NBA Summer League 2021 Open Thread

I know there was talk about Doumbouya earlier this little tidbit was interesting. Sekou is only 10 months older than Franz.

Franz is younger than a lot of freshman as well so thats pretty wild.

1 Like

Kuminga is enormous. Wagner looks tiny next to him.

1 Like

Yeah if Kuminga can figure out how to play heā€™s going to be a terror.

2 Likes
11 Likes

Anybody watch the Magic game? Howā€™d Franz look? Seeing negative rumblings on Twitter that I assume are overreactions

Looked a bit timid and his shot wasnā€™t on at all. Had some tough deals on defense where Kuminga drove wildly and got the foul call. Pretty sure he was playing the 5 by the end and probably couldnā€™t find his role.

5 Likes

Franz isnā€™t really the kind of guys thatā€™s gonna pop in SL

7 Likes

Thought Franz had some good defensive possessions early in the game. Had some tough ones later. Shot not falling (need him to hit some and build confidence).

I think overall he played pretty badly. Itā€™s ok, itā€™s a summer league game, his career isnā€™t over. If you want to be a glutton for punishment you kind find the clip where Kuminga disposed of him like he was a rag doll.

Honestly, I really hated how Suggs played. 24 points on 22 shots to 1 assist for your ā€œpoint guardā€ isnā€™t what you want.

Ignas played well - really the only Wolverine who did tonight (Teske sort a blank, Matthews and Smith literally blanks).

1 Like

Anthony was much worse. 1-9 on a lot of forced shots.

2 Likes

Yeah - but I donā€™t think anyone was looking at Anthony as a potential starting PG.

My issue wasnt really that Suggs was bad - just my continued belief that heā€™s not wired as a PG and never will be (a brief Iā€™ve had well prior to tonight) - and heā€™s not a scorer in the realm of Green.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait for Pistons vs Rockets tonight so I can predict an NBA title for Detroit within 5 years if Cade outplays Green or remind everyone itā€™s just summer league if Green has the better game.

8 Likes

He needs a shooting coach. Something really off looking with his shot.

1 Like

Chip Engelland

1 Like

Not sure if this has been mentioned (havenā€™t really been following summer league) but Jordan Poole and Derrick Walton Jr. wonā€™t participate.

5 Likes

Not surprising with Poole - very few guys go after their second year - at least not rotation players.

Walton, I assume its a white flag on making the NBA anytime soon (probably sensible, was surprised to see him on an initial roster).

Good games from Green and Cunningham. Green got stopped a bit with traps and stuff but still managed a hyper-efficient night. Cade shot much better.

Sengun was really impressive I thought, admittedly the Pistons didnā€™t have a true big often.

Garza is still very Luka Garza.

Wonā€™t be popular here, but Josh Christopher had a ton of juice off the bounce.

I think Killian Hayes may just be really bad.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not a huge Killian Hayes guy but I think itā€™s important to remember heā€™s a matter of months older than Cade. He was always a project

1 Like
1 Like