Preseason Expectations

Would be interesting to see the same chart for last year, how some of the prognosticators fared. With that said it can also be noted that none are really disrespecting Michigan.

Rebounding is going to have to be a team effort from Walton to Doyle. They’re going to have to scrap hard to rebound just well enough as to not get murdered on the glass. Hard work/ hustle can go a long way on post d/rebounding. Irvin improved late/ levert has always been solid for his size. Need Dawkins to improve greatly along with Doyle . There’s no Maxy calves to bail us out this year. He sometimes scrapped just enough to get the ball/ give us some post points too.

Another who could be key is chatman. I remember a few games in which he started to show some heart and hustle. I expect Wilson to be decent with his length and hops. ParticulArly on d. This team just needs to play with edge and attitude on the defensive side of the court and they can scrap just enough to hide our weakness.

If the chemistry is there as some noted before then look out, the offense will be a nightmare. With Dawkins levert and Irvin drawing attention Walton could get a lot of easy looks and really have a big year. I still wish coach b would put a line up out there of Walton maar levert Dawkins and say Wilson and really push the tempo. Press even. Walton and maar running out would be real fun to watch. Great speed, that fast break could be fun to watch. Try and speed the game up sometimes. Not his mo, but still could fit his personnel.

I truly have no win/loss total formulated.
My expectations are a well coached team that’s fun to watch, and is capable of winning any game they are in. A dangerous team to face off against in the NCAA Tourney, and a team built to succeed in the tournament environment.

I truly have no win/loss total formulated. My expectations are a well coached team that's fun to watch, and is capable of winning any game they are in. A dangerous team to face off against in the NCAA Tourney, and a team built to succeed in the tournament environment.

To me this is kind of a baseline for expectations. Play good basketball, enough good wins that the losses hurt and playing for something in March.

I truly have no win/loss total formulated. My expectations are a well coached team that's fun to watch, and is capable of winning any game they are in. A dangerous team to face off against in the NCAA Tourney, and a team built to succeed in the tournament environment.

To me this is kind of a baseline for expectations. Play good basketball, enough good wins that the losses hurt and playing for something in March.

True, but selfishly it allows me to enjoy the players and the games this season in a more satisfying manner. I’m confident the team is good but with so many questions and such a wide array of possible solutions, I’m content to watch it unfold.
I found it interesting when one of the assistants being interviewed by Sam Webb said something like, ‘the guys we feel give us the best opportunity to win in December may not be the guys who give us the best chance in March’. I would have liked to seen a follow up question, not that the coaches would or could provide a good answer.

So this thread was started way back in November. I kicked it off with the following prognostication:

NonCon record: 11-3
Conf record: 12-6
Tourney seed: 5
Tourney finish: S16
Final ranking: 16

How did everyone else do? Who came closest to actual results?

I think I had a pretty good grasp on this team.

Nice job predicting those injuries to LeVert and Spike.

Looks like you did MP! A tiny bit off on NCAA seed, but quite accurate on calling the bubble and the 2 B1G tourney wins.

1 Like

This team was average with those two players.

I knew spike wouldn’t be near 100% when I made that prediction anyways. He had double hip surgery!

Just accept it hail, you aren’t on my level of knowledge when it comes to basketball. When it comes to outdoor sports, I’ll defer to you.

1 Like

La-Tech > Michigan.
UT-Arlington > Michigan
Texas isn’t an NCAA Tournament team.

Those statements are almost as bad as your ability to stick to your “avoid engaging” guns.

That’s a hard hedge that even JB could be proud of.

“I predict mediocrity, but I could also see them being really good.”

Way to go out on a limb.

I predicted 19 regular season wins and at best an 8 seed?

If an 8 seed is “really good” to you, then we need not talk any more.

I thought we would be above average with Caris and Spike so my preseason expectation was off for sure. If I was asked about this team without Caris or Spike during the preseason I would have thought slightly below average and I think we were just an average team no better no worse. So my expectation was wrong in that regard.

You also said that you could see us winning the B10 and getting a top 4 seed. That’s a pretty big range.

I have no doubt that you would have patted yourself on the back if Michigan had won the B10 and been a 3 seed. Basically the only way you could have been wrong is if Michigan completely tanked the season. Again, it’s easy to be “correct” in your prediction when it has such a wide variance.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s how I think we need to look at these sort of predictions. If you told me Caris and Spike would miss half the season, I wouldn’t have expected or predicted 20+ wins and a tournament bid. It’s hard to incorporate injuries into predictions.

I clearly said I don’t expect it. I also called MAAR as our breakout player.

Again just accept it. I had a right take on this team and you and your partner weren’t close. You don’t have to hijack this thread also.

Want to make another cash bet since we pushed our last one? $200 says Beilein is the coach in 360 days.

Then why did you write it? Because you were hedging. I figured a basketball savant like yourself could be a little more precise in his predictions.

For instance, you were incredibly specific in predicting the level at which you thought Eric Davis should be playing.

Perhaps you should have said, “Eric Davis is a GLIAC player. Unless of course he excels at Texas, in which case he is a legitimate P5 player.”

1 Like

I can’t bat 1.000. I get a couple wrong every once in awhile. I’m waiting for you and hail to get one right.