Podcast: On Juwan Howard, Michigan, and the fallout of an ugly scene at Wisconsin

Thatā€™s an unreasonable expectation coming off a situation like that when you donā€™t know much of what happened at the moment. He described what was in his head at the time, in response to the question that was asked.

In fact his response (in nature) was exactly the same as Gardā€™s. ā€œThis is what happened during the lineup, the film speaks for itself.ā€
No reference to his players, his staff or how he could have acted differently.

Yet the only person that had gotten grief for his lack of compelling performance at a press conference, held 15 minutes or so after a beat down and melee, is Howard.

6 Likes

I thought Sethā€™s piece at MGoBlog was pretty decent today. Lots of blame to go around and lots of adults not acting like adults. But Juwan is the one who took it over the top. I will be very upset if Wisconsin doesnā€™t have suspensions but regardless, this is a Juwan story. There were so many opportunities to diffuse this situation. I canā€™t defend Juwan and every Wisconsin fan that came up to me at work today I just had to shake my head and admit that Juwan was totally in the wrongā€¦even if their coaches and players threw gas on the fire too.

I donā€™t want to hear about the timeout though. We were pressing full court. You canā€™t be mad about the timeout. It isnā€™t like we backed off and they ran an alleyoop play. This reeks of baseball unwritten rules where someone stole a base with a big lead, so he gets drilled by a pitcher, but then the other team doesnā€™t like him getting drilled so they throw at someoneā€¦and it never ends. Stupid and immature.

1 Like