Taking Pistons on as my new second team

That is the exact opposite of what they should be doing if they ever want to reach heights as high as the early-mid 2000’s IMO. They should be doing exactly what they have done, blowing up the mess of the last 15 years into oblivion and starting over from scratch. If they get 20 wins this year it’ll have been a failure. You can’t control the lottery, but in next two drafts a top three pick is infinitely better than it was this year.

4 Likes

What’s that have to do with Tillman and Stewart

Any contract can be moveable. Just need to find the right buyer. I’m sure Weaver is working to move Blake’s contract.

Rose isn’t much of a problem since it’s only 7 mil and an expiring contract.

Sekou is exactly the kind of prospect the Pistons should be swinging for at mid teen pick. They need to find potential superstar. I don’t think Sekou is one but I think he’ll be a high end athletic 3&D wing player which is valuable. We seen flashes of potential last season. He’s a smart cutter, can run and showed that he can shoot.

Shoulda sold high on the Pistons yesterday boy. Today’s signings are…not encouraging.

Drafting a center #16, then signing 2 more in the early stages of FA, including a massive overpay of Plumlee…

2 Likes

On the bright side, these signings should assure that they wind up with a top 3 pick next year and can draft Cunningham, Green or Kuminga!

3 Likes

I’m am stunned

They went out and spent money on Plumlee and Jahlil Okafor instead of try to re-sign Christian Wood - a 24 year old old who spent the last two months doing a 22/9 with a blocked shot a game and shooting over 40% from 3.

Maybe it’s as simple as Wood will help them win too many games and they are finally going for a proper tank. Otherwise, yeah you’d think Wood would be a player you want in your future

My reaction is that they made these signings because Wood won’t sign with them. And who could blame him for that?

5 Likes

Hes 24!!

They can build around him!

These moves don’t stop them from bringing back Wood. Can go over the cap to bring him back. And they may see him as a PF with Blake to be dealt. Not to mention, this team isn’t trying to win. I bet Weaver sees Plumlee as someone he can trade for a pick at some point. And Okafor is on a vet minimum. Don’t see the issue here.

Yea, Okafor is just shoring up the end of the bench. I have no issue with that. I also like Plumlee. Gives you someone who you can count on for 20-30 a night depending on situation and is the better defender at this point in defending the p n p/ p n r over Stewart.

Also as someone pointed out he won’t make you win too much… if the Pistons were really going to try and win now they wouldn’t have let some of those vets go and should have thrown all their cash at Van Vleet.

I think Weaver is stripping it down, he saw the purgatory they were in. Building it back up with tough character guys with some upside. I really like Bey and Stewart. Still haven’t watched Hayes enough but from what I’ve watched and read about him he fits the bill of what Weaver is clearly envisioning with these picks.

Luckily for the Pistons there is a ton of nice offensive minded , extremely high potential sg/wing creators coming out.

If they land Cade,Boston, Green, or Kuminga next year then bingo your in business with a great young nucleus that fits stylistically very well. Something much greater than the last few years ceiling or roster could ever become.

They only have his early Bird rights, which cap at $10 million, so they can now only sign him if he’d take that (he won’t)

So I admittedly haven’t read this entire thread. Just curious as to the consensus regarding taking Hayes over Haliburton. All the pundits seemed to be higher on Haliburton, though obviously he slipped a ways during the draft for whatever reason.

Not all of the pundits. KOC had Hayes as his #1

So pistons fans, Wood just signed a 3 yr deal for similar money as Plumlee…

Edit: apparently not official. Teams prob freaked out when they heard that was his best offer

Apparently more moves coming. A trade involving Dedmon. And the Houston trade that involved Ariza might be part of this Woods deal.

He was projected to get around $15 million/year. That’s not the salary of someone you build around. I don’t think many around the NBA think he can sustain the level of production he had during his run starting. Otherwise he would be projected to be getting closer to 20+ million.

That said, Pistons signing so many Cs doesn’t make any sense. I guess we will see how it shakes out.

Wood is a fantastic player for whoever gets him, but he’s definitely not the type of player to build around in today’s NBA.

Wood to Houston, 3 years $41 million.

Jerami Grant to Pistons, 3 years, $20 million

Grants a bargain at that price. Still hate the Plumlee signing.

Grant is a weird piece for this team though - he’s a complimentary piece to stars.