Taking Pistons on as my new second team

Something may be afoot

John Hollinger
@johnhollinger

·

17m

FYI The reported deals for Grant and Plumlee are exactly enough to do a sign-and-trade for Blake Griffin.

Grant was reported at 3 for 60. $20 million a year. That’s a really hefty number for him. He’s a nice player but that’s a serious overpay. Not sure why the Pistons are spending money like crazy. There’s no rule you have to spend it all right away.

Ok that number sounds more plausible than the 3 for 20.

If Hollinger is saying what I think he is, Grant and Plumlee are signed to contracts that make trading them to Detroit for Griffin possible.

Ie, Weaver may be breaking Blake into smaller pieces. Grant may be an overpay on that, but not as much as Blake is right now.

Yes, the goal is to tank in the next couple years at least and get Emoni out of it

Depends on priorities. Halliburton is seen as an off-ball player in NBA-world, Hayes a ball-in-hand facilitator.

1 Like

Trying to figure out why Montrez Harrell took a discount. Guy has never really gotten paid before and is in his prime.

Jerami Grant signing is an insane move. Weaver’s already lost me

Out of all the moves, you hate the best one?

Grant is at least a good player (if overpaid on this) I don’t think he has a place on a rebuilding team.

If Grant and and Plumlee end up being Sign and Trades from Denver for Griffin I think it’s actually a nice piece of work, in that both those guys should be more tradeable for something the Pistons want than Blake is.

There’s no way Denver is taking Blake back.

Lol that’s certainly the part I wouldn’t understand.

But the reality is that the Pistons don’t have the cap space to do this without a sign and trade, and they happened to man two guys on the same team whose new contracts equal Blake’s on the nose.

I don’t think so either but maybe? They can’t get over the hump as is…I love Denver but the West is in a serious arms race right now. As built they would just have to sit back and wait for some of these teams to get older and fade and wait for their young pieces to come into their prime.

As far as Grant he is a nice young player, someone was going to have to over pay for his services. He also fits the style of player Weaver has been going for. He seems to be going for blue collar/ tough defenders.

I’d add a roster of

Murray/Morris
Harris
Barton/Craig
Blake/Porter
Jokic/ Bol Bol

Would be pretty tough. I think Blake would fit well there actually. They had been rumored to be interested in Blake and Love before if I recall.

Signing Grant takes a slot from Dembouya on the days Blake is healthy enough to play. He’s a great guy to have as your third or fourth guy next to two stars (the Pistons don’t have any of those). He’s also valuable because he can be a good small ball 5, but acquiring 4 centers in two days suggests that’s not the plan.

The Pistons are going to toss Hayes out there on a team with one (1) plus shooter (Svi) and have him work and develop in about the most difficult offensive environment conceivable.

They also won’t stop anyone - starting Plumlee and Griffin in the front-court guarantee that.

People confuse Plumlee as a plus defender - he’s not, he was a defensive replacement in Denver because the alternative was Jokic.

And they’re going to be OVER the cap to do it. Generally when tanking teams go over the cap they get draft picks to do it…not so here.

Pistons aren’t tanking. They are just repeating their strategy of the past decade and “retooling”. Plumlee and Grant signings assured that

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I’m saying. This isn’t tanking, it’s stumbling around blind.

Pistons will still stink. grant chose the Pistons because they were giving him a bigger role. Which he will not be very good at.

The issue is most rebuilding teams use the cap space to take on other assets in trades

1 Like

Lol

I think that was actually a good trade. Though in the context of everything else we’ve done, it seems odd now

3 Likes