Zavier Simpson only wants to look forward

I know you probably don’t want to get into it much but you gotta admit that was some super special treatment/ friends of the program move here by those officers.

That Simpson lied about his name, was driving someone else’s car, and was stumbling to get the info in the car…even if the cops didn’t do a sobriety test…if I’m Juwan, I’m being a little harder on Simpson than a one game suspension.

1 Like

Well, I suspect he had all of the information and even more than what we have.

1 Like

Anyone else at least a little concerned about possible NCAA issues?

How so? Seems like the case, outside of paying fines, etc., is closed.

3 Likes

Why? Regardless of the suspect circumstances, he wasn’t charged with anything that warrants further consideration.

Star player having access to a car owned by the wife of the athletic director? Its closed only n the case of his discipline by the university but this news is just coming out and it is not a good look. I am sure this will draw the attention of others now that more of the story is made available.

There are a of things that are not against the law that are against the rules of the NCAA

And I’m kinda disappointed the punishment wasn’t more severe.

4 Likes

The fact that it was Warde Manuel’s son makes it look a bit more awkward but if the headline were “Simpson driving student manager’s car” or “Simpson driving classmate’s car”, I don’t think anyone would really flinch.

Given that all of this has been known since the suspension was handed out, I wouldn’t expect any sort of compliance issue or anything like that.

4 Likes

I don’t think the NCAA would consider borrowing a friend’s car, who happened to be the athletic director’s wife’s car, would be considered an illegal benefit. But I agree with your point it isn’t a good look. NCAA-sanction-worthy? I don’t see it.

I think the appearance that athletes might be getting preferential treatment from cops is far more problematic than Simpson borrowing the car. We don’t know if that is actually happening, but this is some evidence it could be.

5 Likes

Could be but it is in the past. They can’t charge him with any intoxication at this point so they might not be thrilled but I don’t see anything they can do about it at this point. Cops decision and word. They said he was good, so be it. Too late for NCAA to react.

I do know this if I was x or anyone on the team for that matter and I liked to get down like our old program legend Mitch McGary, I’d make sure not to indulge for the rest of the year. I hope Juwan makes this point home. I foresee a lot of trips to the urinal with men peeking over my shoulder coming forth

2 Likes

I agree with that fundamentally…if that ends up being true, but the charge is the charge, the suspension is the suspension, and if there is more information to push it further into ugliness, then it will manifest itself. In today’s world, it’s very hard for stuff like this to be conveniently swept under the rug, and I would assume Juwan and Ward know this all too well. Until then, anything beyond what has been reported is, even though very prossibly true, only speculation.This is not to say there will be certain fan bases that will have a field day with it regardless.

2 Likes

Don’t take my question as a signal I want bad things to happen to Simpson or to the program as a whole but to say that just because the report is done and the police found no wrong doing makes it a done deal in the eyes of the NCAA.

Again, this happened almost two weeks ago. It was the AD’s son’s car. It isn’t like compliance is just learning what happened right now.

As far as suspension length… I’m not really sure what the going rate is so to speak for an OWI. It gets more complicated by the fact that it wasn’t actually an OWI. Even if it looks like maybe it could have been, it still wasn’t.

A suspension for a “too fast for conditions ticket” would probably be nothing. It was right to suspend Simpson for some amount of time based on everything else (the circumstances, lying about his name, etc.) but I’m not really sure what the process is to determine how long is right.

5 Likes

I think you guys are all missing an obvious, and to me, quite likely, possibility, namely that Manuel’s son was with X. They are friends and the son is a manager. He could not have said he wasn’t the driver if he didn’t have someone else in the car. If Warde’s son was with him, and quite possibly in no position to drive the car himself, that would explain X’s driving the car, his panic (I had an accident, I’m out after hours with someone, and the the AD’s son at that, who was intoxicated, and I’ve violated team rules. None of this means that X wasn’t, himself, intoxicated, and it certainly is not meant to excuse X or to comment one way or the other about the severity of the punishment. However, it seems infinitely more plausible to me than X driving around in an “extra benefits” situation, especially since like Dylan, I’m sure that compliance knows about this and has reviewed it extensively.

3 Likes

Am I missing where the article states that Manuel’s son was on site? Simpson told police he was the only person in the car when the accident occurred.

If the cop were trying to cover it up, why would he have noted that he slipped going to the car?

1 Like

Oh I know your not wishing any I’ll will on x or the program but I don’t see what they can possibly do at this point. He was absolved. Warde is the ifs friend fro the team and Xavier was just driving it. It’s not like their claiming he owns the car or wardes family gage it him or it’s in his name ect.