Should Beilein go after

Conner Frankamp Deadeye shooter transferring from Kansas? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24776683/reports-sharpshooter-conner-frankamp-transferring-from-kansas

I would pass. No doubt the kid can stroke it, and can shoot off 1-2 dribbles, but he is small and below average athletically. Basically a smaller Duncan Robinson. Would have issues defensively at that size in conjunction with the lack of speed/lateral movement. Wouldn’t get much penetration in a half court set due to lack of athleticism, change of direction, and size. This kid certainly isn’t a PG, and is too small for the 2…wouldn’t be a good fit for our team because he can’t play PG and to put him out there with another smallish guard would be very bad on D. I’d like to think the staff has moved away from “just shooter” types, especially 6’0 just shooter types, and it appears they have been targeting a more multi-faceted player of late.

He would’ve been a prime target while Beilein was at WVU but I don’t think he is now. He is actually extremely athletic vertically but for whatever reason isn’t as good side to side. I think he is very similar to Spike.

He would've been a prime target while Beilein was at WVU but I don't think he is now. He is actually extremely athletic vertically but for whatever reason isn't as good side to side. I think he is very similar to Spike.

I say this with all due respect…is that what you call “extremely athletic” in terms of verticality. Everyone has variations in opinion when certain attributes are within a range of average/above average and average/below average, but to call him exteremely athletic vertically is absolutely shocking to me…just wow. If he is very similar to Spike, that would imply he’s a pretty below average in every sense of the word in terms of verticality.

His game as a whole is very similar to Spike’s. He is extremely athletic vertically which Spike isn’t. Frankamp doesn’t show his leaping ability in the half court. I’ve seen him (in person) windmill and 360 dunk with ease in warmup lines.

Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85EJkH61Cb4

Not bad for a six footer. Not saying his chin is at the rim, but I would label him as extremely athletic vertically.

In my opinion, that is not extremely athletic…far from it. Corey Sanders is what you label extremely athletic in my opinion… Just agree to disagree.

That’s fine by me. Just wish there was more out there to back up what I’ve seen.

Matt D, so basically, Spike is not a good fit for our team? Personally, I will take the shooter everytime.

Webb - you like “just shooters” as a matter of preference, I don’t. In the context of Spike, I love the kid to death, but ultimately you are talking about a kid with Career best averages of 3ppg and 2apg. You can find his skillset any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Given the choice between a small “just shooter” and an athlete and/or creator off the bounce, im going with the latter every time. Just has more utility on the court

I think JB will always have a reliable 4 year guy like Spike on the team. One who can control play with a quality A/TO ratio. I don’t think the staff want’s to scramble for future PG’s to replace the 1-2 year recruits. Spike, and guys like him, will be on the team helping to groom and support the next NBA caliber player. The bar has certainly been raised from Zach and Stu to the young men knocking on the door today.

Moving forward, I think the shooters will be in the 6-5 and up range.

I don’t see a need to go after Frankamp. I do tend to think that while an athlete good off the dribble has more general utility on the court in college basketball, Beilein’s system does pretty well getting utility out of shooters who stretch the floor even when they play off the bench.

I’d also pass. We need a creator to replace Caris.

Don’t see any particular need for a backup point guard at this point. We’ve got guys to fill that role.