Podcast: Practice is underway at Michigan and Michigan State

Listen, I like Tim McCormack. I’ve been a fan since he was a high school player at Clarkston. I had the good fortune of seeing him play at Crisler. I believe LLP notwithstanding, he understands talent. He does get kind of exuberant at times about Michigan Basketball, but so do I. I like the guy, and I respect what he has done in the game.

By the way, Dylan, what is your assessment of these first several practices. Do you see in practice any evidence of our players having made strides during the off season? I think everyone on here trusts your judgement, so tell us what you think based on observation.

3 Likes

Dylan doesnt get to go to practice…

McCormick was a great HS player, a solid college player and a wonderful ambassador for the University.

But not realizing his great penchant for hyperbole and hype for players in the program ( past and present ) that he loves, is well rather …

1 Like

Obviously, if we were allowed into practice, I would share my thoughts. In the past, Beilein has let us in to a couple of hours of practice during the preseason at different points. I’d be surprised if that happens this year, but you never know.

My only point is that deciphering information at this point in the year depends quite a bit on who shares it. There’s nothing wrong with McCormick sharing his opinion, just trying to point out some context with which to think about what it should mean.

15 people could watch the same practice and come away with entirely different points of view based on who they are, what they thought coming into practice and what they feel comfortable sharing.

Oh, I recognize that he gets excited about Michigan and our basketball program. Guess what? I appreciate his positivity. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, if allowed to attend practice, 15 people could watch that practice and perhaps come away with a different assessment than Tim McCormick, but how many of us have Tim McCormick’s experience and expertise. How many of us have his wealth of knowledge and the variety of experiences he has had in basketball, at every level? How many of us have participated in practice at the high DI level? How many of us have actually run basketball practices or camps sponsored by the NBA with the high DI prospects, or any practice above junior high or high school JV, for that matter?

I don’t want to get into a silly argument about this but I happen to like Tim McCormick, I appreciate his expertise. I appreciate that he has access to the program. And I appreciate that I am able to read his comments here or anywhere. Thanks to BP3 and adamsmith86 for posting McCormick’s comments/tweets.

2 Likes

What do you think the starting lineup will be? Who will be the top subs?

Brooks has always been a practice standout, in fall of his frosh year from what was coming out it seemed like the coaches viewed him as the best player in 2017 um class. Last year beilein talked about how he was shooting the lights out in preseason practice. We’ll see if it finally transfers to games.

1 Like

Just because you were a good player and ambassador for the program doesn’t mean you are a reliable talent evaluator. Dick Vitale has coached in and watched more college basketball games than I could ever imagine. Doesn’t mean I am going to take his analysis as fact.

McCormick has a history of hyperbole. People are just pointing that out. I don’t see any disrespect toward him. We all love any any offseason content, regardless of how shallow, dependable, or useful it might be. But his opinion is just that - his opinion. People can take it or leave it. Like most offseason hype or concern, I usually wait til the season starts and evaluate from there.

Simpson
Wagner
Livers
Johns
Teske

At least that is the lineup that I think will be for the majority of the games this year.

2 Likes

I actually do believe that McCormick’s credentials help him to be a reliable talent evaluator, but, yes, he may be prone to being enthusiastic about Michigan Basketball and our players. I actually like that positivity. But, as I said, I don’t want to get into an argument about this. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on Tim McCormick.

1 Like

I feel like the lack of talk about Johns is a bad sign for his offseason improvement. Was always about motor for him, you’d think he’d pop out in practice if that was changing. More and more willing to bet that Eli is that 5th starter for most of the season atleast.

Respectfully, imo it feels kind of a wee bit early to take much stock in any news (or lack thereof) regarding any player in practice.

1 Like

I dunno, that’s the only info we’ve got trickling out. I for one welcome it. And that’s one very accomplished gentleman furnishing it, with a lot more claim to knowledge and hoop awareness than any of us. I’m a little surprised at the need to knock the guy down a peg. I don’t think anyone on this board is naive enough to assume that it all proves to be the case through the duration of a long season to come, but to me every bit of it is welcome.

I guess the internet is where we can belittle people, though. The great leveler.

EDIT: Four or five additional observations there since the last reported here. Perhaps people will find them sufficiently cautious. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Five questions facing Michigan hoops heading into 2019-20 season

From the article:

When it comes to differences, though, Rose said he anticipates there being more pick-and-more action and more dribble handoffs, while King said he thinks there will be a “healthy mix of establishing position in the post.” Earlier this summer when talking about college’s new 3-point line, Howard hinted there could be more post touches coming this season since the deeper arc will give Michigan’s big men more room to operate in the paint.

The question of who will play the 2 outweighs all the others. If we can find someone who can be a playmaker and also shoot 38-40% from 3, our ceiling definitely goes way up. Struggles at that position will equal struggles overall.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I was knocking him down a peg or belittling him? Just trying to point out that context is important with any preseason info and you should understand that as you digest it.

2 Likes

I have to disagree with this.

Literally, LLP is the only time he’s ever really overhyped a player. Of course that was a huge miss. But in general, if anything, he usually undersells Michigan in terms of predicting how they will finish in the Big Ten, etc. He’s an excellent analyst, and always very objective.

2 Likes