Taking Pistons on as my new second team

Did Mrs. Kennard edit that

3 Likes

Yeah, what a weird thing to do lol. Of all the moves he’s made, one of the obviously good ones is a weird one to mock.

Pistons are 100% still tanking. Grant is a great signing at a good price that isn’t good enough to prevent them from getting a great pick. If he breaks out offensively like he thinks he will, he will be a huge asset in the third year of his contract to trade.

The five centers thing is a huge overreaction. At least two of them won’t ever play for the Pistons.

Plumlee was bad value but my bet would be he starts, averages good numbers and gets shipped to a contender at the trade deadline for picks.

Rose and Griffin will be gone by end of season at the latest and if they are somehow still on the roster mid-season they’ll get shut down. At the rate Weaver is currently working, they might be gone by tomorrow

Hayes, Svi, Grant, Sekou, Plumlee is a fun, terrible lineup that gets the core rotation guys of the future lots of time immediately. I love it.

4 Likes

Yea, my first thought was Bey for Kennard makes a lot of sense.

I really don’t buy this. Everything they’ve done in FA is indicating that they are going all in on trying to get the 8th seed. Trading for two contracts just to stretch them in order to fit in veteran players at outsized prices is very much indicative of that. The Pistons are going to keep Rose and Griffin and go hard for that 8 seed. But they’ll end up with probably the 8th pick and be back where they were 3 years ago.

Probably the worst Pistons offseason in the post-Billups era.

1 Like

It’s being reported that Denver offered 3/60 as well and he opted for Detroit.

I just 100% disagree. Guess we will have to wait and see!

Trading Kennard and Brown for a pick and Musa were decisively not “let’s contend now” moves. If Blake is on the roster a week from now you may be right. Sounds like there’s a good chance still that they’re not done.

And man unless you hate Killian Hayes and Saddiq Bey I don’t think you can compare this off-season to the Jon Leuer, Josh Smith or Ben Gordon/Charlie V offseasons.

7 Likes

If you’re drafting Killian Hayes it kind of is - Rose and Wright are combo guards, and Svi/Villanova guy are 2/3’s.

Kennard was superfluous if they understood their draft.

Yeah that’s a bold proclamation when the Smith/Leuer and Gordon/Villanueva offseasons led the pistons directly down the path to permanent mediocrity. None of these contracts are as bad as those and they had a pretty good draft on top of that. I don’t love not going all in on the tank, but this team should still be very bad assuming Blake and DRose either get traded or just get hurt like they always do.

2 Likes

I think if Blake’s on the roster still it will be because they can’t get a decent offer or find any buyers. Maybe Weaver sees this and thinks he has to sell him mid season, his value won’t be any lower than right now.

Maybe they let Griffin show the league he’s healthy and let him ball a bit to increase his values then find a better offer from a desperate team looking to make a run.

I think they make the playoffs if they want to, I just don’t see the point personally.

You are also often incorrectly over dramatic. Remember the program was about to crater when Beilein up and left?

3 Likes

I guess what is your read on what is happening? Why sign Jerami Grant for 20 mil a year unless you’re going all-in on competing? They’re signing a guy like that to a huge contract to tank?

My issue that makes this probably the worst offseason is that these overpriced vet signings have corresponded with trading away bucketloads of future picks and stretching salaries so that we’ll have dead cap for years to come. Usually the Pistons only do one of these three dumb things in any given offseason instead of all at once.

I think Weaver sees him as young enough to stick through the transition. He had him in OKC so he must really value him.

Josh Jackson is an interesting get. Has the potential to be a lockdown defender.

He played solid in spurts last year. Worth a shot off the bench.

Also for those cursing Weavers moves you could always be the Hornets.

Grant 3 yrs for 60 >Hayward 4 yrs at 120

Ouch. Imagine that. For once even Knick fans must feel good.

They got Miles Bridges on a rookie deal and they do that. Teams just get so impatient.

