Kam Chatman to UDM to play for Bacari Alexander

High post/elbow area. Decent midrange shot, along with passing ability and size could’ve definitely made him more effective then JB used without doubt IMO.

Also, I never said Kam struggled because of system, I just said he wasn’t happy with his role/utilization…which is fairly obvious.

Michigan wasn’t a good fit for Kam because Kam is probably not a high major talent. I was very excited when he committed and held out hope that the light would eventually come on. Unfortunately, this was just a recruiting miss.

Sly, it’s time for you to drop Kostas. Besides that one random report a couple months ago there has been no connections.

Most probably thought the same about Udoh. It remains to be seen about Kam, although I’m inclined to agree that he was vastly overrated. If he succeeds at UD in a new role, that will be telling.

I totally agree with you on Udoh, but Kam is a totally different case. Udoh was a misfit, and Kam is exactly JB’s type, except that he never developed as a cutter and finisher, and never found his shooting groove, the game winner shot against Indiana aside.

1 Like

I don’t disagree that that is where Kam would be most effective. But would he be effective enough to do that within the offense while not affecting spacing for Duncan/Irvin or driving lanes for Walton/MAAR? It would be one thing if he was elite in certain areas that we could adjust the offense to suit him (like how we adjusted offense to accommodate Morris in the PnR). But he never showed enough to do that.

He played hard when he was on the court and he’s a good kid from what I know. Best of luck to him at UDM. I root for all the instate schools to do well (except MSU).

It is fair to say that Kam would’ve be more effective having ball in his hand, but him not playing the roll as he wanted had little to do with JB’s offensive style but was all about it other players being more effective in that role.

Without knowing any particular details, you probably would think that a player who follows an assistant coach from the B1G to the Horizon is trying to maintain much of the style/culture while getting more playing time. Of course, every situation is different.

I agree with MattD that Kam would be most effective at the elbow with the ball in his hand - a multi-option threat from there. I hope he thrives at UDM, but even if he does, it won’t necessarily mean that JB should’ve played him more these past couple years – although I would’ve liked to see Kam get a little more chance/leeway in that role, especially because I thought he would help the D out.

I totally agree. Kam didn’t deserve the minutes regardless of the system. Its not just that he can’t shoot, but he had below average strength and athleticism too. About all he did decently was distribute the ball from time to time, but then he also would have a number of bad turnovers. Oh and he couldnt play defense at this level either. So, I don’t see the system made much of a difference.

Come on, Matt. When Udoh left, he was pursued by high majors and went to Baylor. Kam’s going to UDM, 2000 miles from home. I was a huge Kam supporter, and hope he plays great at UDM, but this wasn’t about his being a potentially great high major player who was just miscast in a system–if that was the case, high majors would have seen that and been all over him. I agree that if he succeeds at UDM, it will be telling, but the telling will be that he’s playing regularly against Loyola and UW Green Bay instead of BT competition.

2 Likes

Heel I meant in general. I figured it was never much of a chance when I heard nothing else. Interested to see where he goes/ his career ends up. Didn’t find any real updates when I searched his name.

Snyder tweeted out Chatman’s mind changed when the offseason changes and assistant coach shuffling began.

Basically his allegiance was with Bacari/ Lavall rather than JB if that is taken as true

Basically, he realized that he wasn’t a high major player and waited for a soft landing spot with a coach with whom he had an existing relationship.

1 Like

Here we go again, if a player can’t thrive under JB it MUST be the player simply wasn’t good enough so he took a step back. I pray this kid lights it up at UD

So do I. But, it’ll be with the caveat of doing it in the Horizon league. It’s entirely possible that Kam could have been more productive for a different Power 5 school, but it was pretty clear that he was never going to live up to his billing. I would like to think that if his former suitors (offers from Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Gonzaga, UConn, USC) came calling, Kam would take the chance to play at the highest level possible that was available to him. Sure, he went where he would be comfortable. But he also went where he would play.

1 Like

I think he’s a little more skilled than some realize. He just never seemed to get comfortable. His playing time was never consistent and it looked to me like when he did get in the game, he pressed and never let the game come to him. Keep in mind he was really young, 17?, when he got to Ann Arbor. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t do well at Detroit,

2 Likes

I really, really hope he does, too. He seems like a great kid. I think he’ll have more success in the horizon league.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Pete Kahler, Kam Chatman’s father hired at UD