DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

What rules are you referring to?

I believe that now colleges are allowed to pay for a kid’s insurance policy. So it’s not just kids taking out insurance policies on themselves - now colleges can cover the cost and therefore a kid can end up with a really substantial insurance policy.

Being confirmed by multiple sources now and looks like the University even confirmed. To the Jazz isn’t a bad spot for him. I don’t see them playing him much but at some point him at the 3 in a lineup with Gobert, Favors, Hood and Hill/Exum definitely has some length. Plus I feel like Quinn is a good teacher of the game.

2 Likes

Since 2010, total # of players that have left early and actually gotten drafted per big Ten school:

Michigan- 7 (presuming Wilson gets drafted)
Indiana- 4 (presuming Thomas Bryant gets drafted)
Ohio State- 4
Maryland- 4 (presuming Trimble gets drafted)
MSU- 2
Wisconsin- 1
Illinois- 1
Iowa- 1

8 Likes

It baffles me that colleges can pay for this.

That is nuts. Credit to JB and the staff for their development. I just wish it didn’t come at the expense of the team’s success the following seasons.

1 Like

For as much as beilein gets blasted for his recruiting results and tactics by some, this is a giant middle finger to those people.

5 Likes

Would be curious to know the average recruiting rank, too; there’s guys like GR3 and Mitch who were expected to make it, and then guys like Tim and Caris whose ranks didnt suggest much hope of a pro career.

To think that JB developed the hell out so many guys, then was almost sunk by one (very) failed class, in 2014–because injuries and departures robbed him of depth/insurance.

1 Like

It’s definitely an interesting development. I’m not sure how it doesn’t create an uneven playing field. Hollis probably wanted it because Izzo asked for it, and there it is. Maybe they should be saving some of that money for all the lawsuits.

1 Like

We all know JB is a horrible recruiter. Now, If we could just get JB to do a worse job developing this awful talent then Maybe we could be in business…

6 Likes

Wow. That is interesting.

1 Like

Same thing that Michigan did with someone like Jake Butt, right?

I’m not entirely sure, and meant to look into that. It’s a very recent change in NCAA rules, like Butt may have been one year early for the school to pay for it instead of him and Bridges may be benefitting from the first year schools are allowed to pay for the policy? Seems like a big change, particularly because schools can afford to pay for higher payouts than families would be able to pay for on their own. Protecting downside risk is never cheap (I remember how costly puts were in my options trading days) - getting someone else to pay for your downside risk changes everything. Paying for a little downside risk protection may be doable, but it takes institutional money to truly cover downside risk sufficiently. Butt’s policy definitely didn’t make up the difference. It sounds like Bridges policy would leave him a lot more whole.

1 Like

What if getting housed in Ann Arbor causes his value to dip?

4 Likes

Good news as a late rd pick (hopefully) he should go to a team with talent who can push him and fit a role instead of star expectations.

1 Like

Those must be tough meetings for a coach to have.