National voices weigh in on Juwan Howard hire

“NBA guys going to coach college teams” is so broad a category that it’s meaningless anyways. How many years in the NBA? Have you been out of basketball or in some media or non-coaching role previously? Were you an assistant somewhere first? Having read Jeff Goodman’s piece yesterday I would have thought he might have realized this himself halfway through writing it.

3 Likes

It’s a very lazy take to say “X NBA player” failed as a head coach so he probably will too. It’s just as likely hiring a mid major or high major coach who isn’t prepared for the jump up to a bigger program will fail. Coaches fail. That’s what they do. There’s a reason there is only one Coach K, Izzo, etc. instead, you need to look at the individual coach and try to assess whether his unique attributes will set him up for success.

Juwan isn’t Drexler or Mullin any more than he isn’t Coach K. You can be skeptical because its a lot of unknown. But to speak confidently that he will probably fail because he came from the NBA is just a lazy take.

5 Likes

I could just like it, but want to especially highlight this post. Really well said.

The narratives about ex-NBA players failing as college coaches really bothers me. Each case and program is different and it comes down to this – can the guy coach and run a program? It matters zero (I guess a little bit for recruiting) that the old Fab Five guys, LeBron, Wade, etc. like Juwan and endorsed him for the job. Juwan will have success if he is a good coach – that’s it.

2 Likes

I’m shocked that clown David Jones doesn’t like Michigan’s hire.

I blame Joe Franklin and Howard Stern.

1 Like
1 Like

Nice essay Silver Blue. Us M people from the 1960s need to stick together right. Maybe Dylan will give you a gig.

3 Likes