Redshirt Donnal?

I’m undecided.
Minutes will be hard to come by.
But do we give him 5 years?

Inevitable, unless both Horford and McGary are injured. He’s exactly the kind of player that will grow in the system and be a contributor down the road.

Yeah, I think it makes sense. What does he provide that Biefeldt doesn’t?

Personally, I feel like he would contribute a lot differently than Bielfeldt. Max seems like a horford and j-mo type of contributor (although, he doesn’t seem aggressive enough in my opinion). Where Mark is a strong shooter who happens to be really tall. Give him a little time to adapt and he’ll be a very versatile player i.e. exactly what Michigan loves in players

If he’s good enough to play, then he should definitely play…we have a strong pipeline of talent coming in now, so there’s no need to “save” him for a fifth year way down the line. I would much rather see him get as much game experience this year, so that he’s ready to step in as a significant contributor next year, when we may be a little thinner at the bigs. I look at the example of LaVert…we didn’t really NEED him last year, but would he have developed as much if he had been red-shirted? I’m not so sure that he would have.

I agree with BlueBasketeer.

Playing time is especially important for a “big” in adjusting to the college game.

Personally, I feel like he would contribute a lot differently than Bielfeldt. Max seems like a horford and j-mo type of contributor (although, he doesn't seem aggressive enough in my opinion). Where Mark is a strong shooter who happens to be really tall. Give him a little time to adapt and he'll be a very versatile player i.e. exactly what Michigan loves in players

The coaches talk like Max has really improved his jump shot. Bacari said he’s a “pick and pop” big man now.

I think Beilfeldt is a guy we’ll be glad to have next year and the year after McGary, Morgan, and then Horford are gone. Don’t think he’ll ever be a star, but I think he’ll continue to develop and be more of a Graham Brown type of guy…solid rebounder, defender and inside scorer, with the occasional jumper. Donnal has the potential to be more versatile, more like a cross between Beilfeldt and Smotrycz. Capable of banging inside, once he beefs up a bit, but maybe more comfortable stepping out and shooting threes.

Bielfeldt will be able to carve out time to play this year/next if he has an outside shot. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that he will necessarily do so, but it’s possible. He definitely goes hard on the boards, which would be nice in the future, but I think his playing time is tied to his outside shot.

I am coming to the belief that in basketball, you don’t redshirt a player unless you are sure that they will never be NBA quality. If a guy will likely be able to someday play in the league, then he won’t stay around for a fifth year. Donnal is 6’9" and can soot the 3 already. The NBA will always take a chance on a guy with size, especially if he can shoot (Tayshaun Prince). So, I would lean toward playing him now to get him experience.

I am pretty sure that Donnal will be redshirting. Not getting in the exhibition until 5 minutes left is telling. Im ok with it - b/c I think he could be valuable down the road…just too hard for him to get minutes this year.

Redshirt him. From what i’ve seen of him so far, playing him garbage minutes this year is not going to benefit his long term development. He could improve as he gets more practice like Levert did so you can always burn his RS later if he deserves it. RS is better for both parties IMO. And if a player isn’t a contributor after 4 years on campus, I have no problem with programs not offering a 5th year. But I don’t think it’ll come to that for Donnal