Miles Bridges to Visit Campus Today

If Miles Bridges committed today would Michigan accept it? The only reason I ask that is they are full at 13 for next year. The same goes for Winston as well.

If Miles Bridges committed today would Michigan accept it? The only reason I ask that is they are full at 13 for next year. The same goes for Winston as well.

Yes.

Because of the potential for reclassification?

Re-classification opens 1 spot. They can’t get the second spot without attrition.

Dylan, do you know something, or are you simply reasoning that they wouldn’t have given an uncommittable offer?

Yes.

So they would take Winston as well and be at 15?

I think that Beilein and co are gonna recruit with some attrition in mind. They’ve talked recently about how it’s difficult to do that and how they don’t usually think about it.

But it seems like they’ve been burned too much not to account for it anymore.

We’re dealing with hypotheticals here obviously because Bridges and Winston are both planning on taking plenty of officials.

The reclassification is one option as is planning ahead for attrition. Here’s what Michigan’s scholarship picture looked like in November of 2013 (i.e. oversigned by 1).

There were some obvious candidates there, but I think you have to just plan, or at least prepare, for attrition.

Presuming that’s the case, and given they oversigned by one in 2013, what do you make of the rumor that we turned Langford away due to lack of room?

A very good question although perhaps Langford didn’t seem like a priority after we got Battle. This whole situation is very confusing.

Could either of the other two 2016 signees theoretically reclassify also? Does anyone know if Bridges has an offer now? Also, is the general consensus that he’s likely a one-and-done?

A very good question although perhaps Langford didn't seem like a priority after we got Battle. This whole situation is very confusing.

Could either of the other two 2016 signees theoretically reclassify also? Does anyone know if Bridges has an offer now? Also, is the general consensus that he’s likely a one-and-done?

He does have an offer

Bridges could certainly play on the wing here that's not what I meant at all. Just his style of play is very much athletic and physical than it is shooting or skill.

In a lot of ways he’d be a perfect four here because he can get it done defensively against about anyone and has improved his skillset quite a bit to play on the offensive end.

It would be a crime to play Bridges at the 4.

Bridges could certainly play on the wing here that's not what I meant at all. Just his style of play is very much athletic and physical than it is shooting or skill.

In a lot of ways he’d be a perfect four here because he can get it done defensively against about anyone and has improved his skillset quite a bit to play on the offensive end.

It would be a crime to play Bridges at the 4.

Why? I actually think he’d make the perfect 4. He’s built more for it than anyone we’ve played there so far. Lefty, strong, likes physical play, will go for rebounds. Headache to guard by opposing 4’s but he could hold his ground in the post defensively than any 4 we’ve used so far.

Perimeter based 4 - even the NBA is going that direction.

I agree, relative to our personnel, he seems like he would be the best at guarding opposing power forwards. He seems to have a very strong lower body.

Defensively, if the match-up calls for it, sure, have him guard their 4, but offensively, no way. IMO it would be a huge mistake to play him in that role.

You might as well call the 4 spot in JB’s offense, Mr Irrelevant. Bridges is a potential one and done, you use him at the 2 and you put the ball in his hands with the entire half court to work with as much as possible.

You do not work him into the offense which is what would happen if he played the 4. You work the offense around him. He’s that good.

I love Bridges’ game, but I don’t think he’s someone you design a whole offense around. Just not really that sort of player.

For example, if you have Cassius Winston and Miles Bridges on the same team then you run the offense around Cassius, but Bridges still might end up the leading scorer and rebounder.

Not to mention, as a lefty the four would be the natural wing position for Bridges to play anyway.

I love Bridges' game, but I don't think he's someone you design a whole offense around. Just not really that sort of player.

For example, if you have Cassius Winston and Miles Bridges on the same team then you run the offense around Cassius, but Bridges still might end up the leading scorer and rebounder.

Not to mention, as a lefty the four would be the natural wing position for Bridges to play anyway.

I respectively disagree even if we have Cassius. I know I’m in the minority, but by the time Cassius is ready to be the man, Bridges will already be in the league.

Bridges doesn’t look to have even close to the handle to fully build an effective offense around him as a freshman.

I understand what you’re saying, but there are plenty of guys that go one-and-done that don’t have an offense built around them. That’s not really a knock. And truth be told those same people can have more influence on a game than the person who the offense is built around.

Much like the offense ran through Trey and then Nik, if we land Bridges, he needs to be the guy with the ball in his hands when it matters. Playing him at the 4 would take the offense away from the best player on the team. I’ll be shocked and disappointed IF that’s how JB chooses to use him.

Then again, we are all getting way ahead of ourselves. We aren’t landing him…

Much like the offense ran through Trey and then Nik, if we land Bridges, he needs to be the guy with the ball in his hands when it matters. Playing him at the 4 would take the offense away from the best player on the team. I'll be shocked and disappointed IF that's how JB chooses to use him.

Then again, we are all getting way ahead of ourselves. We aren’t landing him…

I would think Beilein could find ways to get him the ball in scoring opportunities.
The reason you DIDNT see that before was because of guys like Trey, Tim, Nik, Caris, etc.

But at this point, not a lot of playmakers or guys that can attack the hoop on the roster. I believe he’d find a way.