Thoughts on 2014-15 season

Then I’d say the trip couldn’t be coming at a better time for this program. The coaches will have a valuable opportunity to see what roles our untested players fit best into under game conditions, not to mention giving our very young frontcourt an extra dose of experience.

I think, like most folks, we’ll start the year a little rough (in our high profile matchups at least) and settle in by the start of big ten play.
There will be a learning curve (especially for our inexperienced bugs) but should be fun to watch the kids grow.

What excites me the most is the potential for this team in 2015-2016 if only Caris leaves next year. Walton, Irvin, Chatman, Wilson and Donnal plus any big time recruits (the Jalens, Huff, etc.) - could be special.

Hate to say it, we’ve had those kinds of hopes every year, but pretty much every player in this program starts looking at the NBA the first chance they get. LeVert’s early departure is virtually certain, and I expect that we’ll have to sweat through Walton and Irvin at least considering leaving, and possibly Chatman too. Not all of them may go, but we’ll likely go through the same month of uncertainty next year, too, not knowing what our lineup will be for 2015-16.

I agree with MChem83, the kids are using the college game as a stepping stone for the next level, especially the top 40 recruits. I see UM as a 2 and done scenario vs. the one year programs like Kentucky. After two they will test the NBA and run the numbers.

With that said, I wonder if the changes and pressure on the NCAA and NBA will take hold in the next two years. I was really surprised most of the Kentucky kids stayed this year, they have 5 stars backed up on the bench with the twins staying. I wonder how that’s playing out with the new kids coming in…tough for top 25 recruits to sit on the bench. The new kids had to be hoping one and done and might have some fallout. It should be interesting how five star recruits adjust to sitting the bench and reduced minutes.

I know this, never count JB teams out until after the games are played. He’s won a lot of games with lesser talent.

Yep, Beilein won the Big Ten in 2011-12 basically playing RS So. Morgan, So. Smotrycz and 5 guards. Even with all of the departures, we’ll have overall talent and athleticism at least as good as that next season.

Hate to say it, we've had those kinds of hopes every year, but pretty much every player in this program starts looking at the NBA the first chance they get. LeVert's early departure is virtually certain, and I expect that we'll have to sweat through Walton and Irvin at least considering leaving, and possibly Chatman too. Not all of them may go, but we'll likely go through the same month of uncertainty next year, too, not knowing what our lineup will be for 2015-16.

I remember the years when we would hope for the NIT and the only “early departures” were from transfers…

You guys are all acting like people going pro is a Michigan problem. It’s the same across college basketball. The option is to not recruit talented players and then coach them four years, or build great teams with talented players and realize there’s a chance they can go pro.

Going pro is not solely a Michigan problem, but a lot of other teams seem to have no trouble keeping really talented players for three or four years, and to put experienced lineups on the floor on a regular basis. Wisconsin, Michigan State, Florida and Louisville, just to name a few from last year. Why do first team all conference guys like Payne and Kaminsky not even think twice about whether to come back for their senior seasons, while we have trouble keeping guys of the same caliber even past their second year?

Not that we haven’t had a lot of success on the floor, but it is a little frustrating to seem to have to start from scratch every couple of years, and cross our fingers that this year’s crop will develop as quickly and unexpected as their predecessors. And always having a inexperienced lineup certainly has an impact on our team defense. It’s not a coincidence that defense has been our biggest weakness the last two years.

Wisconsin, Michigan State, Florida and Louisville

2nd round talent

2nd round talent

Payne, Dawson, Kaminsky, Decker… I bet you most if not all of them go in the first round.

C - Mark Donnal(25)/ Ricky Doyle (10)/Beilfeldt(5)
F - Kam Chatman(30)/Mark Donnal(5)/ DJ Wilson(5)
F - Zak Irvin(30)/Kam Chatman(5)/Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman(5)
G - Caris LeVert(30)/Zak Irvin(5)/Spike Albrecht(5)
G - Derrick Walton(30)/Spike Albrecht(5)/Caris Levert(5)

We will see how things shake out of course, but right now, I see Wilson getting more minutes than Doyle

2nd round talent

Payne, Dawson, Kaminsky, Decker… I bet you most if not all of them go in the first round.

Payne is the only 1 and it took 4 years.

What does it matter where those teams’ players get drafted? The point is that they’re able to retain enough talent to field lineups with 3 or 4 quality upperclassmen, something we haven’t been able to do, for some reason. How those players eventually shake out in the NBA doesn’t really matter, unless elite talent is coming to Michigan because we have a reputation for producing first round picks. As far as I know, that’s not happening yet.

What does it matter where those teams' players get drafted? The point is that they're able to retain enough talent to field lineups with 3 or 4 quality upperclassmen, something we haven't been able to do, for some reason. How those players eventually shake out in the NBA doesn't really matter, unless elite talent is coming to Michigan because we have a reputation for producing first round picks. As far as I know, that's not happening yet.

Is this a joke? Where they are drafted determines retainment. Upperclassmen are guys who aren’t great players fr and so year.

The point is that it didn’t hurt any of those teams to have lineups heavy on upperclassmen.

The point is that it didn't hurt any of those teams to have lineups heavy on upperclassmen.

So how do you propose we exchange 2 year, 1st rd picks for 4 year, 2nd rounders?

Results will continue to bring opportunity for players and good programs produce talent. The Ability to develop talent and exposure at UM is the future. I don’t care who plays but if they continue the trend of elite eight the future is bright.

Someone is Hella Selfish. Get over it! They found a Job!

So how do you propose we exchange 2 year, 1st rd picks for 4 year, 2nd rounders?

We really can’t at this point. For better or worse, this team under Beilein is always going to be inexperienced. I don’t see us having a roster with 3 or 4 upperclassmen among our top 8 players any time in the near future, and we’re not likely to ever be starting 3 or 4 upperclassmen.