2018 Recruiting Notes

Beilein is more cautious than some other coaches but I don’t think it’s accurate to say he “loathes over-signing.” Despite the Langford/Battle situation, with the '16 class he took Davis without a clear spot and offered Coffey in the Fall, again with no open spot.
Beilein has adjusted multiple times in his career to the trends of basketball and after the early departures and injuries, we have seen him make every attempt to fill all his scholarships for both '16 and '17.
I’m not sure how this will play out but I won’t be surprised either way. Iggy, Hunter, or Locke might simply be too good to pass on in hopes of getting a similar player in '19.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to see Johns at 44 after repeatedly hearing he is a “60-80 type player” over and over. I trust their evals more than most rankings sites however so thats good he has shot up their list a little bit

To be fair, Johns had a very good spring.

1 Like

Johns will surprise some folks in college. He is really moving forward in his natural development.

1 Like

Dejulius 89.
Tyson 137

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2018 - PG - David DeJulius (Commit)

Johns, Hunter, Nance and Locke anyone?

1 Like

No one would turn that down.

1 Like

It is interesting what to do with the additional spots… Johns and Nance are priorities and presumably announcing decisions soon.

Do you take another shorter shooter (Locke) in the class? I guess it depends how you feel about Brooks/Poole as shooters going forward. Hunter is another combo forward and that’s the biggest hole on the roster… Then there’s a guy like Iggy who is more of a scorer or Tyson who kind of does a bit of everything and can probably play a couple different positions. Or try to prioritize a more athletic two guard like Torrence Watson?

Just lots of different things to think about with some of those spots if Michigan can create a bit of positive momentum here heading into July.

For me… I don’t care if everyone is a ‘combo forward’…(You could probably use that label for Iggy, Hunter, Nance, Johns, Tyson, etc.) I just keep taking them all and figure the rest out later. The concern… those guys start seeing a lot of other guys who might play the same position. Have to convince some they are guards :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good synopsis Dylan. Gonna be fun watching it play out.

Beilein will only take 4 this fall without knowing what the roster looks like in the spring. They could in theory be done by the weekend if they like Tyson/Nance enough to take. They seemingly are willing to take Nance. Sounds like they need to know the plan of action pretty quick. Hunter Tyson seems have a take it on the spot potential.

1 Like

I don’t know that that is definite. They’ve over recruited in the past (for example when the 2016 class was signed, Michigan had players signed to 14 scholarships) and the Big Ten allows you to oversign by 1.

You have a rising on the roster who basically hasn’t played, a big man who tested the waters this year, a player in Charles Matthews who has next lever aspirations. There are a number attrition possibiltiies.

4 Likes

Yep. Gotta imagine that at least one of those 2014 class transfers was “processed”. What makes the most sense is that we take 5 recruits, and if neither Mo/Charles are good enough to go early, then Ibi moves on.

1 Like

I really like Hunter Tyson, particularly since he could hypothetically play the 2 with improved foot speed. His ball skills are there. I know some are up in the air on him–but I’d be willing to settle in with a four man class of Tyson, DeJulius, Johns, and Nance by the end of the summer. Perhaps leave doors open for a late 5th commit come Spring based on attrition. I’m knocking on wood over here, but this could be a very good class.

I’ve concluded we need about 8 open scholarships to fit all the guys I want.
I can’t handle this. I miss the days when JB only had 1 to 1.5 targets that he kept tabs on occasionally.

2 Likes

Has everyone written off Ibi as an option at the 2? I feel like between him and Poole there are guys that can fill that role and we can wait to take a player in 19 if there seems to be better options in that class. FWIW I like Locke but would pass Tyson

2 Likes

To be completely honest, I sorta think so. He can definitely make a Beilein jump, but his first year was just so meh.

2 Likes

I am going to be pretty sour if we shut down a recruitment of either Iggy or J Hunter if we panick and take a reach for a 2 guard. I guess I am speaking mostly towards Tyson at this point. We brought in a #2 the past two classes in addition to having other possible viable options to take a reach and offer right now. Maybe I am just being too hard in Tyson…

1 Like

I would be pretty shocked if that happened. JB has said he’ll over recruit if he has to now after the Langford/Battle debacle. More likely we take Nance and Tyson to cover our bases and then have one spot for Iggy or Hunter. Those guys can play the 3 and we can use another wing since there are two spots.

Where did beilein say he would over-recruit?

1 Like