On ball screens, Jordan Poole, Michigan's offense and the future

Great article.

I don’t know if Coach Beilein breaks out the “step back U” stuff if he didn’t know Poole was long gone.

Livers should be preparing himself to attack closeout this coming season. Opportunities should be a plenty.
I’m confident M will find 4 players to orbit around Simpson and Teske, with Castleton spelling Teske.

2 Likes

0:49

2 Likes

So I had it backwards about how it developed but yes this is it! Thank you!!

Once again, Dylan, the voice of reason and leveling the discussion! Best board in college hoops!!!

I wish JP well and loved the kids swag! Advice for the next level…catch the ball, shoot the ball! JB coaches CULTURE AND TEAM, TEAM ,TEAM! Not everyone fits and that’s OK. Maybe Bowen Skewed his perpsective, we’ll never know!

NEXT!!

Go Blue!

2 Likes

Good call, I’m gonna blame it on Jaren Jackson

2 Likes

If we go Dylan’s route, I project brooks makes a big step forward. I think letting dejulius play backup to Simpson and showing brooks all the catch and shoots he should have taken this year give him clarity and we see him take and make threes at a high rate from the off guard spot.

2 Likes

I think one major downside of Poole not returning is that he won’t be competing with Isaiah Livers over the summer, and helping him become a better shooter. Hopefully, Livers will be self-motivated enough to put in the work and make another leap as a shooter!

Great article, Dylan. I especially appreciated the contrast in “buy-in” between Iggy and Jordan. Both very likely see themselves as needing significant usage to maximize their potentials, but I think there is some distinction in their games that explains Jordan’s concerns with how he should get his usage going forward (i.e. just how ball-dominant Jordan sees himself being) that Iggy simply didn’t have.

Does any one even know if Pierce was actually offered after his visit? I still think Quinones and Wagner should be the top two options.

Anyone else think that Isaiah Livers could be in for a breakout year where he ends up being drafted in 2020?

5 Likes

He (Pierce) was offered. And as noted elsewhere, it looks like Quinones may no longer be an option at all.

Quinones still visiting on Monday. I won’t give up till it’s official.

Iggy was a great locker room guy from everything i have heard and read. For his brash confidence, he played the role he was asked to play and was a “team” player. JB brought this up once in a while during the season. Again, just based on his personality, I had a concern about Iggy at first about his team play and where he is focused. He was what JB wanted. It is why I hoped he would return.

3 Likes

Just a couple of caveats–Poole didn’t make, probably, a key four or five. But that’s a view from the Michigan side. Making them doesn’t solve Poole’s problems for next year (and probably doesn’t indicate whether he’s an NBA-caliber player or not). The decision from he and his family was, apparently, that they were already gone.

Between an increasing desperation to prove himself–taking some wild shots–and the creeping negativity from outside. . . I get how this starts to feel unpleasant for a nineteen-year-old.

In truth, though, Jordan remained quite pleasant about things, even if his dad spouted off a little.

I remember all of us raging sometimes at Irvin’s missed shots; MAAR, too. Our view of whether some players succeeded or not remains subjective at times. I thought this article did a balanced and succinct job. Pretty close to defining. I sometimes find Dylan’s pieces a bit drier on the human interest end, which is where my own interests tend to lie. But I thought he parsed this one from end to end.

4 Likes

Agreed, but there’s already an imbalance of writers out there who do exclusively puff pieces and I’m certain we’ll see more of those surface if he establishes himself in the NBA.

1 Like