2019 Recruiting Notes

Actually he said that he got a lot out of coaching with Martin, and believe they are good friends

Sure, but there are a lot of other guys in that mix.

Beilein does seem to be cool with Boeheim, so I could certainly be wrong.

Pretty sure Beilein did not coach a U18 team. Only reason that coaches do it is for recruiting and recruiting only. Shaka Smart, Sean Miller, John Calipari, and now Bill Self.

Calipari got exposed last summer but got Emmanual Quickley out of it. Shaka Smart got James Banks (who just transferred) and Jarrett Allen, and Sean Miller got at least one guy that isn’t coming to me right now. It’s a huge joke, no way D1 coaches should get this opportunity.

1 Like

Right. It should either be specifically chosen high school coaches or maybe have some assistants from the NBA drop down.

A few targets invited to USA Basketball under 18 training camp

https://www.usab.com/mens/u18/roster.aspx

I think we will end up with 3 or 4 2019 guys. Matthew will leave and something else will give. I hope we end up with four spots to give out in 2019.Only having two would be a bummer with how many big time recruits/fits we are on right now.

I liked the idea of Reaves but only if we added carton and Wilson or some combo like that. This is probably for the better. Like people said if we added Reaves then were out on Girard and probably Watts, wouldn’t you all say? I think i’d rather have those two. Maybe not girard but def watts.

An ideal /realistic class to me would be like Wilson, Carton and Watts. I’d also like the idea of say weems a big time athlete instead of watts. Wilson and Carton are nice athletes but neither are elite. Both are very skilled, so maybe it would make sense two add those two and then an elite defender/athlete in the Mathews mold, to replace Mathews exiting… Weems fits that very well.

I’d also like to know what happened to the one kid. I can’t find his name anywhere anymore. He was mentioned on here and then on endless mortor’s as well. I really liked his game. He was very tall and long, great athlete, big time shot. 6-7 wing. Had great range. I want to see he was from Texas or somewhere down south. Sound familiar to anyone? He reminded me of a better version of Jamal Cain. Was ranked top hundred too. I haven’t heard anything about him since, but I really liked him. Can’t find him anywhere on Mattd’s site anymore. That site is kinda rough looking, and I don’t see where you can look back further on his old write ups or I’d just search for it…

Also I agree if Its Marquette, Baylor and us then I feel really good about our chances. I’d love for this kid to drop. Imagine the future with our 3/4 rotation as Livers, Ignas, Johns, and Wilson. Thats a pretty ridiculous group/combo of talent and athletes to work with. To be able to rotate them all in and out with each other would be awesome. So much potential.

Makes me pessimistic of chances with Reaves. Right up there with Maxey at this point.

Good get for Purdue if they can get him

I will be shocked if we don’t take 3 in 2019

Williamson?

No, I like him too. He was only mentioned once. I actually liked his game more than Wiliamson and almost as much as Wilson. Maybe more. He was a gunslinger from deep and really long and athletic.

I couldn’t find a separate thread here for JADEN MCDANIELS, which was reported by MattD to have Michigan interests. 6’9 wing (not sure how fake it is) from Seattle but plays like a 2G in the highlight videos. He is Juwan Howard’s cousin, and his brother named Jalen plays for SDST right now.

no it wasnt him either. its killing me. it was pretty old like three weeks ago maybe. i went through his rankings and none of the names caught my attention.

Keion Brooks?

I would be surprised if Beilein oversigned by 2 going into the season. If something happens to open up that third spot, it likely won’t happen until after the season and that might be too late to land one of our current high interest kids.

No, I know him. I did some digging. His name was Ja’ylen Withers. Loved his video. Haven’t heard about him since.

I had the same reaction, but it doesn’t fit perfectly to me…wouldn’t a guard and a wing be complementary in this class, rather than overlapping? I would think that Reaves vs. Carton vs. Girard would be a thing, but not Reaves vs. Wilson.

Haha gotta love ya, Sly. You’re the king of latching onto players that Michigan doesn’t have serious interest in.

3 Likes

That does seem pretty un-Beilein but I think he is adapting and is very aware of how likely attrition is. He’s pretty much sending at least one underclassman to the draft on a yearly basis. And like it or not transfers happen.

I see a roster next year with 2 very clear early entry NBA possibilities and a handful of others that would be less surprising than the DJ Wilson one year jump. It’s also a roster that is 3 deep at pretty much every position but shooting guard and it’s not too hard to envision someone wanting a change due to playing time.

Add all that to the fact that he has real actual momentum on the recruiting trail right now and I think it would be a big shame if this wasn’t a 3 man class.

A man can dream Adam, a man can dream. Seriously though, I just love recruiting news. The speculation and gossip can be as fun as the Games most the time. Hell in the nba the Offseason IS more interesting than the season which is as predictable as it gets. It’s sad because the nbas style of play and product really has improved and the talent level/ characters are as interesting as its been since the 80s but it’s just so damn predictable. Takes the fun out of it. That’s why college is still the superior game imo and what some perceive as a weakness ( less talent ) actually makes the game better. Teams can miss eight straight free throws to let a team back in a Game ect. An open 3 in the corner isn’t a gummies, ect, ect. Keeps things much more interesting even if it’s much more sloppy.

Plus the length of season is a joke in the nba. College every game matters. I’d actually prefer they play more like 40-50 reg season games but the nba is ridiculously long. They need to cut the season by 22 Games At least. 50-60 Ges would improve the nba product dramatically. 2 to 3 games a week max. Way less injuries, way more intensity, the product would be way better. Way less sitting of stars. Problem is the players would never take a pay cut. There are just way to many games where teams are on cruise control and not giving an effort. Best nba regular seasons I ever saw were both lockout years. Did but true.

Ps. I wish I had posted my original post I wrote. It was about ten long paragraphs and I somehow parlayed that initial post into an essay with topics ranged yet connected into each other on topics in my early life involving smoking too much weed, huge gambling loss tales , teddy valentine, Kelly pavlik, betting tips that work, betting on your team is a jinx, bodog, frozen accounts, Mohegan sun, paul Williams the boxer ( pre-paralysis), being hit on by a hooker after busting out playing Omaha hi lot for the first time ( on acid) and a Grateful Dead cover band.

Then I erased it because I realized all of you guys would think I’m crazier then you already do and Dylan might not appreciate anymore details then I already surmised above If this isn’t pg enough even Dylan I’ll erase even that. It was quite the rant though and I can’t stop laughing right now.

8 Likes