Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

Hope the staff looks at Akeem Springs from Mliwaukee, grad transfer 13, 5 and 2. 6-3 guard.

Also big if but really hope if Juatin Jackson doesn’t end up at UNLV we at least make a run at him. Tough pull though since everyone we be in it.

1 Like

Did he decommit?

Not yet but sounds like on the fence, decision after the hoop summit.

Justin Jackson is a really nice player. For those interested, he (and guys like Danilo Djuricic) will be playing in the so-called All Canadian Game next Monday.

Or did he not commit?

As a Aubrey fan I’m upset but I really like jacksons film always have. I’d feel much better landing him. We were in on him before and with the openings this really would be a great fit for him. Coach b would be wise to press him.

If Justin Jackson was going to UNLV, he’s not someone JB will target. UNLV’s about as dirty of a school as you can get…

He was targeting him before

1 Like

Three years ago…

Wasn’t last summer?

Michigan was involved in the Justin Jackson recruitment back around 2012-2013. Not sure how involved they’d be if he opened it up now.

Yea long time ago. I thought we were talking about him last spring or summer on here. Sucks he’s exactly what they need.

The Martin twins are transferring from NC State. They just completed their sophomore years, but I read an article that said there is a remote possibility that they could graduate and play right away. Caleb Martin averaged 11.5 points and 4.7 rebounds per game while shooting 36% from 3 in a tough conference. Cody Martin averaged 6 and 4. They are both 6’7" and 215 lbs.

I only mention this because I was pretty impressed with Caleb Martin when we played them in December. I haven’t seen much of NC State outside of that game. I doubt we’d even look into them unless they can grad transfer, and even then, we probably wouldn’t want both.

Seriously? Of course, I don’t think he is sitting around doing nothing, but this is a results oriented business and JB has failed on the recruiting trail far too many times over the last three years. How they fill these new openings will be critical to the team’s success this year and possibly beyond. I don’t see why that is controversial or even elicited your response. Maybe you just have your rabbit ears up for anything that looks like a critique of JB.

“No more pussyfootin’ around” is just kind of. . . inapposite, in my view. Laziness, whatever it implies. . . miles off the mark. They’ve had some misses, they’ve had a lot of losses. They’ve also made some extraordinary finds. Three years ago we played for the NC. The next year we should have had McGary, lost two guys. This year we lost Caris and Spike. None of those are Beilein’s fault and we got to 23 wins, anyway. I’m real happy with the guy.

2 Likes

Wasn’t meant to imply laziness, but an antiquated and decreasingly effective recruiting philosophy. The prerequisites to an offer are just silly, particularly in light of the Josh Jackson recruitment. If you don’t believe that, then just look at the recruiting results after the NC run. Again, this has nothing to do with in season injuries, which every program goes through. This is about recruiting plain and simple.

1 Like

You guys need to get off the Josh Jackson thing. You would have to be blind not to see he would never end up at Mich. To many handlers and went to a questionable prep school that JB probably would never touch. As soon as that happen I figured it was whose next.

1 Like

I don’t believe his recruiting philosophy (with the prerequisites) is any less effective than it was when he recruited that national runner-up team. He just started recruiting more sought-after players and had to battle the Coach Ks and Caliparis of the world.

One could possibly say that JB doesn’t have a dynamic personality, and that hurts on the recruiting trail. I could probably buy that.

But his prerequisites to receive an offer are not the reasons why we lost Booker, Kennard, Thornton, Battle, et al. In fact, those players all “jumped through the hoops” to get a Michigan offer and either named us as the leader or had us in a small group of leaders after jumping through those hoops. I don’t think those recruitments would have ended differently if we had offered earlier.

3 Likes

Dunno, I’ve always loved his pressers, and been curious why they almost always get zero comments here. So much of the stuff people kvetch about in such reductive ways gets addressed directly and adroitly after games and in pressers.

1 Like