My thoughts on the Duke game

Just a quick disclaimer: I’ve never posted on this forum, and for all I know I could be saying a bunch of B.S. However, here are my thoughts:

1. Why didn’t we try a 3-2 zone? I mean just see what it does. We weren’t getting in foul trouble and it’s obvious we can’t keep up with their screens and half the time the guy is wide open. I will say if they didn’t double team players so often and leave their man I guarantee it would’ve been different scenario. Mitch can draw a charge, why not just see if maybe we can get Jabari in a little foul trouble. We are also bigger than them, so 2 in the paint doesn’t hurt us.

2. MITCH, PLAY LIKE A BIG MAN. I saw him settle for jumpers. Jumpers. Mitch is the biggest guy on the court and all night their paint defenders were in foul trouble. EASY BUCKETS NOT TAKEN. Mitch had a lot of rebounds, but certainly not as many as he could’ve had. He allowed too many offensive rebounds for no reason. He can box Jabari out, he can box anyone out. Secondly, when he was in the paint I saw him settle for bad shots. He’s got 2 guys on him, make the extra pass. One time I saw him fade away.

3.Mitch, you’re not the point guard of the team. How many times did we see him run the ball up the court? It wasn’t even a fastbreak it was just a regular half-court set. He’s going to cause turnovers. Also, now the PG has to focus on getting the ball instead of actually look at the defense and seeing who’s open.

1. Rotation, rotation, rotation. Too many open layups that could’ve been contested. Sure, Jabari might make the crazy layup but not too many players will make the easy layup as long as they just put a hand in their face.

5.Stop putting out deadweight. Stauskas had a really bad game; we have depth. Zak Irvin had 24 the other game, he can shoot the 3 and fill in for Nik. Why did he not play much? You can make the argument “He’s unexperienced”, but if Nik is essentially useless, why not just try?

I will say this though: we are really young. In today’s era of college, sophomores seem like seniors.

Those are just my opinions, obviously I’m not the coach of Michigan so maybe there were reasons but I just don’t see them from my perspective. I understand that we are not favorites to win this, but lets put up a fight and see what happens. Now that we have 3 losses, big things need to happen.

P.S I officially hate Dick Vitale after this game.

gonna have to roll with stauskas. he’s gonna have to lead team in scoring more often than not this season for M to have success, i think. he’s hurt, and K obviously schemed him out of the game. k knows what’s up, (real recognize real). apparently ‘stauskas’ was the most commonly spoken word at duke’s practice yesterday.

mitch gonna have to diversify offensive game this year. he supposedly had the range according to hs recruiting scoops. he’s never gonna be a good back-to-basket player. it’s not his game, and it’s not beilein’s style. but he can be versatile and effective. gonna have to board harder, though. for m to have any shot in this game, was gonna have to get offensive rebound rate somewhere north of 40%, and most of that would have to likely come from mcgary. didn’t happen, and it’s disappointing, but he, and the team in general has a lot of room to improve, and i’m confident beilein will get them there.

Just a quick disclaimer: I've never posted on this forum, and for all I know I could be saying a bunch of B.S. However, here are my thoughts:
  1. Why didn’t we try a 3-2 zone? I mean just see what it does. We weren’t getting in foul trouble and it’s obvious we can’t keep up with their screens and half the time the guy is wide open. I will say if they didn’t double team players so often and leave their man I guarantee it would’ve been different scenario. Mitch can draw a charge, why not just see if maybe we can get Jabari in a little foul trouble. We are also bigger than them, so 2 in the paint doesn’t hurt us.

2. MITCH, PLAY LIKE A BIG MAN. I saw him settle for jumpers. Jumpers. Mitch is the biggest guy on the court and all night their paint defenders were in foul trouble. EASY BUCKETS NOT TAKEN. Mitch had a lot of rebounds, but certainly not as many as he could’ve had. He allowed too many offensive rebounds for no reason. He can box Jabari out, he can box anyone out. Secondly, when he was in the paint I saw him settle for bad shots. He’s got 2 guys on him, make the extra pass. One time I saw him fade away.

3.Mitch, you’re not the point guard of the team. How many times did we see him run the ball up the court? It wasn’t even a fastbreak it was just a regular half-court set. He’s going to cause turnovers. Also, now the PG has to focus on getting the ball instead of actually look at the defense and seeing who’s open.

1. Rotation, rotation, rotation. Too many open layups that could’ve been contested. Sure, Jabari might make the crazy layup but not too many players will make the easy layup as long as they just put a hand in their face.

