Zavier Simpson only wants to look forward

I’m not asking, nor do I think, that the NCAA be involved. I’m talking about perception and reality.

1 Like

He also told them he wasn’t driving the car. Obviously, he lied about something. My guess is that he lied to protect himself and his friend (and the AD’s son), and in the process, gave conflicting stories.

IMO, based on the facts which are out there, and how Michigan has reacted, there is little, if any, chance that X was driving Warde’s wife’s car alone…and little is an overstatement.

Who knows, but I’ve never heard of a cop not doing a field test in a situation like this. There was at least some type of preferential treatment here. I listed it before but a crash in a car that’s not your ls at 3 am, owner not in the car, you lie about your name and get caught… in a situation like that a cop is always going to pull you out and give you a Basic field test at least and most likely searches the car and goes to the breathalyzer.

I love x and I of course am glad this blew over but there is no doubt they hooked x up there by dropping it there. Hell maybe he does pass it and I’m just a pessimistic jerk but if I’m totally sober and know I have nothing in the car and the only thing I did wrong was speed/ crash a car that’s not mine I just hit them was th the truth. Hey look, I’m a moron and was going to fast and couldn’t make the turn. Also this isn’t my car , it’s my friends . He lives here, here’s his number , he let me borrow it ect.

4 Likes

One of the few times X drove the lane and was happy not to get any points.

6 Likes

Lol, glad the stripes looked away. Hopefully there’s no replay late. Where’s Wymer that slimy bastard, hopefully his cousin isn’t a cop in Michigan

1 Like

I’m with bacon on that this is a bad look and maybe a few more games would have been warranted.

And particularly appreciative of bounce for the timely and relevant punchline.

Hopefully Simpson gets comfortable with the “Jeff Jackson” chants at every road game the rest of the season.

A few more details:

They found the car with no driver, but Simpson and another person walked up.

Simpson initially gave a false name and denied involvement in the crash.

“They figured it out – didn’t take long,” Clock said of Simpson’s identity.

Police tracked down the owner of the vehicle, Chrislan Manuel, who is married to Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel.

Officers were able to determine through Chrislan Manuel and her son, Evan Manuel, that Simpson was the driver.

Evan Manuel is a student manager for the basketball team.

Simpson did not smell of intoxicants, Clock said. The student-athlete told police the car slipped on ice before striking the pole. The car was towed from the scene.

The crash initially was listed as a hit-and-run incident, Clock said.

Though civil infractions are normally handed out a bit more quickly, the need to verify Simpson as the driver slowed the investigation.

In addition, a patrol sergeant sent the report back to the responding officer for an update, a glitch in the system delivered it slowly and the officer had days off in-between.

1 Like

NOW I understand where in the world that flagrant 1 came from. The arm of the law was so long it reached through the game and penalized X for the crash.

3 Likes

ESPN posted the story

More details:

A source with knowledge of the incident, speaking to The Athletic on the condition of anonymity, said the car in question was an eight-year-old Toyota RAV4 registered to Chrislan Manuel, the wife of Warde Manuel. That car had been handed down to Evan Manuel, their son, and a student manager for the Michigan basketball program. Evan Manuel and Simpson live in the same apartment building and Evan Manuel, according to the source, loaned Simpson the car on the night of the crash.

MLive and the Detroit Free Press reported Thursday that Simpson gave police a fake name when found at the accident scene. Both of the stories said he did not smell of intoxicants and, according to the Free Press, the car was towed from the scene and Chrislan Manuel was notified.

According to sources familiar with the internal athletic department investigation at Michigan, Warde Manuel deferred to executive associate athletic director Greg Harden to explore the incident. Harden, U-M’s director of athletic counseling since 1994 and an athletic department administrator since 2008, made the recommendation on how to proceed and what punishment to extend in Simpson’s case.

Thank goodness. Now all the Sparties will have our back. Common enemy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unless body cams are released I think this will always have an aura of shadiness.

People are going to justifiably believe that the AA police turned a blind eye to a DUI charge because he’s an athlete. Especially with the report stating the officer observed him stumbling.

Yeah I mean its massive fodder for rival fans. But not really anything Michigan can do as far as I can tell. MSU fans will enjoy trying to equate it to their plethora of police and athlete related issues, but will just make themselves look dumb

6 Likes

Scott Bell has already succeeded in doing so.

1 Like

An update:

2 Likes

More new info:

The SUV, a 2011 Toyota RAV4, had struck a street sign and utility pole, Bush said. It was empty, but police saw three people nearby.

Two of the three people were a man and woman who said they didn’t see the crash or who was driving.

The third person was a man who told police he was walking by and noticed his friend’s car, Bush said.

The man gave the name of “Jeff Jackson,” Bush said.

He was really Zavier Simpson, however, and officers knew it. Confronted, Simpson said he didn’t want to be involved with the crash report and was just walking by, Bush said.

“Once they recognized he was Zavier Simpson … one of the officers went back to the car and he noticed Simpson stumble a couple of times as he was walking around outside of the vehicle,” she said. "… He advised the other officer of his observation but stated he could — he did not smell the odor of intoxicants on Simpson’s breath.”

At least he used a generic name like Jeff Jackson rather than, say, Tua Tagovailoa, or God Shammgod.

2 Likes

“Hi, I’m Lennay Kekua”

5 Likes

Shoulda said he was Cassius Winston

11 Likes