2019 - G - Nah'Shon Hyland (VCU Commit)

Is he a good shooter? Seems like the question here is how much of an impact can a 165lb kid with the nickname of “Bones” make on next year’s team? If it is not a lot, can you do more in 2020?

2 Likes

You basically said what I did but I didn’t see this reply lol

Hyland took a pair of officials earlier in his recruitment, to Temple and St. Joe’s. He plans to take one to VCU, and has heard from from Maryland, DePaul, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, TCU and Seton Hall. Another Big Ten school reached out to his coach over the weekend.

“Michigan. They said they have an open spot because their shooting guard is staying in the draft,” he said.

1 Like

Is he not a good shooter? article above indicates 41% from three

2 Likes

I dunno man. If a 50-75ish ranked player wants to come here, I’d nearly always say yes unless the fit is flat out bad.

I just don’t expect much next year. Ceiling is clearly limited. I realize others may disagree with that assessment, but to me the weaknesses of this years team are still gonna be there, except they’re going to be worse. I think we’ll make the tourney and maybe grab a game, two if we’re lucky, but not more than that.

I’d rather pull a high ceiling guy like Hyland and give him some time to lift and play on in practice with some of the other young guys we’ve got.

2 Likes

Over one weekend and how many attempts. Just hard to take much from that stat.

Answer: 11-of-27 over four games this weekend. Either way, a very small sample.

fair enough, seems like the 3-4 different highlights available show a good stroke, not sure if they from this weekend tho

this is how i feel, we are at best a sweet 16 team next year with remaining recruits, or so it seems

dylan would know better than me if our 2020 prospects are better than a top 75-100 kid in 2019 thats a bit more of a long term project. but feels like you dont just pass on kids like this unless you landing franz and pierce. certainly not sure an open scholly makes sense

Yeah, we just don’t have a huge sample because he didn’t play last summer on the circuit (obviously a crazy story and amazing that he’s okay).

Now we have a weekend tournament where he is a year older than everyone else he’s playing against.

The limited data makes it a tough eval but that creates opportunity too if you make the right read and project something.

1 Like

Link to this article?

1 Like

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I am legitimately shocked Jordan Poole would be 100% decided on staying in the draft at this point before seeing if he even receives a combine invite, or getting feedback from NBA teams. Projections are all over the place and it’s not entirely certain he will actually get drafted at all.

I get that he wants out for a variety of reasons, and I respect that. But a traditional transfer would make more sense to me than declaring for the draft with such a large uncertainty of being selected. At this point I really hope it works out for him, because I firmly believe that he should be a mid-first round talent, it just hadn’t materialized yet based on his sophomore season.

Of note on Hyland, the last weekend of April is a live eval weekend on the circuit. Hyland playing on the UAA circuit is a bit rare for a graduating senior (but makes sense given his situation). I’d expect he’d draw a pretty big crowd including Michigan at that point.

Some footage from this HS season:

Skinny but very skilled, looks like an average athlete though

We will find out if Poole is 100% gone if Michigan offers Quinones, Hyland or another SG before Poole and Iggy make it officially official.

2 Likes

FWIW I wouldn’t be surprised if his listed 6’3" height is outdated. Watching some game footage from December and a newer video from Endless Motor and he looks extremely tall for a guard.

1 Like

sounds like there will be a workout monday with JB and yak in delaware, then watch him at AAU ball. No official setup yet

1 Like

Not even going to link that board?

Not seeing enough to take him at this point but a worthy follow

Ok so let’s say Hyland is indeed going to be a real target going forward.

Would you guys rather go for him, or go for a grad transfer for this year and then go hard for one of these 2020 guards Michigan has been known to be pursuing:

Cade Cunningham
Nimari Burnett
Jayden Stone
Ethan Morton
Cam’Ron Fletcher
Caleb Love

I’d tend to prefer the latter option personally. Not saying odds are great for these guys but chances of landing them go up if Michigan knows they are saving an additional guard spot besides Jackson if Michigan add a grad transfer for this year. That simple fact of knowing that spot will Forsure be open next year would allow the staff to really hone in on one or two of these guys and it ups the odds of landing them.