2019 - G - Harlond Beverly (Miami Commit)

Just a heads up for anyone who can watch…Cade Cunningham and Harlond Beverly and Montverde take on IMG Academy at 3pm et today in the GEICO national semis. Huge game. IMG and Montverde are probably the two most loaded teams in the country. IMG has Josh Green (former Michigan Target), Jaden Springer, Jeremiah Robinson Earl, Armando Bacot and several other 4/5 stars. Montverde themselves have 10 4/5 stars as well. Should be one of the highest level high school games seen in recent years. La Lumiere plays Oak Hill right after as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! That will certainly be worth watching! Did you say ESPN2, ESPNU?

It’s ESPN2 today. I think just yesterday’s games were on ESPNU and today and tomorrow games are ESPN2.

1 Like

I might just go to the gym and watch it! They have ESPN2 on the TV’s there, and I can’t think of anything too much better than to spend an hour and a half on the treadmill or the arc watching a GREAT HS basketball game! :wink:

1 Like

@umhoops @BP3 have only watched that short highlight video above. What’s his game like? My 2 second takeaway would be someone akin to Manny Harris.

Beverly? Good frame, good athlete. Slashing off guard who is at his best getting to the rim. Makes a decent percentage of his threes but doesn’t take a lot. Sort of a jack of all trades combo guard with a smooth quality to his game.

2 Likes

This pretty much sums him up. I’d add he’s shown he’s one of the premier on ball defenders in the country now too. He never really locked down on defense until this year because as the de facto best player in high school he would stay on the floor no matter if he was fully engaged there or not. Virginia watched him one time at the start of the year and offered right after the game after he had like 4 steals on ball and locked up whatever team it was. I watched that game. Extremely high character kid who’s had family that went to U of M. Gym rat. Low maintenance and good student.

1 Like

Beverly just threw this down on ESPN2

Beverly and Cunningham both had very good games through halftime. I had to leave at half so not sure how the game is going now.

Well, hopefully they explained and he understood that they didn’t have roster spots, and now they might.

To be honest, other than Kansas, wouldn’t we be his best offer? If true, who cares if Baylor (for example) offered a long time ago? They’re Baylor.

2 Likes

He’s got way more colleges on him than the public knows. A few of them were pretty successful this year. Georgia is my current bet on where he lands but his in club leader has changed several times so nothing is set in stone. Tom Crean has produced a few good guards in the past (Oladipo, Ferrell, D-Wade) and is a fellow Michigander (from Mount Pleasant). They also are recruiting his roommate Precious Achiuwa and have Anthony Edwards and Christian Brown committed. Playing time is there alongside Edwards. Miami has a solid shot because they need someone to come in right away and give them scoring. Baylor has been around forever. He really loved his Indiana unofficial visit. He was at the game when they beat MSU. And Alabama is a legit sleeper. Nate Oats recruited Beverly when he was a sophomore and Oats was at Buffalo. His family and old high school coach in Michigan were friends with Oats when he coached at Romulus. There are a lot of options for him. Until he locks in more officials it’s hard to know where he will go. I will say this: Michigan State as of now is absolutely not a contender for him and haven’t been really ever. If you’ve seen people saying MSU is a legit contender for him or they are the favorite then they don’t have very good sources close to Beverly and his family and are just guessing. May want to talk to other people about him if the current ones say MSU is the leader or a major contender.

2 Likes

Saw him a lot in high school. High flyer so gets the attention of fans. Thought his ball defense was really good for players his grade.

Saw limitations in the half court game. Not a lot a wiggle with his handles or a willingness to spot the open guy. Showed some pull-up capability but mostly a straight line guy. Point being, I understood why UM didn’t view him as a guy it would court heavily at first, especially if they had limited spots.

Hadn’t seen him since he left Michigan until today. He’s physically more mature as his game. Still don’t see much half court game beyond the straight line head down stuff. Beilein though should be able to help with that.

Guy from the b-ball office called during the game asking if I was watching and how did he compared to MAAR.

I said similar size; Beverly more pop, MAAR more game.

2 Likes

If they do a highlight video of Beverly through three quarters it would be one of the best highlight videos of the year…against an exceptional IMG team. The kid can REALLY play.

The dunk gobluemd16 posted above was serious! Do the kids still say dope, 'cause it was! Wow! Some really nice assists, too

Cunningham is so good and so smooth. He can distribute, he can take it to the hole and he can shoot the three. Great body. The announcer said he can play the 1-3, which he CAN, and even some four with that body.

Fun game to watch. Horrible fourth quarter, though, and a tough ending for Montverde.

1 Like

Beverly issue is he always looks like he’s not fully engaged. Has tons of ability, but seems to lack consistent aggression and assertiveness.

Always seems like there’s more there to give.

Cunningham is special.

2 Likes

That feels like the Cal squad Cuonzo Martin had at Cal a few years ago that got bounced in the first round of the tourney.

It’s funny because his defense was by far his best thing this year and I heard it wasn’t there at all in the 4th quarter of this game. Total meltdown by Montverde. Up 16 to start the 4th and lose it.

Montverde had no clue how to break even token pressure when stressed. Really futile effort to advance ball successfully, let alone attack the back end.

That’s what it sounded like. To be fair I don’t think Montverde played a game since early February up until yesterday’s game and they had like 20ish turnovers yesterday too. And these games are against the best teams nationally. I don’t think they had a good feel or flow at all. Yesterday’s game was pretty ugly to watch. Tons of turnovers and bad decisions. When I watched them during the season games weren’t this sloppy.

Montverde played extremely well for most of the first half, though IMG cut it to eight at half. They played well again in the third. Fourth quarter was a disaster, I’m guessing.

I left my gym at the end of three and when I got home it was a two point Montverde lead. Sounds like a meltdown by Montverde. Then Cade took over until…a run out dunk by IMG after a miss when Montverde had the ball up one with a six second shot clock differential. Sad ending for Montverde.