Podcast: On Juwan Howard, Michigan, and the fallout of an ugly scene at Wisconsin

I know the site server has a list of words that it won’t allow. Can we add the words Graham and Couch to that list?

2 Likes

I may be off here, but it’s one thing when a coach has an altercation with another coach. A whole other level when a coach has an altercation with a player. That’s an adult on a student. Two Wisconsin coaches physically initiated with two Michigan players, and even though that is not as readily apparent from the video, that is truly much more serious business.

I don’t think it’s unrelated that Wisconsin’s AD acted more decisively in the immediate aftermath. Michigan’s communication strategy and crises is not consistent - sometimes they clam up, sometimes they do the opposite. It’s very hard to come to any other conclusion than that they either don’t have a crisis plan (not good) or they don’t follow the plan that they have (also not good).

1 Like

What prevents anyone from doing anything inappropriate that they did before? Learning a lesson by recognition or punishment or any of the multitude of ways we all learn, mature and improve.

2 Likes

Maybe the better comparison would be Juwan Howard’s timeout when Michigan was beating Purdue 82-56 with 1:45 seconds left in the game last week.

That isn’t the same thing at all. That was a timeout just for subs (same as the Indiana game).

That’s completely normal and I think everyone does that.

5 Likes

No. Michigan used the timeout to sub in the bench guys. I think that’s what late timeouts are for. You want to give those guys a chance to play

2 Likes

I also am pretty sure that Wisconsin called a timeout to sub in the bench guys at :48. At least that’s what the box score lists.

No one is talking about that because it happens in every game.

1 Like

Incoming…

1 Like

Juwan Howard banned from pumping it up for a minimum of six months

5 Likes

Don’t you say “Pump it up!”

You can’t say “Pump it up!”

8 Likes

To add to this, in both of the referenced events the timeout caller gave the substitution signal to the ref to let them know he just wanted to get the scout team in and due to this there was no huddle up or anything from either side. “Thirty second timeout” obviously is what gets put on the box because they have to put something, but it wasn’t even that.

1 Like

Yeah that’s my bad. Fell victim to Twitter bait right before I caught up on this thread. Not comparable at all

1 Like

Yeah you can use a timeout late for just subs, which basically stops the game, have the subs check-in and resume play. If that was Gard’s intent that could have easily happened, but obviously the timeout got used for coaching.

One thing that stinks is Ant Wright’s commentary that accompanied his “context” tweet video is very misleading. I’m sorry. I don’t want it to be true but if you look closely Fauld’s is not being “pushed back” by the Wisconsin assistant. Fauld’s is being pulled back by Howard himself.

I say it stinks because it shifts even more responsibility onto Howard. The narrative that Juwan was provoked as a result of Fauld’s getting pushed back by the assistant is not true. Look closely.

I hate to say it but it could be interpreted that Juwan was pulling Fauld’s back to get at the assistant. He kind of does it in one motion.

Your takes on this matter do not match your username. You should have to change it :rofl:

1 Like

My username has nothing to do with my interactions with people on this forum and everything to do with a defining moment which ushered in a new era of Michigan basketball. I do not desire to shut anyone up on this forum. I am only concerned with the truth. If you look closely at Ant Wright’s context video I am confident you will realize what I am saying is true.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

I am inclined to give Howard a second chance. I am not confident at all that he will escape getting fired.

I desire to shut Ernie up. I will not rest until he is silent

2 Likes

I get your point, but if that is the case then he should have either apologized profusely or not had a press conference at all until he could wait a day to calm down and realize the gravity of the situation. He was still so heated after the game that I don’t think he understood what he unleashed.

Apologies to the forum and Ant Wright. Juwan did pull back Fauld’s but Fauld’s was pulled/ pushed back a second time. I was wrong.

Is this real? They need to get out something soon, but is it going to be a 8pm release?