Off Topic: 2019 Michigan Football

Hayes did well filling in for Runyan.

However, I am a bit worried that all the hype the OLine had during the offseason was due to going against a weak DLine. And any hype the DLine generated may have perhaps been due to going against a slightly overrated OLine.

No issues talking about football here, but please keep it civil. Removed Oberon from the conversation, which should help things. Sorry about the delay, wasn’t around the board all of the time over the holiday.

7 Likes

I hope you’re right about Jeter – no idea since he has no track record. Definitely Dwumfour should help on passing downs, and hopefully all downs. We’ve got to get pressure. The unbalanced line with the big gap didn’t seem to work. It’s definitely cause for concern that neither line was able to blow MTSU off the LOS. You’re supposed to be able to do that with ease in these kinds of games, especially well into the third quarter when they couldn’t get push on that 4th-and-goal.

The hype the OL was getting was due to last year, not practice. Four returning starters, all of them making an all Big Ten team, will do that.

3 Likes

Charbonnet looks like the best thing we’ve had at tailback in quite some time. I believe the same can be said for McCaffrey at quarterback. There are some really nice pieces on this offense. You see what Clemson and Oklahoma are doing out there. Why not us? Score the points.

1 Like

Looking ahead, here’s how our opponents fared in week 1:
Army - Won 14-7 against Rice - not sure why we schedule service academies. Just give me a W with no injuries
Wisconsin - Won 49-0 against USF - looked alot better than I thought coming into the season.
Rutgers - Beat UMASS 48-21, breaking their 11 game losing streak that went back to their 2018 opener
Iowa - looked rough early against Miami (OH) but pulled away in the end. Think they’re going to be their usual selves, solid but unspectacular and a pain in our butt
Illinois - disposed of Akron pretty easily. Former UM Qb Peters looked ok. I think they should start 3-0
PSU - destroyed FCS Idaho. Never took their foot off the pedal. Better test with Buffalo - solid MAC team - coming up this weekend
Notre Dame - up and down performance against Louisville last night. Won, but didn’t really answer their concerns coming in. But should be the second best team Michigan plays this year.
Maryland - destroyed an FCS team in Howard. Play Syracuse this weekend in what could be a big win for them, but I think the Orangemen win it
MSU - defense looks great, as expected. If a team can get to 20 on them, they have a great chance at winning because that offense looked bad.
Indiana - Beat Ball St by 10 with a freshman Qb. Gonna be tough to get to a bowl game for them
OSU - Fields looked very good and OSU pulled away early and then took their foot off the pedal. Much like our game, the score didn’t indicate the dominance IMO. Best team we play every year and doesn’t look like it’ll be difference this season

2 Likes

I’m guessing Oberon won’t be reading this, but this was really good from Nick Baumgardner on Michigan’s offense if you have an Athletic subscription.

3 Likes

Don’t do it man, hang in there! Lots of great hoops drama this year. These kids can ball, just a player or two away!

1 Like

This game has been a catastrophe

1 Like

could’ve been worse

1 Like

I think I’d like to face next week’s opponent for the remainder of the season.

4 Likes

Speed in space? Egg on Face.

3 Likes

Never schedule service academies. It’s like playing an early JB team with their pace, except the pace is exacerbated in football. Shortened game, mistakes by the favorite and all of the sudden it’s a toss up.

I said in the summer that all I cared about was winning the game and avoiding significant injuries. Mission accomplished. Now let’s forget it ever happened and never schedule them, Navy or Air Force ever agin.

5 Likes

Love scheduling the academies. Triple option is pretty to watch

2 Likes

Maybe in 1960

1 Like

Still undefeated!

2 Likes

You don’t enjoy watching that offense?

Not at all. I hate watching the service academies and only do so when my team is playing them or it’s the only game on.

Hmm. Fair enough

Very difficult to feel positive about the short term and the long term.

1 Like