Top Active Coaches Expectations Versus Performance

Bottom line in my opinion - a coach can't be anything less than average on either side of the court in order to be considered one of the very best. While I very much like JB as a person and respect the fact that the team has improved under his watch, the man simply can't field a team that is at least average defensively on a consistent basis. JB is a good coach but to label him among the very best is kind of ridiculous considering he doesn't have a ring.

I could simply list any coach that has won a champ in the last 10-15 yrs but that would be pointless in my opinion.

Wait, didn’t you just say you don’t care if a team wins 1-0 or 100-99? Then spit this out as why you don’t like him as a coach?

The emphasis was placed on banners in the context in which I agreed with jblair. Never said I didn’t like him as a coach

Bill Self (2)
Agreed though I’d argue he’s had the luxury of coaching bluebloods, after Roy Wiliiams left him in a great place no less.

Thad Matta (2)
What has he won?

Bob Huggins (2)
This is 2014. No.

Steve Fisher (3)*
Agreed.

Billy Donovan (3)
Agreed.

Larry Brown (3)
This is 2014. No.

John Calipari (4)
No.

Jim Boeheim (4)
Agreed.

Tom Izzo (6)
Agreed.

Roy Williams (7)
Agreed.

Rick Pitinio (7)
Agreed.

Mike Krzyzewski (11)
Agreed.

I love how the cutoff was magically 2, as well. So 7 guys I can agree with and the funny thing is when polled, JB was one of the first two names that came out of a majority of their mouths. The media says the same thing. Other fanbases will say the same thing. Most of our fans, save for a few of year who like to be contrarians, will say the same thing.

Thad Matta (2) Historically bad offensive coach
John Calipari (4) Historically bad Xs and Os coach on both sides of the ball
Jim Boeheim (4) Historically bad offensive coach
Tom Izzo (6) Recently bad offensive coach
Mike Krzyzewski (11) Recently bad defensive coach