Report from tonight's Jr.-Sr. Indiana All-Star Game (2nd Game) held in Tipton

Wednesday night they played once again. They play once at a southern Indiana site and once at a northern site. Tipton was Northern. Here are my notes and observations. It was an all-star game, for sure, but guys were competing.

• Zak Irvin looks like Mr. Basketball, the best player amongst some really great players. He started the game hitting 4 threes in the opening minutes. Smooth. He never tried to take over. He finished with 21 points and led a balanced attack for a talented all-star squad. He’s still thin, but looks a little more filled out than last year when I saw him play during the high school season. I think he’s going to be real nice. Big time talent. Could be a 6’7" guard in The League someday.

• Trevon Bluiett looked good. Solid. Nice shot but didn’t really light it up on this night. Played hard. Got some put backs. He doesn’t blow you away with his physicality and athleticism (similar to the thoughts in the other post about the all-star game the other night in Sullivan). But he’s good. Going to be a good college player.

• James Blackmon, Jr. (IU Hoosiers, 2014) was the most impressive player for the Junior squad. 26 points. He hit 3 three pointers to start the game. He and Irvin were kind of going back and forth. Kid is tough. A scorer. Shows very little emotion.

• Tyler Wideman is an interesting player. Big upper body and seems a legit 6’7". Only averaged 15 points last year the program said. Was pretty competitive tonight. Was more athletic than I expected him to be. Can get up quick and dunks easily for somewhat of a wide-body. He is, of course, a former teammate of Glenn Robinson III at Lake Central, who was in attendance (actually got a chance to shake his hand). Wideman took it at the bigger front line of the Senior squad.

• Notre Dame recruits Demetrius Jackson and V.J. Beachem looked great. At 6’7", Beachem looked like he could guard point guards.

• All the Senior Purdue and IU recruits looked fine, but nothing to really make you stand up and take notice (that I recall). Devin Davis (IU Hoosiers) did not play (injury).

Good stuff @wolv23

Very informative post. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear Wideman is coming along. I watched him at a couple AAU events last summer and he seemed disinterested. He is certainly talented and a big, strong kid, so maybe he’s figured it out.

Thanks for the post!

Yeah that was great. Thanks wolv!

I expected Wideman to play differently, based on things I heard/read. I was pleasantly surprised. I am just a fan. Not a seasoned talent evaluator. But he seems like a big ten player to me. And I must say, it is hard to be impartial in evaluating a Michigan commit! I just love watching Irvin. I hope he is as good as I feel he could be.