2018 - Transfer - Austin Reaves

I know what he could be here should be primarily based off what he’s shown in college(pretty much just a shooter) but I watched some high school film and he showed some really good off the bounce and passing ability. Certainly more ability in those areas than past shooter type recruits like vogrich, Douglass, Nunez, Robinson did. He’s also a much better athlete than I thought, he was dunking over guys.

1 Like

I would definitely be on board with adding Reaves (we need knock down shooters) if you told me we could still add two 2019 recruits in the fall. I was assuming we would sign 2 in the fall (over signing by 1 with the assumption Matthews is gone after next yr) and then see what happens in the spring with further attrition. But, wouldn’t it be surprising to add Reaves now and then two recruits in the fall thus going over by 2?

Listening to Sam Webb this morning on his radio show, he thinks along with his colleagues at Scout that Michigan leads for Wilson and Carton. He wasn’t saying they were locks or anything like that but it sounds like we’ve got a real shot to land both. I think that would be a perfect fall signing and I would hate to see us miss out on that. I know there are quite a few kids we all thought we were going land and it didn’t end up happening but hopefully this year it works out that they can land their top targets.

2 Likes

I wonder if this visit is a result of the coaching staff trying to push a commitment from Wilson or Carton.

3 Likes

Doubtful given the timing. Wilson will be on campus 1 day prior (I believe) but Carton won’t be until summer, and Carton is the more direct competition for the scholarship.

No. Though both are on the clock.

1 Like

Fwiw

He also posted on the purdue board that he is hearing it’s between ou and purdue and that the um visit may not happen

That answers the fit question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes me feel good about our chances with the 2019 guys :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me if Jalen Wilson indicated that he’s ready to commit and that’s what canceled the visit

That’s usually what this kind of stuff means.

3 Likes

That would be nice if we could land Wilson this weekend. Sam said on his recruiting roundup yesterday that Wilson’s top 3 were Michigan, Baylor and Marquette. I feel better about our chances going up against those schools than Kansas, North Carolina and the Kentucky’s of the world.

If we land Wilson this weekend, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Carton visit and drop sooner than later.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2019 Recruiting Notes

Looks like the visit is off which is fine with me. He would have fit on some teams in the past, but too many quality targets still on the board with little room at the Inn.

Correct, the move that UM made here is to focus on 2019 targets. I think that’s probably smart given the current roster construction. Will be interesting to see how this summer goes.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Good to see him go out of conference.

1 Like

Good luck to the young man. Glad to see he didn’t land at Indiana or Purdue.

3 Likes

I didn’t care if Reaves went to another BIG school. Not like Purdue missed out on Micheal Jordan, besides they might end up getting someone better with the scholarship. They are gonna get somebody after all. As long as M’s getting good players I’m not fretting about who other teams in the conference are getting.

1 Like

I can see why, with our scholarship crunch and 2019 recruiting looking promising, this didn’t happen, but when I went on Wichita boards when this seemed possible, I was surprised by how good they though he could be offensively. Wonder if we’ll look back on this as a slight missed opportunity. if one of Iggy or Poole goes pro along with Matthews next year, we’re a bit short on wings.

Might be getting a bit ahead of things there on Iggy/Poole. Maybe not, but sure seems like it :slight_smile:

1 Like