Michigan vs. 1989 Illinois

This discussion was created from comments split from: Just spoke to Duncan Robinson.

The versatility in future lineups from two to four is mind-boggling. Almost like that '89 Illinois team, every part is interchangeable. I like the notion of Beilein having more chess pieces than other people.

The versatility in future lineups from two to four is mind-boggling. Almost like that '89 Illinois team, every part is interchangeable. I like the notion of Beilein having more chess pieces than other people.

Gill, Bardo, Anderson, Battle, and Liberty? We have NO ONE on this roster with that athleticism and talent. They may eventually be interchangeable, but not to that level, IMO.

Gill, Bardo, Anderson, Battle, and Liberty? We have NO ONE on this roster with that athleticism and talent. They may eventually be interchangeable, but not to that level, IMO.

We have no one with that talent? You’re off your rocker.

But, no, I was only comparing interchangeability, not athleticism or talent or high fades.

(Also, I said “almost” like)

That team pounded the 89 National Champions twice in the regular season, but than Sean Higgins validated his scholly in the only meeting I care to remember.

You serious? Bardo and Liberty were both 2nd round picks. LeVert is almost1st round lock and I think at least 1 of Walton, Irvin, and Chatman will end up a 1st round pick also.

Man, nostalgia really blinds some people. To say that NO ONE one our team had comparable talent is ridiculous. LeVert might be a lottery pick, but would struggle for minutes on other NCAA teams? Come on, man.

I disagree. I will match your Gill with Levert, Bardo with Kam Chatman, Anderson with Irvin, Liberty with DJ Wilson and Kenny Battle with Aubrey Dawkins. I actually like our group if the Comparisons are made when all were Freshmen and Sophomores with only Anderson and Liberty given the edge at that point of time in their careers IMO.

I disagree. I will match your Gill with Levert, Bardo with Kam Chatman, Anderson with Irvin, Liberty with DJ Wilson and Kenny Battle with Aubrey Dawkins. I actually like our group if the Comparisons are made when all were Freshmen and Sophomores with only Anderson and Liberty given the edge at that point of time in their careers IMO.

Let’s let Wilson, Chatman, and Dawkins play a game before you anoint them. That Illinni team was one of the most athletic in college history, and crushed the eventual National Champions two out of three times by double digits. Dawkins with Kenny Battle? Ridiculous. Irvin with Nick Anderson? Seriously. Irvin couldn’t defend the water bottle.

The versatility in future lineups from two to four is mind-boggling. Almost like that '89 Illinois team, every part is interchangeable

. I like the notion of Beilein having more chess pieces than other people.

You serious? Bardo and Liberty were both 2nd round picks. LeVert is almost1st round lock and I think at least 1 of Walton, Irvin, and Chatman will end up a 1st round pick also.

Man, nostalgia really blinds some people. To say that NO ONE one our team had comparable talent is ridiculous. LeVert might be a lottery pick, but would struggle for minutes on other NCAA teams? Come on, man.

Freshman LeVert would have gotten 0-3 minutes a game on that Illini team. Sophomore LeVert could have possibly been a rotation player. Is a Levert a lottery pick in your opinion? I’ll wait and see on that declaration. As long as we’re being nostalgic, the 89 UM National Champions had 7 Players on it that eventually played in the NBA, and they were crushed by this Illini team twice by double digits. As a court side observer to those two games I feel VERY comfortable saying we have NO ONE with that athleticism on our roster.

Let’s let Wilson, Chatman, and Dawkins play a game before you anoint them. That Illinni team was one of the most athletic in college history, and crushed the eventual National Champions two out of three times by double digits. Dawkins with Kenny Battle? Ridiculous. Irvin with Nick Anderson? Seriously. Irvin couldn’t defend the water bottle.

Sorry Lowell Hamilton, don’t know how I overlooked an Illinois HS legend who averaged 14 points a game on this same team. Another superb athletic performer.

Thats my point. You didnt have a problem saying they CAN’T Matchup/Compare before ever seeing them play, whats the difference? Truth be told, both of our opinions/statements are just that, an opinion and speculation. We do not know what they will look like once out on that floor, so how about we both let them play and be allowed the same two to five seasons the named Illini players were afforded before making such statements. Kenny Battle transferred to Illinois after a two year stint at Northern Illinois and sat out a year so he had been a college player 3 yrs before suiting up for the Flying Illini, I would like to think after 3 seasons under the tutelage of Beilein and Sanderson, Dawkins should indeed be able to match the Athleticism and talent of Battle. I gave Nick Anderson the Edge in comparison. But to go back to your original Statement, You said NO ONE on our roster can match the athleticism and talent of the named Illini players, and again I still disagree.

In what universe does anyone see Chatman and Irvin as above average athletic specimens? I’m comparing THIS roster as it exists NOW. We have NO ONE (including Caris) who can compare to that 89 Illinois team as it existed THEN. We are woefully short on explosive athletes, lateral quicks, and physical gifted defenders capable of guarding multiple positions. Not to mention the glaring verticality issues that spawned “The Flying Illini” moniker. We are who we are today, does that mean we can’t succeed? Of course not. But we are not in that league with this roster, nor do I see a plethora of physically gifted athletes waiting to emerge as they develop, IMO.

Well in the Future how about you pick up on key words before stirring a Debate. Lets try to put those key words in Bold Letters. “The VERSATILITY in (FUTURE LINEUPS) from two to four is mind-boggling. (ALMOST LIKE) that '89 Illinois team.” "I actually like our group IF THE COMPARISONS ARE MADE (WHEN ALL WERE FRESHMEN AND SOPHOMORES).