Michigan to host Toledo for charity exhibition on October 25th

2 Likes

Full release:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – David and Meredith Kaplan Men’s Basketball Head Coach Dusty May announced today (Tuesday, Oct. 1) that the Wolverines will play a second charity exhibition game against Toledo on Friday, Oct. 25 at Crisler Center. The game will benefit University of Michigan Health C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and its Child and Family Life team, which offers a variety of therapies for patients including art, music, Lego and video games.

Tipoff is slated for 7:30 p.m., with the game to be broadcast live on Big Ten Network.

“After our plans for the Oakland exhibition were finalized, we wanted to develop a second game for Ann Arbor, and the campus,” said May. “Not only will we be able to play another quality opponent, but there was no better opportunity for us than to help, and showcase, Mott Children’s Hospital. Its facilities, research, and care are known worldwide. We feel honored to give back and look forward to continuing to grow our already strong partnership.”

The Wolverines’ matchup with the Rockets will be the second preseason charity game during that week as the Maize and Blue heads to downtown Detroit on Sunday (Oct. 20) for an exhibition with Oakland at Little Caesars Arena to benefit Forgotten Harvest.

Additionally, U-M’s charity game offers Michigan fans a chance to preview the 2024-25 Wolverines the night before the Wolverines football game against intrastate rival Michigan State on Saturday (Oct. 26).

“I would like to thank Dusty May for the tremendous opportunity to play Michigan in a charity exhibition game,” said Toledo head coach Tod Kowalczyk. “Dusty is one of the top coaches in the country, and this game will provide us a chance to build even more chemistry in a great road environment. More importantly, we are also honored to help the Wolverines showcase the Mott Children’s Hospital which is one of the top medical facilities in the nation.”

As a not-for-profit organization, Michigan’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital is one of the leading pediatric healthcare centers in the United States, providing comprehensive, specialized healthcare for children since 1903. Its mission is to integrate clinical care, education, research and advocacy to advance the health status of children, women and their families and communities statewide.

In December 2011, U-M Health C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital opened a state of the art, 12-story facility.

“We are grateful for the Michigan basketball team’s commitment to making a difference that goes beyond the court and their support for the children and families we serve every day at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital,” said Luanne Thomas Ewald, FACHE, M.H.A., chief operating officer at Mott and Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital.

In what will be the first exhibition matchup with Toledo, Michigan holds a 15-8 record against the Rockets. Over the last four years, the Wolverines and Rockets have met twice – 2020 and 2023.

In 2020, and playing for the first time in 37 years, Toledo replaced N.C. State (Dec. 9) for a U-M home game after the Wolfpack program was placed in COVID-19 protocols. U-M’s Hunter Dickinson had 18 points and Isaiah Livers added 16 as they guided the Wolverines to a 91-71 win. The second meeting was a 2023 NIT first-round matchup on March 14 when U-M defeated Toledo 90-80 as Kobe Bufkin led the Wolverines with 23 points, eight rebounds and five assists, while Joey Baker added 21 points.

The exhibition will be included in the Michigan men’s basketball season ticket package. Fans wishing to purchase exhibition tickets will have the option to do so when single-game tickets go on sale Wednesday (Oct. 2). To receive ticket updates, Wolverine fans can join the ticket interest list.

1 Like

So not just two charity exhibitions, but two games basically a week before Michigan usually played its single non-D1 exhibition in the past.

Very different lead up.

7 Likes

So awesome

1 Like

Well I like this…More basketball and earlier than usual. Can’t wait to see what the team looks like in action. Less than 3 weeks away now.

2 Likes

And games that aren’t necessarily high-profile high-major type of charity games, but ones that you could at least put a spread on and try to gauge how you played.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to yell in Crisler while I watch an orange ball fly around

7 Likes

I wonder if Dusty will want this to be played like a true game or if they will try things more like some controlled scrimmages of the past.

1 Like

Charity exhibitions are real games. It’ll be similar to a standard exhibition game.

I’m sure there’ll be tinkering with lineups and getting guys reps and stuff, but I don’t think there will be different rules or anything like that.

It’s not a secret scrimmage, it’s a televised exhibition.

3 Likes

and luckily we all got that heavily discounted year of btn plus!

1 Like

Toledo game is on full BTN.

7 Likes

When do you reckon the full tv schedule will come out?

1 Like

Probably any day now. Would think in the next week or so.

2 Likes

October 9th

2 Likes