Michigan Players in the NBA

Barely 6’ CP3 (I think from the video) who is a certain hall of famer with a move on 6’11" still developing player. Nothing to be embarrassed about D.J. Plus given the reaction from D.J. under the hoop (looking for a call a little) I wonder if the other angle shows an arm bar. Still played a good game.

9 Likes

Location of the shot at 0:37 :eyes: :eyes:

7 Likes

DJ…update!

2 Likes
5 Likes

I couldn’t help but laugh at the second possession in that clip (:10 mark) where a Memphis guy shoves one of his teammates toward the arc in an (assumed) attempt to get him in the correct defensive position. Whoops!

10 Likes

I know he’s rarely, if ever, mentioned here, but Jamal Crawford just scored 51 points on 18-30 shooting tonight. Dudes still got it at 39 years old. Just so happens to be the most scored off the bench ever.

13 Likes
5 Likes

Wow! I had assumed this was a case where he had used all the NBA service-time that the two-way allows, so they needed to convert him to an NBA contract in order to have bodies for the last two games. This sounds much more substantial.

I am not an expert at the NBA salary cap but I assume the way the deal is structured it has something to do with that and giving them options in the future to have right of first refusal if the want to extend him. The way the tweet explains the different options makes it sound like in order to see that money he probably has to impress this summer.

2 Likes

Yes I think it is a mostly unguaranteed contract. A lot of teams enter into these types of contracts as the season ends.

Yeah read the article on Maten (who they signed to an identical deal) - the full guarantee date is next years opening day of the regular season.

Still I had no idea that Duncan scores 21 a game in the GLeague. No offense to him, but it makes me wonder about the competition level there a little.

The game is much more wide open than in college. You also have to remember, these guys are pros. They are working on their craft like it’s their full time job. Many teams in the league (especially Sioux Falls) play at a fast pace with a lot of 3’s. It’s almost like their analytics testing ground.

2 Likes

Its a very wide open and fast paced league. Even more so than the NBA.

Another article on Duncan:

And if you’re Iggy, you think “Duncan didn’t get drafted and it still worked out, I can do the same”.

BTW, way to go Duncan!!!

2 Likes

Duncan shot 48% on threes at Sioux Falls. That’s the number that got him the contract. Spoelstra also mentioned that Duncan has improved his defense and his ability to shoot off movement, as opposed to just spot up.

G League numbers are always insanely inflated as teams go out of their way to feature the prospects under team control. Literally anyone who is sent down to the G League by a team will average 20ppg. Call it the Vernon Macklin rule.

Not bad for standing in the corner and shooting three’s! Be great at just one thing and get a potential huge payoff! Obviously DR is more than that…congratulations, DIII to the show.

Caris dunked on Duncan. Now that’s not nice.

6 Likes