2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

Regarding Elliot, he just looks so slender, that I wonder about him being able to contribute a great deal as a freshman. A year of proper nutrition and weight training might do wonders for this young man.

Now wait a minute, he was not 3/8 from distance. I literally have every shot on film, and he finished with 42 points, 10 rebounds and 2/8 from three. He threw up 3 desperation threes in the last few minutes as EEVP was down double digits.

When Greg is taking quality shots from distance, like he would presumably do at Michigan, heā€™s an above average shooter. Definitely a good midrange shooter off the dribble.

Bowen perceives himself as a sure fire one and done. He is in for a shot of reality in college.

Exactly. Heā€™s a very good prospect, but not a great one. I think heā€™s overrated as a top 15-20 type. Iā€™d have Bowen at 35-40.

Well that is the argument for bringing him and letting him develop his body just like J Poole. The same need for physical development would be true for Ryan in 2018 so at least Greg Elliott could get a year in that Ryan could not to add the mass.

1 Like

Donā€™t think heā€™d be an instant impact type considering Michiganā€™s slow pace. If we were more of an uptempo team, he certainly could, but just too light in the behind to play B10 basketball in a half court game in my opinion. Once he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle mass, heā€™s going to be a problem.

When watching Greg on film, what stands out is how easily he slashes to the rim, especially in unsettled situations. Great feel around the rim and can finish around or over people.

1 Like

Exactly, Ryanā€™s not going to be instant impact at all in my view. Needs more physical development than Greg, AND heā€™s not comfortable playing the game at a fast pace where speed and physicality are involved. Greg just needs muscle mass, he can play the game fast and physical with no problem at all. In fact, he excels doing that.

1 Like

Heā€™s going to be very disappointed at not being option number 1 on every possession in D1.

You seem to be warming upā€¦I take it you know the same thing that I know. Renewed interest is likely coming assuming MSU doesnā€™t offer soon along with Texas.

Someone said he is Manny-like and Iā€™m starting to agree that its the comp in the closest proximity.

Bowen reminds me of Terran Petteway.

Excellent comparison, IMO.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on that. Play him spot minutes ala LeVert, and get him in the weight room. Coach Beilein professes this attitude with many players. Teske and Watson are in this role currently.

Despite popular opinion, Bowen isnā€™t a very good shooter from distance at all. He is a very good shooter off the dribble from midrange though. Good rebounder, doesnā€™t move well laterally and isnā€™t very explosive.

@MattD Who in your opinion would possibly have a greater impact on the future of M basketball going forward. Greg or Dave?

Greg is much better than Watson at the same age. Weight room doesnā€™t really translate to the court unless said player has a change in mentality as well. Have to be willing to use the strength in an aggressive manner in order for it to be useful. Gaining 20lbs of muscle isnā€™t going to be reflected if said player is a catch and shoot typeā€¦which Watson is.

Liked the way you framed that lol.

Based on current roster construction, Iā€™d say Greg because he provides an element on both ends of the court that we simply do not have. In other words what he potentially brings is not replaceable by anyone else on the roster.

The best analogy I can think of is Jordan Morgan. Certainly wasnā€™t the most talented, but he was the most irreplaceable

1 Like

Nah, just watched his film from the DEPSA game and am mostly repeating the same thing I said a long time ago in this thread. Not warming up or cooling down because it doesnā€™t really matter what I think. And my bad, he was 3-of-7 from three just watched the video. He doesnā€™t shoot a lot of threes, but he shoots a lot of deep threes like this:

http://streamable.com/jkfgh

As Iā€™ve said about the 3PT numbers that everyone is hung up onā€¦ the difference between 28% and 36% when you have 50-60 attempts is microscopic. The stat that makes more sense for understanding a kid is how many threes, how many twos, how many free throws they shoot. 75% of Gregā€™s FGA this year are inside the arc and about 50% are within 5 feet. Thatā€™s the type of player he is.

His FTA/FGA, 2-point numbers around the rim are great, but heā€™s best in transition (although part of that is just the style of play in most of East Englishā€™s games). Where does he fit in the U-M offense? Really I have a lot of the same questions with how Charles Matthews fits and how they both fit together.

Maybe you say Greg is just the eventual replacement for CMā€™s role if you say that Greg needs some time and Matthews only has 3 yrs.

No Iā€™m saying he was 2/8 from threeā€¦in other words worse than what you say. Iā€™ll call it how it is, good, bad or ugly. And yes, for EEVP he does shoot shots from 28 feet. That is exactly why I say heā€™s an above average shooter, he will take quality looks at Michigan and be a 34-36% shooter early on in my view.