Postseason

Our NCAA tournament hopes are gone. We are fighting to get over 500 to get into the NIT. If we go under 500, what will our postseason look like?

I tend to think it’ll be NIT or bust, but I guess there’s a chance they play the CBI.

The tricky part for making the NIT is that U-M is still probably going to get the Weds bye in the BTT (have tiebreak over Minn/NEB, who both are a game back and have tough schedules) which means an 8-9 game and a potential loss – which would put U-M under .500 on the first day.

Hate to be a downer, but realistically it will be EXTREMELY difficult for this team to win another game. Let’s just finish out the season without another guy going down, and get ready for next year.

Hate to be a downer, but realistically it will be EXTREMELY difficult for this team to win another game. Let's just finish out the season without another guy going down, and get ready for next year.

We have Rutgers and Northwestern left, so I think we can win at least one. Gotta play like we did @MSU, @Indiana and @Illinois and not like home vs MSU and Iowa though. Can’t put in a half hearted effort.

This team should still beat Rutgers at home…

Reality is with the depleted roster, this team can have nothing less than B+ type effort in order to win against anyone. Just don’t have enough talent or experience on the floor. Simply put, there is very little margin for error with the current group. Almost have to play a perfect game relatively speaking.

Reality is with the depleted roster, this team can have nothing less than B+ type effort in order to win against anyone. Just don't have enough talent or experience on the floor. Simply put, there is very little margin for error with the current group. Almost have to play a perfect game relatively speaking.

Yes. And closing down the stretch of a game is what worries me. That 4 minute mark, you can’t let your offense dry up.

I tend to think it'll be NIT or bust, but I guess there's a chance they play the CBI.
What is the CBI? What are the chances we get into that? I think that we will lose vs Ohio st and Maryland, but win vs Rutgers and Northwestern putting us at 15-15 going into the BTT.
I tend to think it'll be NIT or bust, but I guess there's a chance they play the CBI.
What is the CBI? What are the chances we get into that? I think that we will lose vs Ohio st and Maryland, but win vs Rutgers and Northwestern putting us at 15-15 going into the BTT.

Michigan should get into the CBI, but there’s at least a chance it would turn it down. For example last year Indiana turned down the CBI, Penn State played in it.

Michigan should get into the CBI, but there’s at least a chance it would turn it down. For example last year Indiana turned down the CBI, Penn State played in it.

What’s the reason for turning it down? Travel costs? Get these freshman in as many games as possible

Well Indiana’s reason was: “Finances wouldn’t be an issue if we thought it made sense, but we’re Indiana, we don’t play in the CBI.”

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/03/17/joking-aside-indiana-makes-the-wrong-move-in-turning-down-the-cbi/#sthash.kIjmMDTt.dpuf

But it’s not just pure Indiana snobbery, Maryland, Marquette, Washington and UNLV all have turned down invites as well.

And FWIW, games are barely on TV with only a few of the later games aired by CBS Sports Network (including the best of three championship series).

Nothing wrong with Michigan taking it if it comes to that. They need all the game reps they can get.

FWIW I believe the University was or did (don’t recall specifics) turn down a CBI bid in 2010. Tourney has grown a little bit since then (at least some high-majors participating now), but something to consider.

Personally, I’d rather save the embarrassment like many of the other teams.
At that point…these guys have gone through some 31-32 games already over almost 5 months of ball. Plus they already had the Italy trip in the summer.

5-10 more days of basketball and playing unmotivated against weak competition isn’t that important in my opinion.

Per Beilein today… Michigan probably would’t play in the CBI, but would play in the NIT.