Zak Irvin and the starting lineup

Last night was interesting to see Kam Chatman get another start. I thought for sure that Irvin would be inserted into that spot. Chatman has been solid but Irvin is far more talented and reliable. Was it just because it was his first game back so he came off the bench or should we be used to seeing Irvin in the 6th man role.

1 Like

Interesting question – I think Irvin will probably shake off the rust and reclaim the spot, although Chatman is looking better and doing some nice things (mainly passing). Irvin’s ice-cold shooting was to be expected, but man he was missing bad. Any chance that Robinson gets the start if he can continue his ridiculous shooting against real competition?

1 Like

I think Irvin reclaims the spot sooner rather than later but is just being worked back in. Guess it’s possible that he comes off the bench for a bit even as his minutes go up.

I don’t think Dawkins and Robinson get the start together – have they been on the court together? Seems like the staff is worried about that lineup, perhaps for defensive and rebounding purposes. And I don’t think Robinson passes Dawkins at this point.

1 Like

Based on Coach Beilein raving about Irvin in his presser, it’s only a matter of time until Irvin starts.

It seems inevitable Irvin replaces Chatman, and I agree with the move, but I do like seeing the bigger lineup with Wilson or Chatman at the 4, even better would be putting Wagner in there

1 Like

I think he’ll definitely start eventually, but it sounds like there was some hesitation as to just how ready he was (asked him to sleep on the decision, etc.)…

I don’t think there is any question Zac will reclaim the spot. While I don’t like the idea of him having to guard fours again, he simply is the best option we have and I don’t see that changing. Now, could Zac move back to the three where he belongs, yes, he could. BUT Aubrey is simply a better option to have on the floor than Kam, so Irvin slides to the four spot that Kam currently occupies. I believe Aubrey will get the majority of minutes at the three, backed up by Duncan with Duncan perhaps playing as much as 15 or 16 minutes depending on whether he figures out how to play defense, in Belein’s words, “using his brain” rather than relying on athleticism which, I think we all agree, is somewhat below average. I think he can and will although he may struggle to be average at best on the defensive end. His shot however is “sick!” What a weapon! But the truth is we don’t have any other great defensive options at the three or the four. I think in Belein’s perfect world Duncan would be able to play both the three and the four. Unfortunately this isn’t a perfect world. My next question is where will DJ play, the four or the five? I do believe Mo will eventually be the backup to Ricky. I’ve even said I think Mo could start at the five by the end of the season. We’ll see how that whole scenario works out as he’ll have to get a lot stronger. Back to DJ, four or five, or both? If it’s the four where does that leave Kam. I think the battle is not between Kam and Zac, not between Kam and Aubrey or even Duncan. The battle is between Kam and DJ at the four. The other battle is between Mo, DJ, and Mark at the five, and, quite frankly, I think one of them has just about played himself out of the rotation. Finally, I love MAAR. I think he’d be a solid combo guard to backup both Caris and Derrick, BUT Spike will spell Derrick, and he’ll do it admirably. So will JB play four guards? Will he go with an eight man rotation, or nine, or ten? Hmmm… Lot’s of questions and lots of options. I guess we just stay tuned. Ain’t this fun!

1 Like