2018 - Transfer - Austin Reaves

I don’t want him. Ideally lets swing for the fences in 19 and 20 and go for the guys Michigan has been listed showing interest in.

1 Like

Hard pass.

1 Like

Agreed. If Michigan wants to take a flyer on a grad transfer, that’s fine. But I am largely in the group of seeing what 19 and 20 bring us unless another Charles Matthews wants to transfer

2 Likes

I’m not against transfers. Beilein has had a lot of success with transfers including D’or Fischer, Mike Gansey, and now Charles Matthews. If he fits and can play, I’d say take him. I understand wanting to get HS recruits and there seems to be some good ones out there but you get what you can get when it’s available.

He’s established himself as a solid contributor in a good program. Only true concern I have is his shoulder. He’s wears a brace on it. Just not something that you want to deal with consistently.

1 Like

When has Beilein ever had this much momentum in recruiting? Between the 2018 class coming in, the championship run and the FBI investigation, we should be in great shape. That’s seemingly reflected by the interest shown by some of our top targets. At this point, I’d rather take my chances with them.

One issue is that taking one recruit often helps attract another. A lot of the players know one another and want to be part of a strong class. Taking a transfer like Reaves doesn’t take advantage of that. This feels like a time where we should be aiming higher.

2 Likes

Visiting next week.

Visiting next week.

Ehhhh… I mean, do they still have room for both Carton and Wilson if they take him? Because that’s the only scenario where I’d be okay with this

If he’s really 6’5", I’d say we should take him. A rather proven commodity and we get two years of eligibility.

The only thing is that he seems to be a wanderer. Will he split after his junior year if he doesn’t get a lot of PT? That would be my concern.

Reaves seems very similar to Nunez imo. I’m not crazy about adding him to the roster. Like others, I would prefer a couple of the 19’s we are in on. Specifically Carton and Wilson.

If Maxey commits today…probably have to pass on Reaves.

taking Reaves means no Carton.

He will commit today. It just won’t be to Michigan :slight_smile:

Disagree, I think um would still take carton and Wilson. I do think it would be the end of the joe Girard recruitment.

no room at this time, and I don’t think we have room for both Carton and Girard.

Very interesting situation for Coach B.

I think his decision here will give us some insight on where we stand with some 2019’s as well as where he believes some players on the roster stand.

No doubt he coaches have enough film on Austin against D1 competition to make the right decision.

1 Like

As good as some of the 19 guys look, JB will always have a soft spot for a proven shooter with solid skills.

It is funny, it almost seems like he was Wichita State’s Jordan Poole last year. Made a lot of plays, but also clear his best basketball was ahead of him.

I played against his brother in college, he was amazing and should have gotten a chance at the D1 level. Glad his brother got a chance.

1 Like

I know what he could be here should be primarily based off what he’s shown in college(pretty much just a shooter) but I watched some high school film and he showed some really good off the bounce and passing ability. Certainly more ability in those areas than past shooter type recruits like vogrich, Douglass, Nunez, Robinson did. He’s also a much better athlete than I thought, he was dunking over guys.

1 Like