5.Stop putting out deadweight. Stauskas had a really bad game; we have depth. Zak Irvin had 24 the other game, he can shoot the 3 and fill in for Nik. Why did he not play much? You can make the argument “He’s unexperienced”, but if Nik is essentially useless, why not just try?

I will say this though: we are really young. In today’s era of college, sophomores seem like seniors.

Those are just my opinions, obviously I’m not the coach of Michigan so maybe there were reasons but I just don’t see them from my perspective. I understand that we are not favorites to win this, but lets put up a fight and see what happens. Now that we have 3 losses, big things need to happen.

Your thoughts are very much on point, IMO. I was glad to see Stauskas play until I saw him play. Didn't have it. Yes, our help defense was late. And, yes, we didn't get Mitch the ball enough in the paint - especially, as you say, with Duke in foul trouble.

In Coach B’s defense, Duke is not a team you run zone against, they shoot the ball too well. The reality is, we are simply a bad defensive team. We need to apply more ball pressure. I think Walton is the only decent perimeter defender we have. Caris leaves a lot to be desired in that area in my opinion.

In Coach B's defense, Duke is not a team you run zone against, they shoot the ball too well. The reality is, we are simply a bad defensive team. We need to apply more ball pressure. I think Walton is the only decent perimeter defender we have. Caris leaves a lot to be desired in that area in my opinion.

I was impressed by Walton’s defense on Cook tonight. Cook scored 10 of his 24 at the line and a good portion came on uncontested 3s due to us playing a zone.

Just a quick disclaimer: I've never posted on this forum, and for all I know I could be saying a bunch of B.S. However, here are my thoughts:

1. Disagree. meh - I don’t mind playing them man-to-man. they’re an offensive team that is top 10 in FG%.

2. Agree. I’d like to see him be more assertive in the post as well.

3. Disagree. When he runs with the ball it often leads to good things. A big man that can lead the transition is great. Quick offense. I like it. It comes with it’s lumps but overall I think it’s a good thing.

4. Agree. Poor rotation…defense breaks down…easy buckets

5. Agree/Disagree. Stauskas is our best player right now. Keep him out there as much as possible and hope he gets things going. I would have liked to see Levert at PG + Stauskas, Irvin, and GR3 at the wing spots.

In Coach B's defense, Duke is not a team you run zone against, they shoot the ball too well. The reality is, we are simply a bad defensive team. We need to apply more ball pressure. I think Walton is the only decent perimeter defender we have. Caris leaves a lot to be desired in that area in my opinion.

I was impressed by Walton’s defense on Cook tonight. Cook scored 10 of his 24 at the line and a good portion came on uncontested 3s due to us playing a zone.

Couldn’t agree more, it is Caris that is a liability on defense. His screen and roll defense and close outs leave a lot to be desired. I really thought his missed layup and failure to close on Dawkins for 2 consecutive 3s was the nail in the coffin. That’s why I don’t buy into the “he had the tools/length” argument, defense is about sustained energy/effort and attention to detail and making multiple efforts. Our players, save Mitch, consistently fail in all 3 areas.

Cook beat Walton off the dribble numerous times.

Can we also acknowledge that GR3 played excellent defense on Parker? 15 points on 14 shots and many of those were on transition. Robinson played Parker better than anyone all year which is great. He just needs to work on the other side of the ball.

^^
I acknowledged that in my thread. I thought GR3 did a fantastic job on Parker all night. Parker has great size and shooting but his ball handling is limited.

GRIII did a good job with Parker.

Have to disagree, just watched the game on DVR and didn’t notice Walton get beat by Cook even once.

Levert on the other hand, man was he awful. Hood and Parker both beat him several times on straight line drives. He lost track of Hood off ball for scores. He didn’t fight to get through screens to let Dawkins hit threes. He was by far the worst defensive player on the floor for UM

Happens when the help doesn’t come, people aren’t rotating in time and you are shouldering the offensive load. I pray we consider redefining roles, getting Irvin more minutes at the expense of one of Morgan/ Spike/ Horford. We need another shooter on offense. We went from 3 elite shooters in the starting lineup last year to just one. The length would hel[ if you compare him to say Spike… His skillset is less redundant.

Have to disagree, just watched the game on DVR and didn’t notice Walton get beat by Cook even once.

Levert on the other hand, man was he awful. Hood and Parker both beat him several times on straight line drives. He lost track of Hood off ball for scores. He didn’t fight to get through screens to let Dawkins hit threes. He was by far the worst defensive player on the floor for UM