of his playing for M lo these last months he has become a more and more proven plus-player on almost every front. Looks like a much bigger get now from every angle than he did six months ago.