1 Like

You’re really over estimating this roster. Pistons don’t have a contract going past 22-23. Dedmon/MacGruder are irrelevant. There’s a good chance Rose or Griffin are traded at some point.The protected 1st rounder is top 16 protected the first 4 years, top 10 protected the next 2 years, top 9 protected for 1 year and after that it turns into 2 2nd round picks. They just selected 3 1st round picks that they obviously hope are part of the future.

This is the first time in years and years they have had a plan and want to tear it down. The only 2 players left on the roster from opening night last year are Rose and Griffin(hurt didn’t play).

After you get past Rose(still limited), Grant, Griffin this is what you have Okafor/Plumlee/Wright/Dembouya/Jackson/Bradley/Musa/Svi/Hayes/Bey/Stewart

I just gave you a list of 10 guys most likely Lee and Devitis will be in the G League if there is a season. That group of 10 no matter who dresses or plays aren’t moving the needle at this point with this team. It’s going to be one of the worst teams teams (bottom 4) in the NBA which should certainly put them in the running for a guy like Cunningham or Green.

This is probably the best offseason in a long time because in 2 years when the team should be shaping up quite well they will have a bunch of guys on their rookie deals, Griffin gone, Grant 1 year left (yes he will be enticing for a team if they are interested in an expiring contract), last year for Wright, last year for Plumlee. Please tell me how this is such an awful thing.

2 Likes

These arguments about these moves being 5d chess just don’t make sense. Y’all are really stretching to try and fit all these actions together coherently. Why would they massively overpay a guy who fits only as a roleplayer on a contender for 3 years? Or pay 2 times market value for 3 years for a replacement level center (likely lauded as a gritty leader) to start for them? And stretch two players to create dead cap for the next FIVE years (after we just spent forever being hamstrung by Smith’s stretched deal). Because Jerami Grant MABYE could be able to land them a late first 3 years from now??? Really that’s the explanation? That’s insane Twister logic. There are obviously way better ways to handle all this space (like taking on negative assets to receive draft picks) that have been tried and tested. These are clearly all short-term thinking moves as they try to be competitive (wouldn’t surprise me if it was a directive from Gores).

It seems pretty clear that what they are trying to do is “build for the future AND win now at the same time!” i.e. retool. I imagine that is word for word what Weaver will say whenever he has a press conference. If they had their preference they would make the playoffs this year. This team isn’t nearly good enough to make the playoffs, but if Rose and Griffin are playing most of the year, it isn’t nearly bad enough to be top 4 bad. Even the Pistons this year with Griffin pretty much not playing all season were only the 5th worst. If you want to be in that top 3, you need to be TRYING to tank. If you aren’t trying to and are just a bad team, then welcome to the 7th to 9th purgatory the Pistons have been in for the past decade.

I was somewhat hopeful after the draft since I generally liked the players they drafted (although parts of the trades were trash as they gave out second rounders like candy), but after FA it’s clear this franchise doesn’t have the discipline it takes to be bad.

If Rose and Griffin are flipped for nothing/assets in the next week or so (training camp isn’t too far away!), then I’ll personally rebut everything I’ve said. But nothing that’s happened post-draft points to that being the plan.

The plan appears to be to establish a high motor, defensive team. Grant is a 3andD guy. Bey projects to be. Josh Jackson has potential in that regard. Stewart’s rep is a high motor big that’s efficient around the basket and has a good block rate. Plumlee generally fits as a high motor big.

That being said, Dzazan Musa over Bruce Brown doesn’t fit that narrative. Nor does Okafor, And I would rather have the younger Christian Wood, then Grant.

1 Like

Pistons were on the cusp of being the worst team in the east before the season stopped. They were tied with the Hawks and they actually have a young star in Young to go along with Capela/Gallinari/Rondo/Collins/Okwongu/Hunter/Reddish. I can guarantee you the Hawks are much better than these Pistons. Golden State won 15 games last year I sincerely doubt they have the worst record in the league again. Griffin can still be a good player but people confuse him for a guy in his prime and he isn’t that. He’s a guy that relies more on being a stretch 4 with some occasional bully ball. He can still be a good player but he can’t play 35+ mpg anymore he’s probably closer to 28-30 a night.

Pistons were firmly entrenched to be in right in that hunt for a top 3 lottery pick before the stoppage hit.