This Year Is About Appreciating Something Pretty Good That's Not Great

Good point MPB. It often seemed like the program in the Brandon era wanted to have it both ways – big, powerful, lucrative national brand but with small-time, plucky-underdog expectations. Can’t have it both ways.

Hopefully Harbaugh’s take-no-prisoners attitude will eventually rub off on basketball.

I’ll be damned. I had no idea you felt that way. :wink: Yes, the logjam at the five does look problematic, though I could see Donnal and Moritz and Wilson as 4s and then things don’t look that bad. Beilein is going to get a pass for this year, come what may. But next year will bring serious scrutiny. I think all these guys grow up and play better next year, but I’m not sure who our go-to guy is.

I just can’t see those 3 ever playing the 4 and Michigan being in contention for a B1G title and a high seed.

I really think it’s wishful thinking/fans hoping these guys can play the 4 and play it well.

With those 3 at the 4 Belein loses that mis match everyone clamours for on offense.

As much as I hate the 5 spot recruiting, I do think Donnal has turned into a nice player.
I also would love to see more Wilson + Wagner on the floor at the same time. JMO

1 Like

To get back on topic, Jerry Palm’s most recent bracketology from today has us as one of the last four teams in (potentially the last team in) playing in a play-in game.

And in Lunardi’s bracket that was just posted we are a 10-seed, one of the last four byes.

That’s about right where I thought we’d be before the season started. We have bubble team talent.

Beat NW and win a game in the BTT and pray.

In is In. I could care less at this point if we’re a 10 seed or an 8 seed.

I’m just hoping we hit some kind of spark. I feel like we’re just trying to keep our heads above water.
If we can get shots to start dropping, I think we beat NW + 1 more + see how the BT tourney unfolds.

In our last 5 games we’re only shooting 32.5% from three. That’s including our 14-25 vs. Minnesota.
The other 4 games we’re only shooting 26% from three. Shots have to start falling at some point.

The thing I worry about is bracketologists talking about “only 3 top 100 wins” and how 1 in 300+ teams have made the tournament with those statistics. They fail to mention that those three wins are over the RPI top 20. Hopefully Penn State moves into this arbitrary “top 100” category, as we beat them twice and are now very close to that threshold after beating Iowa.

IMO 2 regular season wins and we should be a in especially if we win 2 and get a B1G tourney win. 1 season win and 1 tourney win and it is close but I think we will get in. It will be a close call. It is still better then last season where we are guaranteed the NIT at the worst. Lets hope that is not what happens though.

We do need to make the tourney, but if we just limp in I’m not so sure I care all that much. Maybe I’ll grow more enthusiastic as the event approaches. The lack of fire against OSU really concerned me. Would like to know about the internal dynamics of the team, what gives. Maybe Beilein’s comment about waiting for Caris and how they might have changed up the offense a little if he wasn’t returning is a clue. It’s still totally possible that they’re playing it pretty straight–he just suffered a setback and really couldn’t play at OSU. But the number of games left for the team to reintegrate him is, obviously, dwindling.

2 Likes