2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

@umhoops I get the questions as a scorer, but thoughts on Greg as a passer? I think thats the difference between he and CM.

1 Like

Iā€™ll add this, its not like he was playing bums either. DEPSA has a front line of 6ā€™9 Deante Johnson (offers from Oakland, Toledo, among others), 6ā€™6 Dreyon Oā€™neal (sophomore with D1 interest), along with PJ Mitchell (CMU commit), Gary Solomon (2018 kid who had some prelim interest from UM and should be getting D1 offers soonā€¦that kid can play) and Jamal Keese (2017 D2 type)

Yeah, Iā€™ve watched Charles twice in scrimmage settings this year as a playmaker out of PnRā€¦I think there are going to be some disappointed folks next year if they think Matthews is going to be a great creator for others.

1 Like

Regarding weight training, I donā€™t think thereā€™s any doubt theyā€™re getting bigger stronger and more explosive is going to help Watson.

I also donā€™t want to put Watson in the box of being only a catch and shoot player, I think he is capable of much more

Iā€™ll say this in responseā€¦Duncan Robinson has certainly gained muscle mass and explosion, but heā€™s still a catch and shoot guy that has made little, if any improvement, being aggressive and using that improved explosion to his benefit. Bottom line is that a catch and shoot guy is just that, no matter how much muscle you put on him. Has to be a mindset change or being a workout warrior is moot.

I feel are getting into the area where you want to win the conversation so I will keep this short and sweet
You stating Watson is a catch and shoot guy only does not make it true, and we have 3+ years to watch it unfold

IMO Ibi is Dawkins with the ability to attack the rim in a straight line. More than likely not a ball handler, plus passer or above average defender.

1 Like

Hard to say re: passing again because style of play is a bit different. His assist numbers go up and down but hard to really judge off of that. He gets a lot of transition assists, but had 3-4 great passes in the Pershing game playing out of the PNR that were impressive.

RE: Duncanā€¦ Heā€™s 6-of-10 on off the dribble twos this year. That wasnā€™t a shot he had last year so heā€™s certainly added it.

2 Likes

Got you. Well, Iā€™ll offer this piece of evidence and you take it FWIW. Ibi Watson shot 168 total attempts in EYBL last year, 102 were from distance. 61% of his shots were from 3. That screams catch and shoot guy. Do agree that he could become more than that. But based on everything weā€™ve seen over the years, especially at Michigan, does that seem realistic? As you say, weā€™ll watch it unfold.

Dylan no offense, but are seriously citing 10 total shots this year off the dribble. Cā€™mon man, thatā€™s laughable lol. The fact that is considered improvement is revealing

Good point on Robinson. With his length, he certainly capable of getting his shot off when needed. The only reason we donā€™t see more of it is because itā€™s not his role in this offense.

Also, I think youā€™re really selling Greg short on his vision/passing. Hereā€™s film I put together in EYBL which definitely shows nice vision in half court/PnR settings. And this is against elite comp obviously

Heā€™s only taken 130ish shots this year. For comparison, Zak has taken just over 100 shots off the bounce this year and leads the Big Ten in off the dribble shot attempts. How many do you expect for a shooter off the bench to take?

1 Like

You made my point for meā€¦heā€™s a shooter off the bench. Much like Watson. No matter how much muscle mass either add, that is what they are.

Thatā€™s his role on the roster, a role that he can perform better with the ability to take a few dribbles and hit mid-range jumpers this year. Not sure why we are arguing about Robinson in this thread, or Watson for that matter.

1 Like

One thing that bothers me is this idea about ā€œfitā€ with ā€œnon-shootersā€

Wouldnā€™t having all the shooting on this roster allow non-shooter/slasher types more than typical space to play their game? Especially if you have a willing passer like Greg who isnā€™t prone to tunnel vision like MAAR. I think the team can use 2 or 3 spots out of 13 on these types and not have system problems.

1 Like

All of this.

Yes ā€“ the idea is to surround a slasher with shooters to create space. A slasher that can shoot is the best fit for that role (i.e. Caris, Nik, etc.) because it becomes even more difficult to guard.

On next yearā€™s roster thereā€™s MAAR, Matthews and Simpson potentially as non-shooters and you bring in 3 guys who should be shooters.

Letā€™s stop beating around the bush here and call a spade a spade please. ā€˜Fitā€™ in the context of Michigan basketball under John Beilien is nothing more than code word for shooter and we all know it. Can we please stop using that damn word. I could give two f*&ks less about fit. I care about need, needs that will improve the team to the extent that weā€™re no longer a perpetual bubble team.

Those needs go like this:

Ballhandling creators
Athletic Guys with Motor
Rim Protectors

Ideally you want a guy that is both a ballhandling creator with athleticism.

For me Greg Elliott checks two of those boxes irrelevant of ā€˜fitā€™, so sign him up already.

2 Likes

Ok, gotcha. I donā€™t think Elliott is in the rotation next year (if he were to come) and Iā€™m one of the few who believe X will shoot a respectable percentage from 3. That said, I donā€™t see any players on the roster, committed, or with offers who are locks to be ā€œslashers who can shootā€ because they either need to improve the 3 (CM), handle (Carmody, Ibi), vision (CM, Ibi), or slow feet (Poole, Ryan) so why not add another to the mix to increase the odds someone makes that breakthrough?